1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First time driving the taco over the rockies.. question abt driveline

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ywen, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Dec 30, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    ywen

ywen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Took my v6 auto thru the rockies alon I 70.. and I've noticed a performance characteristic about the truck..

Climbing up an incline, when attempting to gain speed at the same time, the truck would downshift and resulting in extremely loud engine noise and vibration, this is also accompanied by a jolt that can be felt. When it happened the first few times, it caught me by surprise and also felt like the truck was going to blow up.

Just for reference my normal driving behavior is that i'd tap on the gas lightly and stay around or below 2000rpm.. so I hardly ever experience these violent noises/vibrations..

Normal?

2. Dec 30, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    malander

malander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    That's cruise control for ya. When you say vibrations can you describe them a lil better? Usually when I'm using cruise and going uphill it'll downshift and hit about 2500-2650 rpm and make alotta noise :burnrubber: but no bad vibrations

3. Dec 30, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    ywen

Member:
    Not using cruise... just the computer downshifting when trying to gain speed during an incline..

Vibration just accompanying the loud ass engine noise.. I guess it could be just from the engine. Will pay attention to it better the next time.

Also the truck jolts when downshifting between 2k-3k rpm and if I let off the gas suddenly it will jolt again

4. Dec 30, 2010 at 8:54 AM
    Flash1034

Flash1034 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N/W Montana
    Vehicle:
    2023 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, Solar Octane, Automatic
    MESO Stage 1.5 LED Taillights Falken Wildpeak AT3W Tires in 265/75-16
    Torque convertor locking and unlocking is my guess. Normal.

Flash

5. Dec 30, 2010 at 10:48 AM
    malander

malander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    yeah that sounds pretty normal. It's kind of hard to get a sense of how hard the vibrations and jolts are but if they're survivable then I would think that everything is fine

6. Dec 30, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    FlyingWil

FlyingWil Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Wil
    Sonoran Desert
    Vehicle:
    01 DC Expedition Ready
    Shrockworks Front Bumper, LightForce 240's, PIAA 510's,T-Max 9000 competition winch with Outback (longer drum) and modified brake wireless controller and Masterpull line with Viking safety thimble, Rugged Ridge Hawse, Daystar Winch isolator, SAW Racerunner 2.5 coilovers, Safari Snorkel, IBS dual battery system with RBM, Scangauge II, Total Vision self spotting kit and monitor with aux output and remote, Low Tek Gauge pod with Cyberdyne gauges for fridge and battery, Yeasu FT-7800 head unit mounted in ceiling linner and speaker Larson Hood mount, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio in the ash tray location,'lil Wil Mag mount antenna, Odessey 1200 MJT & Die Hard Plat. dual batteries, Can-Back with extra mounts, Blue Sea 12 st Fuse Box, 100 Amp 100 Amp Relay, Extremeaire & 5 Gal air tank w/ 145 psi switch, Custom bed drawer system, Engel Mt-45 with TwoZone, protective covers, and Engel Slide Eezi-Awn 1600 RTT w/ Ikea LED light mod, and sheet set, CBI offroad Expedition rear bumper, jerry can tir
    Sound pretty normal... two things come to my mind:

1. Double check your drive shaft carrier bearing... this can cause drive-line vibrations when the shaft is under torque.
    2. You running stock tires/gears? Larger tire diameters can cause the truck to shift at odd points. (You can also use the ETC to raise the shift points when going uphill...this might help a bit)

7. Dec 30, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Yep, it's a truck and that's how they roll.

8. Dec 30, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    ywen

Member:
    Yeah I run stock tires and susppension.. my first truck so I guess I'm still getting used to the lack of refinement.. thanks all

9. Dec 30, 2010 at 8:49 PM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    Hitting vail pass on the uphill side will butt f any transmission...

Products Discussed in

To Top