Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st gen, common problems?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
ZenkaiTaco is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
ZenkaiTaco's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen, common problems?

Sup guys, I was really thinking about getting a 2nd gen, but after reading about all the problems those things have I'm considering a cheaper 1st gen. Especially since the 2nd gen's are so damn expensive.

Now to my question, I haven't noticed any stickies here in the 1st gen section about common problems or tsb's. Is it just cause the 1st gens are bullet proof/perfect/last longer then you'll live or what? Thanks guys.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Frame rust
Timing belt replacement
I STILL can't find the damn dash clock
Old 12-14-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
there's a dash clock?
Old 12-14-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
there's a dash clock?
Exactly!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Should be included in the SR5 package
Old 12-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Frame rust
Timing belt replacement
I STILL can't find the damn dash clock
^ No timing belt replacement here !!!

List of Cons (Easy Fixes tho)

Frame rust
Weak Leaf's
Leaky Transfer Case
Dash Clock
Old 12-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
The only major issues I've been seeing with the 1st gens is that they are slightly less awesome then the 2nd Gens.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
The only major issues I've been seeing with the 2nd gens is that they are majorly less awesome then the 1st Gens.

Fixed that for you.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #9

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Should be included in the SR5 package
It's a joke. *taps keyboard* Is this thing on?
Old 12-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #10

Marines:
Quote:
It's a joke. *taps keyboard* Is this thing on?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #11

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
It's OK, just try and keep up. the internet moves pretty fast.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #12
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
weak leafs......aal can take care of that for the most part...or a new set of leafs.......dash clock is in a decidedly dumb spot......steering rack bushings wear out quick...but replacement is cheap and easy......other than that.....i havent really found too much bad in my first gen. i like it alot better than the 06 that i previously had.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #13

Marines:
Quote:
It's OK, just try and keep up. the internet moves pretty fast.
I don't recall if mine had one..........
Old 12-14-2010, 07:41 AM   #14
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
94,000 miles-still no issues.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #15
Pig Punisher is on a distinguished road

Pig Punisher's Tacoma Gallery
Pre- 01's cast exhaust manifold on 4cyl are notorious for cracking.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #16
ZenkaiTaco is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
ZenkaiTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the quick replies! All these problems are minimal and can fixed easily unlike the 2nd gen wheel bearings and front diff bearing.

Its funny you menion the clock. I noticed that when I was driving my dads 04. I had to move and duck down to see the clock past the steering wheel heh.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #17
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
like others have said:
- frame rust
- weak springs
- steering bushings

i love my 2000, and i'm going to drive it til the wheels fall off.

p.s. mine doesn't even have a dash clock (and it's not worth putting in because of its silly location) so i just have my headunit set to always display the time.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #18
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and don't forget to add the endless Check Engine Light gremlins...
Old 12-14-2010, 09:01 AM   #19
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
Oh and don't forget to add the endless Check Engine Light gremlins...
Never had a check engine light on my stock 2002 2.4l.
My cell phone is my clock cause my plain jane tacoma didn't come with one.
No problems with mine but it only has 101k mies.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #20
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
To be honest, I cannot find one thing that has plagued me with my "02" prerunner.
I bought it off the lot. No issues whatsoever. Well...ok. That seatbelt not retracting all the way, but sheesh. no biggie. Well, I mean it retracts all the way, you just have to tug on it a time or 2.