Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Replacing Steering Rack, advice needed...

Old 12-31-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
Ry1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Machinery Technician
Ry1984's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing Steering Rack, advice needed...

So Im going to DIY my steering rack. I realized how easy it would be when i replaced my rack bushing a while back, thats when i noticed the leak on one of the boots. now when i turn hard, i get about 4 drips on both boots per turn! anyway my question is, anyone know where i can get a cheap rack online? and is all i am going to need is the rack, new boots, and new bushings? thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
NegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NegroTundra's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine from NAPA....many will tell you to not get anything other than Toyota OEM, but NAPA worked well for me and after I returned the core, cost ~$285. There are cheaper options thru autozone and what not but I don't trust there stuff. The new rack should come with bellow and inner TRE's. It doesn't come with the outer TRE's, but at ~$35 a piece, I would go ahead and replace those too. The rack will come with both drivers side bushing, you have to supply the D-ring bushing on the passenger side, just reuse your *new* one. Good luck, the project isn't that hard, just very time consuming. I was really wishing I had a third hand at many point in the project.

BTW....most every rack you'll find for sale is a rebuilt/remanufactured
Old 12-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Ry1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Machinery Technician
Ry1984's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NegroTundra View Post
I got mine from NAPA....many will tell you to not get anything other than Toyota OEM, but NAPA worked well for me and after I returned the core, cost ~$285. There are cheaper options thru autozone and what not but I don't trust there stuff. The new rack should come with bellow and inner TRE's. It doesn't come with the outer TRE's, but at ~$35 a piece, I would go ahead and replace those too. The rack will come with both drivers side bushing, you have to supply the D-ring bushing on the passenger side, just reuse your *new* one. Good luck, the project isn't that hard, just very time consuming. I was really wishing I had a third hand at many point in the project.

BTW....most every rack you'll find for sale is a rebuilt/remanufactured
im impressed you did it by yourself!
Old 12-31-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
NegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Its not that bad.....just lots of details
Old 12-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
1welder will become famous soon enough

Name: tony grace
1welder's Tacoma Gallery
trailgear website has one on it for $400.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
MontanaYoter is on a distinguished road
Name: Henry
MontanaYoter's Tacoma Gallery
I need to do mine too. I'm just wondering how hard its going to be and what I'm getting myself into. I'm no mechanic... do you guys think I can do it myself or is it worth forking over a grand to the dealer and having it done right?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #7

You can do it yourself.....i'm merely a weekend mechanic (oil changes and the like). Take your time, prepare, and you can do anything. This will help.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...k-replacement/