Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Gas Mileage!!!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
cclax2145 is on a distinguished road

cclax2145's Tacoma Gallery
Gas Mileage!!!

Hi ive got a 2002 tacoma pre runner v6 and ever since i bought it used at 60k miles i have been getting about 13 miles to the gallon city and im just not sure if this is normal for this model or if there is something wrong. Any help would be worth a lot. thanks
Old 08-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles do you have on it? Have you changed the plugs, kept it properly maintained, properly inflated the tires, etc.?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #3

My truck now has 65k miles on it. Yea i recently looked at the plugs and they looked fine but im going to replace them tomorrow. Ive been keeping the tire pressure at the recomended pressure also.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
How's the airfilter look?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
replace the fuel filter and switch over to synthetic and gear oils, as this will help some!! also......maybe put in a high flow air filter.....like the afe pro dry s!
Old 08-14-2008, 11:44 PM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclax2145 View Post
thanks do you think the fuel filter could help alot or could this be a bigger problem.
Not necessarily.... unless you have some debris in your gas tank that's clogging up the system (filter/pump/etc)..?? Changing the fuel filter is relatively easy to do yourself and it's peace of mind.

Auto or manual?

Amoung everything everyone else has already said....

How about running some fuel treatment /fuel injector cleaner through the tank?

Call around to some of the auto stores and ask them if they still do FREE diagnostic screenings to read trouble codes on your computer. I'm not sure if they still do that. And...ASK them if their *Reader* will give you a history of codes (since your CEL light isn't currently on).

The next thing...is to check your exhaust somehow to make sure it's breathing properly (CAT, muffler, etc). I think that has something to do with reading the intake vacuum? I have no clue...and would have to research that myself.

How's the truck feel on power?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #9

Its an automatic and yea ive ran a total of 2 cans of that techron fuel injector cleaner. Tomorrow im going to change my spark plugs change the fuel filter, and just do any thing else that needs to be done. And i will reply back with how it goes.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #10
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclax2145 View Post
Its an automatic and yea ive ran a total of 2 cans of that techron fuel injector cleaner. Tomorrow im going to change my spark plugs change the fuel filter, and just do any thing else that needs to be done. And i will reply back with how it goes.
something else you can do...........get some seafoam and run some thru the brake booster line. that will clean out the intake pretty good. but also, get some seafoam deep creep and clean the throttle body really good. this will help greatly too man!!
Old 08-16-2008, 12:55 AM   #11

Thanks do u know of any forums or sites were people have documented how to clean the throttle body or could i just do it with the taco repair and maintnes manual
Old 08-16-2008, 04:36 AM   #12
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Here's one I used a lot in the past...
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...tenancep5.html
Old 08-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #13
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
You might try increasing your Tire PSI.
For better MPG you need to increase allot, but no so much it makes your tires where funny.

Also normal tire loose 1-2 PSI every 30 days. So keep up on refilling with filter air.
So the least amoutn of water get in the tire.

Also play around with Spark Gap. if you ahve added other mods in to increase
Old 08-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #14
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the time I get 18 to 19 MPG on my truck. That is combined city & freeway though, and also the truck is stock.....
Old 08-19-2008, 12:08 PM   #15
baloo is on a distinguished road
baloo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermx5 View Post
You might try increasing your Tire PSI.
For better MPG you need to increase allot, but no so much it makes your tires where funny.

Also normal tire loose 1-2 PSI every 30 days. So keep up on refilling with filter air.
So the least amoutn of water get in the tire.

Ditto this. When using "recommended" tire pressure, go with the MAX pressure as printed on the sidewall of the tire, not the door tag.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I've been getting about the same mileage too. Last time I checked I was getting about 15, mostly city. I'm ganna put a bit more air in my tires, since there all at around 35 psi. See if it helps. Also get some fuel injector cleaner. I know that my plugs got changed at 90K miles, Im at just over 100k right now. So I dont really now what else I can do. I even cleaned the TB and AMF sensor.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTaco23 View Post
I've been getting about the same mileage too. Last time I checked I was getting about 15, mostly city. I'm ganna put a bit more air in my tires, since there all at around 35 psi. See if it helps. Also get some fuel injector cleaner. I know that my plugs got changed at 90K miles, Im at just over 100k right now. So I dont really now what else I can do. I even cleaned the TB and AMF sensor.
use some techron....good stuff, and have you changed your fuel filter??
Old 08-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermx5 View Post
WHAT? Keep the plugs gapped at what is recomended. You are gonna open up a weird can of worms if you strat "playing" around with your spark plug gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
Ditto this. When using "recommended" tire pressure, go with the MAX pressure as printed on the sidewall of the tire, not the door tag.
Dont just "MAX" your tires. Use a ckalk or paint mark to find the correct psi for you tires. Maxing your tire psi can adversly affect handling and performance of the truck.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #20
Banned
YoYo_32757 will become famous soon enough
YoYo_32757's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
WHAT? Keep the plugs gapped at what is recomended. You are gonna open up a weird can of worms if you strat "playing" around with your spark plug gap.

Dont just "MAX" your tires. Use a ckalk or paint mark to find the correct psi for you tires. Maxing your tire psi can adversly affect handling and performance of the truck.

So true! If you crash...you go BOOM!!!!!
Not good....you might as well be kite surfing in a tropical storm.....
Sorry...that's already been done.