Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ECT Power button.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Hogzilla [OP] Hogzilla is offline
Member
Hogzilla is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Joined: Nov 2010, #46324
Location: DFW, Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 63
Hogzilla's Tacoma Gallery
ECT Power button.

So what exactly does it do? I know it makes the tranny shift at higher rpms, but does this make any real difference? Also, what kind of hit do you take in your mpg while in "power" mode?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
Joined: Dec 2009, #27905
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Age: 30
Gender: Dude
Posts: 35,291
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Shift points is all. Some say they get better mileage with it on all the time. Personally I'm glad they got rid of the feature in the 2nd gens because it confuses too many owners and they never bother to look in the manual to see what it does.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
Senior Member
v1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to all
Joined: Dec 2010, #47988
Location: Bay Area, California
Gender: Male
Posts: 136
v1ndictiv3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogzilla View Post
So what exactly does it do? I know it makes the tranny shift at higher rpms, but does this make any real difference? Also, what kind of hit do you take in your mpg while in "power" mode?
*Note, I have a 2.7

So today was the first time I've used the ect power mode to see the difference in power output at higher rpm... When I first got my truck I test drove it out on a highway and floored it a bunch of different times from various cruising speeds to see how well it accelerates and it accelerated fairly quickly but obviously lacks the power of a v6 or higher. I only took it to 95mph and was at about 4000 rpms-ish. Was curious about the power mode so I turned it on today, was cruising at about 50mph on the highway when I floored it... Huge difference, to me at least... It accelerated considerably quicker (lot less time to hit 95mph) and the rpm were hanging around in the 5000 rpms... I decided to stop there because I don't like redlining my vehicle if I don't have to and it was at the base of the redline. As for gas consumption, I think that if you use the power mode and drive normally and conservatively you won't notice a difference. In either mode when I floored it I lost a considerable amount of gas, perhaps a bit more with the power... Just my experience.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Senior Member
11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
11BSSG's Avatar
Army: Infantry
Name: Matt
Joined: Oct 2010, #44386
Location: 33°28'18"N /-86°48'2"W
Age: 30
Gender: Dude
Posts: 276
11BSSG's Tacoma Gallery
ECT (Electronically Controlled Transmission) electronically adjusts the rpm at which the transmission shifts. With ECT activated, the automatic transmission will rev to a higher RPM before shifting, and allows quicker acceleration by keeping the engine closer to its power band. Also decreasing fuel economy. It doesn't actually change anything going on in the engine, mess with fuel mapping, ignition timing or any other crazy claim you may have read. Its not a magic "add 50 HP" button, just holds shifts a little longer. I suggest leaving the ECT turned off unless you have a load and are merging on the freeway or something. In my old 4Runner, even if I had the ECT on I had to damn near floor it to see the RPM "hang" and any difference in shifting. The hit you take on mpg's depends on how heavy your foot it....is almost impossible to give a hard # on how much your MPG's will drop. (Order a ScanGauge II or UltraGauge and play with them if you want to figure out your MPG loss. Unless you floor it everywhere you go, there is no point in leaving the ECT power on. Hope this helps.


Also: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ect-power.html

and

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...3-4l-only.html

search is your friend.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
x2468's Avatar
Joined: Jul 2009, #19879
Location: Tallahassee
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,629
x2468's Tacoma Gallery
I leave mine on unless for some reason i need to tip-toe, such as really bad weather or something
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
I like turtles!!!
The Munster will become famous soon enoughThe Munster will become famous soon enough
 
The Munster's Avatar
Air Force: A1C 822BDS
Name: Lance
Joined: Oct 2010, #44355
Location: Moody AFB, GA
Age: 23
Gender: Dude
Posts: 140
The Munster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1ndictiv3 View Post
*Note, I have a 2.7

So today was the first time I've used the ect power mode to see the difference in power output at higher rpm... When I first got my truck I test drove it out on a highway and floored it a bunch of different times from various cruising speeds to see how well it accelerates and it accelerated fairly quickly but obviously lacks the power of a v6 or higher. I only took it to 95mph and was at about 4000 rpms-ish. Was curious about the power mode so I turned it on today, was cruising at about 50mph on the highway when I floored it... Huge difference, to me at least... It accelerated considerably quicker (lot less time to hit 95mph) and the rpm were hanging around in the 5000 rpms... I decided to stop there because I don't like redlining my vehicle if I don't have to and it was at the base of the redline. As for gas consumption, I think that if you use the power mode and drive normally and conservatively you won't notice a difference. In either mode when I floored it I lost a considerable amount of gas, perhaps a bit more with the power... Just my experience.
The Rpms could have been higher because the ECM disengaged the torque converter lock up. That would explain why your Rpms where up
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold
 
Rippin101's Avatar
Name: John
Joined: Jun 2008, #7412
Location: Jax Beach, FL
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,047
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
I honestly was wondering the same thing...
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #9
Junior Member
fozalgerts is on a distinguished road
Army: Retired
Name: Mike
Joined: Apr 2014, #128815
Location: OK
Gender: Male
Posts: 3
fozalgerts's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you Matt, your post was very helpful.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
Senior Member
Zer0 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Dec 2013, #118626
Location: SGV, California
Gender: Male
Posts: 283
Zer0's Tacoma Gallery
Would ECT help me out when going uphill? When ever I drive to NorCal, my truck always struggles in the grapevine and i always find myself in the slow lane with the big-rigs. Will ECT help me out in this scenario? thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
Do you even travel bro?
TashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
TashcomerTexas's Avatar
Name: Dereck
Joined: Apr 2014, #127853
Location: Texshus
Gender: Male
Posts: 905
TashcomerTexas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Would ECT help me out when going uphill? When ever I drive to NorCal, my truck always struggles in the grapevine and i always find myself in the slow lane with the big-rigs. Will ECT help me out in this scenario? thanks
Put it in 2 and switch it on.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:43 PM   #13
braaAAAP
shipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
shipps's Avatar
Name: Josh
Joined: Sep 2012, #86958
Location: Wyoming
Age: 22
Gender: Dude
Posts: 1,609
shipps's Tacoma Gallery
Electronically Controlled Turbo, incredible feature really.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:44 PM   #14
Senior Member
Zer0 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Dec 2013, #118626
Location: SGV, California
Gender: Male
Posts: 283
Zer0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashcomerTexas View Post
Put it in 2 and switch it on.
I put the gear in 2 and turn ECT on? Im going at freeway speeds (65-70) is it safe to downshift to 2 and turn on ECT? thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #15
Do you even travel bro?
TashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
TashcomerTexas's Avatar
Name: Dereck
Joined: Apr 2014, #127853
Location: Texshus
Gender: Male
Posts: 905
TashcomerTexas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
I put the gear in 2 and turn ECT on? Im going at freeway speeds (65-70) is it safe to downshift to 2 and turn on ECT? thanks
Yeah no just the ECT. You should never use speed as a guideline when switching gears, base it on the RPMs. And when it comes to automatics switching gears gets more complex; you can shift anytime while in motion.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #16
Senior Member
NOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud of
 
NOLA ItsNotOva's Avatar
Name: Brandon
Joined: Jun 2013, #105503
Location: New Orleans, LA
Gender: Male
Posts: 534
NOLA ItsNotOva's Tacoma Gallery
I used to leave mine on because my transmission would feel like it hesitates to shift or it would sluggishly shift. Having the ECT on, I stopped that but decreased my fuel economy. So now I leave it off and only turn it on if I'm hauling something in the bed or towing a trailer
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #17
Senior Member
ToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt(hew)
Joined: Nov 2011, #67906
Location: "flatland"
Gender: Male
Posts: 331
ToyComa84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BSSG View Post
ECT (Electronically Controlled Transmission) electronically adjusts the rpm at which the transmission shifts. With ECT activated, the automatic transmission will rev to a higher RPM before shifting, and allows quicker acceleration by keeping the engine closer to its power band. Also decreasing fuel economy. It doesn't actually change anything going on in the engine, mess with fuel mapping, ignition timing or any other crazy claim you may have read. Its not a magic "add 50 HP" button, just holds shifts a little longer. I suggest leaving the ECT turned off unless you have a load and are merging on the freeway or something. In my old 4Runner, even if I had the ECT on I had to damn near floor it to see the RPM "hang" and any difference in shifting. The hit you take on mpg's depends on how heavy your foot it....is almost impossible to give a hard # on how much your MPG's will drop. (Order a ScanGauge II or UltraGauge and play with them if you want to figure out your MPG loss. Unless you floor it everywhere you go, there is no point in leaving the ECT power on. Hope this helps.


Also: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ect-power.html

and

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...3-4l-only.html

search is your friend.

I think that really helps for me. Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #18
Member
synergy10 is on a distinguished road
 
synergy10's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2013, #100826
Location: San Diego
Gender: Male
Posts: 88
synergy10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Would ECT help me out when going uphill? When ever I drive to NorCal, my truck always struggles in the grapevine and i always find myself in the slow lane with the big-rigs. Will ECT help me out in this scenario? thanks
Have you tried turning off your overdrive when going uphill? I go up the same "hill" and am able to keep a respectable speed at 65-70 mph.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:25 AM   #19
Senior Member
Zer0 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Dec 2013, #118626
Location: SGV, California
Gender: Male
Posts: 283
Zer0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy10 View Post
Have you tried turning off your overdrive when going uphill? I go up the same "hill" and am able to keep a respectable speed at 65-70 mph.
Ive tried turning overdrive off while going up the grapevine but it seems to rev really high and only gives me just little more power. I usually just keep overdrive on but my foot heavier on the gas pedal. For me to increase more speed I literally have to floor the damn thing. I plan to do a tune-up this weekend maybe my engine is just not running the way it should. How do you drive when you're going up the grapevine? Do you have to floor it too? What engine size are you? Im a 2.7
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:34 AM   #20
Do you even travel bro?
TashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
TashcomerTexas's Avatar
Name: Dereck
Joined: Apr 2014, #127853
Location: Texshus
Gender: Male
Posts: 905
TashcomerTexas's Tacoma Gallery
Well now try turning O/D off and turning on ect that should make it easier
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So what does the ECT PWR button do?? Stout890 Technical Chat 6 07-31-2012 08:10 PM
what does that button ECT do? Shotgun45 New Members 7 10-18-2010 04:32 PM
O/D button an ECT button. Pyro 1st Gen. Tacomas 12 09-29-2010 05:46 PM
curious about ECT button qgoulden 1st Gen. Tacomas 8 06-17-2009 01:48 PM
Ect button Hambone155 1st Gen. Tacomas 7 10-13-2008 09:23 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.