LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st gen, common problems?

Old 05-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #121
se7enine will become famous soon enoughse7enine will become famous soon enough

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery

Also check the cable at the end of the brake lever, they frey and snag at the end of the handle.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #122
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
11 grand seems awful igh to me for that many miles.

Was the timing belt done at 90,000?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #123
Talk slow, shoot fast.
DirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
DirtyDTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
3. And my seatbelts dont retract very well at all.

4. That stupid plastic on the side of the seat sucks and falls off every once in a while.
These and the (might as well be) nonexistent dash clock are the only problems haha. Sometimes it's a pain to see depending on how you're sitting in the seat.. And the fact that you have to be sitting just right to see the clock is a problem in itself haha. Actually I had a girl ride to school with me for 3 months at the beginning of the year, and she rode with me last week and the first thing she said, "Your truck has a clock?!" My reply, "Exactly." lol.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #124
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen. Tacoma steering racks are a weak link...
especially when bigger tires are added.

Can't really fix junk...
but you can improve upon it !

Early 1st gen Tacoma came with an earlier designed steering rack guide
that could fail prematurely.

Later model 1st gen Tacoma should have a newly designed guide/cap.
But maybe only if it is still the factory installed steering rack.

The 1st gen steering Rack itself
is not any different then any other 1st gen Tacoma.

It's only the internal rack guide/cap that is different.
So it is possible to see an older steering rack/guide on a newer model Tacoma.
Possible if the steering rack were ever replaced.

Easy way to tell...
Look at the cap that supports the internal rack guide...
^ (driver's side of the steering rack)
If the guide cap protrudes it is of the older design.

If the cap is inverted... is likely the newly designed guide.

Replacing the old with the new...
can make a rack's consumable life expectancy a little longer
hopefully before the eventual bleed out occurs. Lol

steering rack guide upgrade

^ this link includes the part #'s required for ordering new parts for the swap !
Old 05-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #125
jra is on a distinguished road
Name: john
jra's Tacoma Gallery
belt in my 95 does that to, would think they would have fixed it by 02.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #126
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
Some first gens have a leaky cowl at the very top of the firewall that allows water to leak inside. It also makes your windshield fog up when the heater is on. Toyota has a TSB for this issue and will gladly sell you a $100 can of adhesive to fix what should have been sealed at the factory.

Steering rack bushings were not made to be replaced, you are meant to buy the whole rack. Good thing there are aftermarket polyurethane ones, but none available for 5 lug tacos.

Sometimes gear oil will leak into the rear brake drums past the axle seals. This one is dangerous.

The brakes are probably the worst of the weak points of the tacoma.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #127
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF13 View Post
SERIOUS TIMELY ADVICE NEEDED... CONSIDERING BUYING ASAP

Thinking of getting a 2004 v6 Trd extended cab with 189k miles....what's a decent price? Interior was well taken care of and timing belt needs changed...guy is 2nd owner and I'm going to take a look ASAP...he wants 11k$ for it...too much? Just about to graduate from college and need something reliable for my new job AND I'm on a budget of 10k...located in Florida...
The 180,000 mile tune up needs to be done, that is going to be around $1000 cheaper if you do it or an independent shop does the work. You also need to factor in the price for new tires. The price does seem high for an 2004 with 189k,
Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #128
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
Easy way to tell...
Look at the cap that supports the internal rack guide...
^ (driver's side of the steering rack)
If the guide cap protrudes it is of the older design.

If the cap is inverted... is likely the newly designed guide.

Replacing the old with the new...
can make a rack's consumable life expectancy a little longer
hopefully before the eventual bleed out occurs. Lol

steering rack guide upgrade

^ this link includes the part #'s required for ordering new parts for the swap !
OHH MAH GAWWDD!! you always have soo many helpful links!! defiantly going to order these parts soon, here i was looking for a completely new (rebuilt) rack. My wallet says thank you Dell!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #129
Ready to Learn
HF13 is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
HF13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaniel1274 View Post
The 180,000 mile tune up needs to be done, that is going to be around $1000 cheaper if you do it or an independent shop does the work. You also need to factor in the price for new tires. The price does seem high for an 2004 with 189k,
Ok thanks man I ended up offering all the 8k i had and he wasnt interested...maybe ill get a call back? Just gonna keep hitting clist and the for sale boards here
Old 05-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #130
PyrettaBlaze is on a distinguished road
Army: National Guard, Currently Transferring Units
Name: Kristopher
PyrettaBlaze's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
94,000 miles-still no issues.
98k on my 96. runs like a champ!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #131
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
I've had a few examples of both, a couple of them I bought new. 1st gens mechanically are a lot more stout in my opinion. So is the overall build quality although I like the earliest trucks the best. My first 05 was the least reliable Toyota I've ever owned and I've been driving Toyota 4x4's for 24 years. The first one made it through the warranty period fine. But shortly afterwards I had to work on it a LOT more than I expected to. I had to do wheel bearings on both my second gens, an alternator, A/C compressor, rattles everywhere in an extended cab, shocks were toast at 40k, the manual one I had never shifted right, one needed transmission work I couldn't figure out (wiring issue in an auto) then it started jumping from second gear to neutral then to third occasionally. Sold that one cheap and bought my 96. With 260k on it my 96 still has all the original driveline with the exception of the rear diff. It runs incredibly well and still drives like a low mileage truck. Unfortunately the cab is just too small for my family. A double cab is in my future and I think I'm going to buy another 1st gen. I'm thinking a nice TRD limited to do a 5 speed swap on would make about the perfect truck.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #132
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
My Drivers Side Ball Joint Is Going Bad, I Called Toyota And They Said It Wasn't In The Recall. AnySuggestions On What to Do? Get Moog Replacements, OEM, Or?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #133
Hackjob is on a distinguished road
Hackjob's Tacoma Gallery
bad ball joint

Hey nagorb, You should get that ball joint replaced asap! Mine went on me and literally fell apart!!! The tire ened up smooshed ino the wheel well, and the ball assembly was pushed down into the ground by the suspension, fortunatley I was just turning around in my driveway at the time. But if it had happened at highway speeds it could have resulted in a severe accident! I called Toyota, but my truck was not part of the recall production window, so they refused to do anything! I don't have any opinion on what parts to replace it with, I just ordered the part from my local NAPA and changed it in my driveway (with a lot of advice and some tools from a mechanic friend of mine).
Other than that mini potential nightmare I love my little Taco!
Old 12-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #134
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Already replaced, I've seen them go bad, though it seems most tend to fail at low speeds for some reason, nut sure why though.

and welcome to TW!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #135
blitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblitzburgh99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
blitzburgh99's Tacoma Gallery
Most common problem?

THEY DON'T MAKE THEM ANYMORE!!!!!!!!

No offense to the second gen guys, but I test drove a double cab sport 4x4 and i just didn't feel it.....
Old 12-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #136
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
My o2 sensor in front of the cat has plagued me for the past 4 years. It just went out again on my trip from VA to FL. Not too much of an issue as it is a relatively cheap part that can be replaced in about 20 minutes but damn its irritating to see my mpg drop from 21 to 18
Old 12-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #137
fast5speed is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
fast5speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
Already replaced, I've seen them go bad, though it seems most tend to fail at low speeds for some reason, nut sure why though.
Maybe because when they fail at high speeds, nobody survives to tell you about it

This is a very useful list as I just bought a 2000 ext cab, 4x4, 5 speed, v6 TRD SR5 Taco!! Upgraded from the similar Nissan Hardbody.
Man, there's so much support for these trucks, I love it!

It's great to see how short the list is. Frame rust, timing belt, and the clock comes in at #3! That's fantastic. That an ill-placed clock is actually the 3rd biggest issue with an automobile.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #138
Veteran
low boy is on a distinguished road

Army: Operator
Name: Matt
low boy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettb View Post
x63618 on weak springs. Check out my profile to see my thread on my leaf springs they are in horrible condition

nice truck, also i see no one has brought up the spare tire bomb yet...
Old 12-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #139
Bgt51ridescr is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: POST Certified
Name: Brian
Bgt51ridescr's Tacoma Gallery
I have had three first gen. I had a balljoint separate at about 45. The wheel came up into the wheel well. I just floored it to get it off of the street into a parking lot. But the part that takes the cake is the tow truck driver had two tie downs holding the arms together. He let one of them off after setting it in my driveway and I started to yell hey. He stopped me to tell me how long he had been doing his job, so I just stood there and watched as he released the second one as the wheel well came down on top of his arm with his arm i between the wheel well and wheel. Lucky he was not hurt just asked for my help once he pulled his arm out. I think I told him that is what I was trying to tell you, but all in all ball joints = Tacomas weak link if not taken care of and replaced after driving and off-roading.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #140
Rickalders is on a distinguished road
Rickalders's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
I STILL can't find the damn dash clock
Just bought one off eBay for $63. The connector was already there just waiting to be connected...