Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

First time driving the taco over the rockies.. question abt driveline

Old 12-30-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
First time driving the taco over the rockies.. question abt driveline

Took my v6 auto thru the rockies alon I 70.. and I've noticed a performance characteristic about the truck..

Climbing up an incline, when attempting to gain speed at the same time, the truck would downshift and resulting in extremely loud engine noise and vibration, this is also accompanied by a jolt that can be felt. When it happened the first few times, it caught me by surprise and also felt like the truck was going to blow up.

Just for reference my normal driving behavior is that i'd tap on the gas lightly and stay around or below 2000rpm.. so I hardly ever experience these violent noises/vibrations..

Normal?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
That's cruise control for ya. When you say vibrations can you describe them a lil better? Usually when I'm using cruise and going uphill it'll downshift and hit about 2500-2650 rpm and make alotta noise but no bad vibrations
Old 12-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Not using cruise... just the computer downshifting when trying to gain speed during an incline..

Vibration just accompanying the loud ass engine noise.. I guess it could be just from the engine. Will pay attention to it better the next time.

Also the truck jolts when downshifting between 2k-3k rpm and if I let off the gas suddenly it will jolt again
Old 12-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
Flash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to behold
Army: CPT MI 35D
Flash1034's Tacoma Gallery
Torque convertor locking and unlocking is my guess. Normal.

Flash
Old 12-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
yeah that sounds pretty normal. It's kind of hard to get a sense of how hard the vibrations and jolts are but if they're survivable then I would think that everything is fine
Old 12-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
FlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wil
FlyingWil's Tacoma Gallery
Sound pretty normal... two things come to my mind:
  1. Double check your drive shaft carrier bearing... this can cause drive-line vibrations when the shaft is under torque.
  2. You running stock tires/gears? Larger tire diameters can cause the truck to shift at odd points. (You can also use the ETC to raise the shift points when going uphill...this might help a bit)
Old 12-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, it's a truck and that's how they roll.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I run stock tires and susppension.. my first truck so I guess I'm still getting used to the lack of refinement.. thanks all