Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

3.4l oil capacity?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
3.4l oil capacity?

asking you guys who change your oil yourself .... cause i googled and its saying 5.5 qts if i change the filter too which sounds like a LOT to me ... then again ive never owned a vehicle until now that wasnt a 4cyl

anyhow, chime in .... otherwise ill put in 5qts and see where the dipstick is at.

5w-30 right?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
I have been using 5.5 quarts in my truck. I go by the dipstick.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
5.5 with the filter.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

97T's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the verification guys, now i need a bigger used oil container and gotta buy the 5qt from walmart and an extra one!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97T View Post
thanks for the verification guys, now i need a bigger used oil container and gotta buy the 5qt from walmart and an extra one!
Yeah its pretty annoying having to buy that extra quart.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Yeah its pretty annoying having to buy that extra quart.
It is alil odd haha. But I love doing maintence just to know my Taco is gettin some lovin.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Resident T100 guy

97T's Tacoma Gallery
yea most of my old rigs required 4 or so, so id keep the rest of the container and every 5th oil change id have enough to not have to buy a container!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
Resident T100 guy

97T's Tacoma Gallery
nice sig!
Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
giddy up!
derekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 4C071
Name: Derek
derekp's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to derekp
Quote:
asking you guys who change your oil yourself .... cause i googled and its saying 5.5 qts if i change the filter too which sounds like a LOT to me ... then again ive never owned a vehicle until now that wasnt a 4cyl

anyhow, chime in .... otherwise ill put in 5qts and see where the dipstick is at.

5w-30 right?
That's using your dipstick, Jimmy!!!

Yup, 5.5. I have never changed my oil and not my filter...has anyone else done that?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
J-rob
beefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J-Rob
beefcake's Tacoma Gallery
i put 6 quarts in and always have and i use the K&N oil filter
Old 12-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
mine took 6 with a OE toyota filter. Most book capacities just place the oil line somewhere in the middle of the hash marks on the dipstick. 6 quarts was just below full for me.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
braaap

yes 6 will put it at the top line but I prefer it to be perfectly in the middle.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #13
Resident T100 guy

97T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekp View Post
Yup, 5.5. I have never changed my oil and not my filter...has anyone else done that?
my buddy had an 04 corolla and once it was out of the dealer free service time, he could not for the life of him get the damn thing off, so he changed just the oil and the next time he took it to a friend of his who worked at an oil change place and asked him if he could get it off, if he wouldnt tighten the shit out of the new one

that friend later admitted to us at a party that when new hondas came in and he saw the blue factory filter he sometimes wouldnt change those lol
Old 12-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #14
Miata Tech is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiata Tech is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiata Tech is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiata Tech is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiata Tech is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiata Tech is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiata Tech is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiata Tech is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiata Tech is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiata Tech is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiata Tech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
Miata Tech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroberts View Post
i put 6 quarts in and always have and i use the K&N oil filter
X2
Old 12-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #15
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
my buddy had an 04 corolla and once it was out of the dealer free service time, he could not for the life of him get the damn thing off, so he changed just the oil and the next time he took it to a friend of his who worked at an oil change place and asked him if he could get it off, if he wouldnt tighten the shit out of the new one

that friend later admitted to us at a party that when new hondas came in and he saw the blue factory filter he sometimes wouldnt change those lol
factory toyota filters have a different style of seal than every aftermarket filter i've seen. It's a tube style, not a square cut. It makes the filters much harder to remove.