Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st gen, common problems?

Old 12-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #41
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
2001 Tacoma DC 4x4 with TRD package, with 136,000 plus miles, no problems that are major. Seatbelts do not always retract and the dash does rattle, but these are very minor. Been a great truck plan on driving it to 300,000s.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #42
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
It has all pretty much been said. I have only had to do routine maintenance type stuff and I have 188K miles on my 2001. i have done the timing belts and had a tie rod to replace. The rest of the work I did on it was stuff I wanted to do. The 3.4 V6 is making a name for itself as bulletproof. All in all, the 1st gens are what the 2nd gens should be.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #43
roddyrod72 is on a distinguished road
roddyrod72's Tacoma Gallery
97 Tacoma

Over 270,000 mi now on my 97 V6 AC 4x4 and it runs like a dream. Uses NO oil between changes.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #45
Pig Punisher is on a distinguished road

Pig Punisher's Tacoma Gallery
The clock location was the same from 84 to 04 basically. It has never occured to me that it was a bad location.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #46
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have issues with CV boots?
Old 12-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #47
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anyone
Old 12-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #48

Yeah but only if you lift over 2.75 or so. A boot slip mod helps.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #49

Ok so that would be the cause of my leaky boots but it is the inner boots that are leaking not the outte. Can the mod be done on the inner and how would you do it? Hmmmm I think you may need the TC mod to begin having issues with boots, just sayin.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #50

Pretty sure I have the TC mod. Unfortunately its usually the inners that get overextended. Search boot slip mod, if not on here I know its on ttora. Basically you put a clamp inside your boot to keep it from sliping on the shaft and then clamp the boot normally. Keeps the fins from touching.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #51

TC mod wasn't intended for you lol sorry if was for the guy with the pre-runner. Ok so it is normaly the inners that have issues right and the slip mod shold fix this? Or a diff drop I bet if I had one of those I wouldn't be here with this issue.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #52

Diff drop can't hurt but prob won't help much either. however for $30 I will def do the diff drop when I go up another inch.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #53
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
OP, glad you're considering getting a 1st Gen. They're superior in all regards to their fatter, younger brothers, the 2nd Gens.

As far as problems, I think they've all been addressed (though I've only experienced weak leafs and the resulting axle wrap). With regular maintenance, my truck feels bulletproof (sig excepting).

Let us know what you get, and post pics!
Old 12-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #54

Yea I wish I would have done that months ago. Ok so I looked into the slip mod a lil and it looks pretty simple you use the old clamp to hold it from the inside and then also clamp it normally right and this is for the inner boots next to the diff? BTW thanks for the info.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #55
Hogzilla is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Hogzilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkaiTaco View Post
Sup guys, I was really thinking about getting a 2nd gen, but after reading about all the problems those things have I'm considering a cheaper 1st gen.
What? Tacomas, both gen1 and 2 are VERY solid...
Old 12-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeith747 View Post
OP, glad you're considering getting a 1st Gen. They're superior in all regards to their fatter, younger brothers, the 2nd Gens.

As far as problems, I think they've all been addressed (though I've only experienced weak leafs and the resulting axle wrap). With regular maintenance, my truck feels bulletproof (sig excepting).

Let us know what you get, and post pics!
x2 and welcome
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbm32 View Post
Yea I wish I would have done that months ago. Ok so I looked into the slip mod a lil and it looks pretty simple you use the old clamp to hold it from the inside and then also clamp it normally right and this is for the inner boots next to the diff? BTW thanks for the info.
you got it. If you're replacing your inners anyway its simple
Old 12-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #57

I guess the only hard part about it will be the I will have to remove the shaft from the diff, not fun
Old 12-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #59
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maconhurler View Post
Definitely got the brake light thing going on, any further info you can give to fix it, I didn't understand your brief description.

Got 120+ on my '04. Never even seen my CEL on, much less had a problem with it. Do have a little chirping going on in the engine somewhere, but mechanics at family's trucking company can't figure it out and she's running great so.....
Make sure your brake fluid is topped off. I tried doing just about everything that people posted on various threads to get it fixed, but nothing seemed to work. My problem was that my brake light would come on when the emergency brake seemed to be disengaged. If i pushed on the emergency brake handle, then the light would go out. As soon as I let go of it though, the light would come back on. I checked the brake fluid, since I know how sensitive it is, but that was fine. I was getting between 12 and 18 clicks when I engaged it, so I knew that was fine. I just had to lubricate the release spring and it worked like a charm! The spring is under the truck on the driver's side, like right by the side of the cab. yOu'll see it, and if you don't, you can follow the ebrake line to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
This piece here. Remove the boot and you will find a pin that holds it in. Drive the pin out and remove the clevis. They are two disimilar metals (aluminum vs. steel) which caused the rust from the steel to bound with the aluminum. I sanded both surfaces. applied white lithium grease and reassembled.

Cmack had a similar issue, butit was the spring that was seized. I will see if he can chime in.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #60

Pig Punisher what do you think about just replacing the front axle instead of dealing with the tear down of the cv boot?