Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st gen, common problems?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #21
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkaiTaco View Post
Thanks for all the quick replies! All these problems are minimal and can fixed easily unlike the 2nd gen wheel bearings and front diff bearing.

Its funny you menion the clock. I noticed that when I was driving my dads 04. I had to move and duck down to see the clock past the steering wheel heh.

Here is a growing thread about lots of common 1st gen mods and maint. that may help you, too:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post1820599

On some 2001s (and perhaps later, but not sure), there was a lower ball joint recall. This is an important fix; if it comes apart at speed, it could be really bad for you. You can run the VIN at toyotaownersonline.com or call a dealership and give them a VIN, and they will tell you if it has been done. If not, they wil do it free and will align it for free, too.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:14 AM   #22
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
Oh and don't forget to add the endless Check Engine Light gremlins...
??? I have never had one. Sounds like a vehicle-specific issue from poor maintenance or dodgy mods.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #23
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Wait. I remember one now that it's gettin into the teens here in sc.
My emergency brake light stays on for quite some time when it's really cold. Anyone else have this?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #24
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
To be honest, I cannot find one thing that has plagued me with my "02" prerunner.
I bought it off the lot. No issues whatsoever. Well...ok. That seatbelt not retracting all the way, but sheesh. no biggie. Well, I mean it retracts all the way, you just have to tug on it a time or 2.
What are you talking about??? It's missing a TC!!!! Definitely a defect........
Quote:
Wait. I remember one now that it's gettin into the teens here in sc.
My emergency brake light stays on for quite some time when it's really cold. Anyone else have this?
My 98 did this. It was the clevis on the driverside rear drum. I removed it, cleaned the rust up and re-installed. It was fine ever since.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #25
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
What are you talking about??? It's missing a TC!!!! Definitely a defect........

My 98 did this. It was the clevis on the driverside rear drum. I removed it, cleaned the rust up and re-installed. It was fine ever since.
Whats a TC? And I cleaned everything up when I did my powertrax install. It's still doing it. I just turned 75k, replaced the front brakes about 2k ago. Maybe it just needs adjusted.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #26
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Whats a TC? And I cleaned everything up when I did my powertrax install. It's still doing it. I just turned 75k, replaced the front brakes about 2k ago. Maybe it just needs adjusted.

transfer case.............It's a stab at your pre-runnerhoodness
Old 12-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #27
maconhurler is a glorious beacon of lightmaconhurler is a glorious beacon of lightmaconhurler is a glorious beacon of lightmaconhurler is a glorious beacon of lightmaconhurler is a glorious beacon of light

maconhurler's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely got the brake light thing going on, any further info you can give to fix it, I didn't understand your brief description.

Got 120+ on my '04. Never even seen my CEL on, much less had a problem with it. Do have a little chirping going on in the engine somewhere, but mechanics at family's trucking company can't figure it out and she's running great so.....
Old 12-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #28

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maconhurler View Post
Definitely got the brake light thing going on, any further info you can give to fix it, I didn't understand your brief description.

Got 120+ on my '04. Never even seen my CEL on, much less had a problem with it. Do have a little chirping going on in the engine somewhere, but mechanics at family's trucking company can't figure it out and she's running great so.....

This piece here. Remove the boot and you will find a pin that holds it in. Drive the pin out and remove the clevis. They are two disimilar metals (aluminum vs. steel) which caused the rust from the steel to bound with the aluminum. I sanded both surfaces. applied white lithium grease and reassembled.

Cmack had a similar issue, butit was the spring that was seized. I will see if he can chime in.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #29
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Fixed that for you.
LOL
Old 12-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #30

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Funny. Let me borrow a quote.
From jandrews:

"I loved watching that locked and lifted 02 out there Richard. First, it's probably the best looking 1st gen I've ever seen, but the best part was watching that thing WORK. The reason it's 2wd is they couldn't fit a transfer case underneath it next to the balls. That thing is a fighter! "

We don't need no stinking TC!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #31

Marines:
Quote:
From jandrews:

"I loved watching that locked and lifted 02 out there Richard. First, it's probably the best looking 1st gen I've ever seen, but the best part was watching that thing WORK. The reason it's 2wd is they couldn't fit a transfer case underneath it next to the balls. That thing is a fighter! "

Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #32
Pig Punisher is on a distinguished road

Pig Punisher's Tacoma Gallery
Doc says to marty mcfly:
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads, but a tc would be nice"
Old 12-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #33

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Punisher View Post
Doc says to marty mcfly:
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads, but a tc would be nice"
Agreed.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #34

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
From jandrews:

Are you guys sure about that? I thought TC meant "turd cutter," as in "That chick has a hot tango charlie!"
Old 12-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #35

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Are you guys sure about that? I thought TC meant "turd cutter," as in "That chick has a hot tango charlie!"
When discussing trucks, no.

When mall crawling in your pre, yes.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #36
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
x63618 on weak springs. Check out my profile to see my thread on my leaf springs they are in horrible condition
Old 12-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #37
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Us 1st Gen guys don't have half the problems as the 2nd Gens do. Pretty much everything has been listed. The leafs are week and sag that's why I bought the AllPro Expos. My biggest pet peeve is the seat belt not retracting and if that's the only thing that bothers you about your truck I say

Buy a 1st Gen you won't regret it.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #38
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oplaydamian View Post
Drivers side seat plastic trim ....
Good call. I replaced mine once.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #39
brg88tx is on a distinguished road
brg88tx's Tacoma Gallery
annoying dash rattles
Old 12-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #40
i love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 2nd Landing Support Battalion
Name: Chris
i love tacos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
The only major issues I've been seeing with the 1st gens is that they are slightly less awesome then the 2nd Gens.

I have feelings, sir!