Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Charging issues?

Old 12-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
AEDC is on a distinguished road
AEDC's Tacoma Gallery
Charging issues?

Hello,
I have a few questions on the charging system on the 2002 Tucoma.
The charging system is not keeping the battery charged. Now thats usually an obvious thing however after getting a new alternator installed I have the same issues back within 3 days. The battery has been changed as well through this process.
I was also wondering if changing the headlights to a higher wattage would have added to this issue?
What is the stock output on this vehicle?
And is the regulator integtrated into the alternator or is there any external componet that regulates this elsewhere..
Or did I just actually get a bum replacement.
Any help would be great. Dont have access to any manuals etc as were out for the holiday weekend.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
The voltage regulator is integrated into the alternator. Measure the voltage at the battery with the truck running. It should be 13.7 VDC or higher. I think the stock alt puts out 90AMPS but I am not 100% sure on that. You can also have the system load tested.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
If you changed out the alternator and the battery I would check your battery cables. If everything looks good I would look for something that is draining the battery.

Did you have the battery or alternator tested before you changed them or are you just throwing parts at it and hoping to correct the issue?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
AEDC's Tacoma Gallery
well heres the irony,, Im an experianced mechanic. And belive me when I say I went for all the obvious things. Cables are good, wires check out. Even tagged the yellow wire and didnt get a change other than alt light turning off. System runs at proper voltage until the load hits it. Dies slowly. What boggles me is it was tested and said to ok. Got a new alt. Minutes later same prob. It was a re-man...
Its my buddies truck. Were kinda displaced so I figured the net would be best to figure this out.
So basically Im starting to belive its just not enough amps. He started to have these probs after installing a new set of "high power" headlight bulbs. My test drive show no issues with the lights off.
Im thinking the new load overworks the regulator. The lights I believe are about 200watts which would make for about 16 amps roughly. Most alternators are rated for about 75% capacity.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Anyone recommend a better alternator?
Old 12-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So basically Im starting to belive its just not enough amps. He started to have these probs after installing a new set of "high power" headlight bulbs. My test drive show no issues with the lights off.
People run high wattage amps with little issue. I would look for a current draw coming from something but first I would put the stock bulbs back in.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
AEDC's Tacoma Gallery
Well, that would leave the last option as hes left those at home. Im fairly certain he just got a de-bunk reman on the replacement.
So to be certain theres no body control modules etc that interupt the charge circuit?
It does stall when the bat is disconnected...

The three wires? Yellow I belive is the charge signal?
Anyone know the pin-out on them? Thanks? Then I think Im good thanks.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #8
AEDC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
Its pretty conclusive if it wont stay running when the battery is disconnected...
Agreed... Thanks everyone and Ill be sure to post the outcome.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #9
AEDC's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah almost forgot , anyone know the pin-out for the colored wires on the hardshell that plugs into the back of the alternator? The small , (yellow, red , white) wires?
Thanks.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:54 AM   #10
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Wiri...emci/016cs.pdf
Old 10-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
CdnSldr is on a distinguished road
Army: Vehicle Tech. CPL, Maint. Coy, 18 Service Battalion
Name: Josh
CdnSldr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Can anyone confirm if this is the same for a 96 3.4? It appears to be the same, 3 pin (red, yellow, white) harness, however my 96 has an 80amp fuse, not the 120 thats shown for the 2003.

Im having a very similar issue. Been thru 2 different alternators already...really hoping I got another bad one.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #12
shanetaco is on a distinguished road
Name: shane
shanetaco's Tacoma Gallery
first i would check the grounds (battery to chassie, chassie to engine block, then battery to body) and make sure they were all sanded clean and tight.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
CdnSldr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanetaco View Post
first i would check the grounds (battery to chassie, chassie to engine block, then battery to body) and make sure they were all sanded clean and tight.
Ive checked everything, I even ran a separate jumper wire from the alt housing to the negative terminal just to be safe.

Ive done continuity tests at every connection that I could find.

What I need to know is which wire supply's the "signal" to the alt? According to the above diagram it is the the white wire via the 7.5amp fuse. I jumped 12v right to the white pin (middle) on the alt and still no output.

Another thing is: My DRL's are not working. Which leads me to believe that no power is coming from the yellow wire (as per diagram). My truck doesnt have the low voltage light either (or the bulb is burnt out)

The blower motor is not working either. It quit the same time the alt crapped out, so I dont think the motor is bad.

I cant get the alt tested for a few more days so I will be waiting for any helpful responses!

Thanks TW!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #14
CdnSldr's Tacoma Gallery
Bumpidy bump....anybody??