1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Two whine/buzz noises need input *tried search*

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by glsmaverick, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Jan 5, 2011 at 4:18 AM
    glsmaverick

glsmaverick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Howell MI
    Vehicle:
    96 Taco; 2.7l 4x4 5spd
    None
    Good morning everyone,

I have a 96 2.7l 4x4 5sp regular cab tacoma. It has about 137,000 miles on it and runs great. The previous owner performed a lot of maintenance items on it and provided receipts for everything so I do know that it was well taken care of and I would like to keep it running strong for a long time. Its basically a daily driver I dont do any trail driving or offroading really but I do go backpacking so it occassionally sees a two track but only about 1% of my driving.

So now that you know a little bit about the truck here are my issues.

1. Screaming buzz from what sounds like the dash. Now that it has gotten cold here in MI I get this weird buzz that sounds like it is dependent on speed and sounds like it is coming from the dash. It does vary in pitch and goes away as soon as I drop below like 5mph. I am thinking speedo cable but since this is my first Tacoma and I have only had it for about 8 months I am not entirely sure. It only happens when it is below about 30F outside; the colder it is the worse it is but after everything is up to temp it goes away and does not come back after sitting while I am at work; only overnight.

2. Transmission whine at 45mph, 55mph & 75mph. As I accelerate and hit 45mph in 3rd, 55mph in 4th and 75mph in 5th I get a whine from the transmission. It goes away as soon as I hit the clutch and for the shifts from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th. Also if I am in 5th and accelerate to 78 (for example) it will whine but the whine will go away after a short period of time if I hold at this speed (I just did that for experimental reasons; I won't driver over 75mph until I figure out the whine). This issue presented itself when I was driving up north last week and had the hubs locked for the whole day. I was in 2high most of the trip but was in 4hi a couple times due to road conditions and 4low to hit the snowy two track to get to the guys house where I bought my topper; I had never heard it before that trip.

So there's is what I am dealing with. I have a bit of extra money right now so I would like to remedy these maintenance issues before I get my Billy 5100's and a couple other goodies for the truck that I have been planning on for a while now. Please take a minute and help me out if you can. Thanks.

2. Jan 5, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    glsmaverick

Member:
    Howell MI
    Vehicle:
    96 Taco; 2.7l 4x4 5spd
    None
    Anybody?

3. Jan 5, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I think I have buzz 1... Does it do it only if your engine braking? Like you have it in any gear and let off the gas it buzzes? Its just your dash board... These trucks are notorious for squeaky and rattling dashes. Its annoying but there's nothing wrong.

4. Jan 5, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    glsmaverick

Member:
    Howell MI
    Vehicle:
    96 Taco; 2.7l 4x4 5spd
    None
    No it only happens when its super cold and increases in volume as I speed up and then disappears under 5mph.

I am pretty sure that one is the speedo cable after doing some more google searching. The whine from tranny happens both with and without the front locked into 4wd just thought I would throw that in there.

5. Jan 6, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Hmmm... then I have no idea. Good luck man

Products Discussed in

To Top