Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ECT Power button.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Hogzilla is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Hogzilla's Tacoma Gallery
ECT Power button.

So what exactly does it do? I know it makes the tranny shift at higher rpms, but does this make any real difference? Also, what kind of hit do you take in your mpg while in "power" mode?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Shift points is all. Some say they get better mileage with it on all the time. Personally I'm glad they got rid of the feature in the 2nd gens because it confuses too many owners and they never bother to look in the manual to see what it does.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
v1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to all
v1ndictiv3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogzilla View Post
So what exactly does it do? I know it makes the tranny shift at higher rpms, but does this make any real difference? Also, what kind of hit do you take in your mpg while in "power" mode?
*Note, I have a 2.7

So today was the first time I've used the ect power mode to see the difference in power output at higher rpm... When I first got my truck I test drove it out on a highway and floored it a bunch of different times from various cruising speeds to see how well it accelerates and it accelerated fairly quickly but obviously lacks the power of a v6 or higher. I only took it to 95mph and was at about 4000 rpms-ish. Was curious about the power mode so I turned it on today, was cruising at about 50mph on the highway when I floored it... Huge difference, to me at least... It accelerated considerably quicker (lot less time to hit 95mph) and the rpm were hanging around in the 5000 rpms... I decided to stop there because I don't like redlining my vehicle if I don't have to and it was at the base of the redline. As for gas consumption, I think that if you use the power mode and drive normally and conservatively you won't notice a difference. In either mode when I floored it I lost a considerable amount of gas, perhaps a bit more with the power... Just my experience.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Matt
11BSSG's Tacoma Gallery
ECT (Electronically Controlled Transmission) electronically adjusts the rpm at which the transmission shifts. With ECT activated, the automatic transmission will rev to a higher RPM before shifting, and allows quicker acceleration by keeping the engine closer to its power band. Also decreasing fuel economy. It doesn't actually change anything going on in the engine, mess with fuel mapping, ignition timing or any other crazy claim you may have read. Its not a magic "add 50 HP" button, just holds shifts a little longer. I suggest leaving the ECT turned off unless you have a load and are merging on the freeway or something. In my old 4Runner, even if I had the ECT on I had to damn near floor it to see the RPM "hang" and any difference in shifting. The hit you take on mpg's depends on how heavy your foot it....is almost impossible to give a hard # on how much your MPG's will drop. (Order a ScanGauge II or UltraGauge and play with them if you want to figure out your MPG loss. Unless you floor it everywhere you go, there is no point in leaving the ECT power on. Hope this helps.

Also: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ect-power.html

and

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...3-4l-only.html

search is your friend.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
I leave mine on unless for some reason i need to tip-toe, such as really bad weather or something
Old 04-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
I like turtles!!!
The Munster will become famous soon enoughThe Munster will become famous soon enough

Air Force: A1C 822BDS
Name: Lance
The Munster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1ndictiv3 View Post
*Note, I have a 2.7

So today was the first time I've used the ect power mode to see the difference in power output at higher rpm... When I first got my truck I test drove it out on a highway and floored it a bunch of different times from various cruising speeds to see how well it accelerates and it accelerated fairly quickly but obviously lacks the power of a v6 or higher. I only took it to 95mph and was at about 4000 rpms-ish. Was curious about the power mode so I turned it on today, was cruising at about 50mph on the highway when I floored it... Huge difference, to me at least... It accelerated considerably quicker (lot less time to hit 95mph) and the rpm were hanging around in the 5000 rpms... I decided to stop there because I don't like redlining my vehicle if I don't have to and it was at the base of the redline. As for gas consumption, I think that if you use the power mode and drive normally and conservatively you won't notice a difference. In either mode when I floored it I lost a considerable amount of gas, perhaps a bit more with the power... Just my experience.
The Rpms could have been higher because the ECM disengaged the torque converter lock up. That would explain why your Rpms where up
Old 04-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
I honestly was wondering the same thing...
Old 05-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #9
fozalgerts is on a distinguished road
Army: Retired
Name: Mike
fozalgerts's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you Matt, your post was very helpful.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
Zer0 is on a distinguished road
Zer0's Tacoma Gallery
Would ECT help me out when going uphill? When ever I drive to NorCal, my truck always struggles in the grapevine and i always find myself in the slow lane with the big-rigs. Will ECT help me out in this scenario? thanks
Old 05-15-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
Do you even travel bro?
TashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dereck
TashcomerTexas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Would ECT help me out when going uphill? When ever I drive to NorCal, my truck always struggles in the grapevine and i always find myself in the slow lane with the big-rigs. Will ECT help me out in this scenario? thanks
Put it in 2 and switch it on.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:43 PM   #13
braaAAAP
shipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shedshipps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
shipps's Tacoma Gallery
Electronically Controlled Turbo, incredible feature really.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:44 PM   #14
Zer0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashcomerTexas View Post
Put it in 2 and switch it on.
I put the gear in 2 and turn ECT on? Im going at freeway speeds (65-70) is it safe to downshift to 2 and turn on ECT? thanks
Old 05-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #15
Do you even travel bro?
TashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I put the gear in 2 and turn ECT on? Im going at freeway speeds (65-70) is it safe to downshift to 2 and turn on ECT? thanks
Yeah no just the ECT. You should never use speed as a guideline when switching gears, base it on the RPMs. And when it comes to automatics switching gears gets more complex; you can shift anytime while in motion.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #16
NOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud of

Name: Brandon
NOLA ItsNotOva's Tacoma Gallery
I used to leave mine on because my transmission would feel like it hesitates to shift or it would sluggishly shift. Having the ECT on, I stopped that but decreased my fuel economy. So now I leave it off and only turn it on if I'm hauling something in the bed or towing a trailer
Old 05-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #17
ToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt(hew)
ToyComa84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BSSG View Post
ECT (Electronically Controlled Transmission) electronically adjusts the rpm at which the transmission shifts. With ECT activated, the automatic transmission will rev to a higher RPM before shifting, and allows quicker acceleration by keeping the engine closer to its power band. Also decreasing fuel economy. It doesn't actually change anything going on in the engine, mess with fuel mapping, ignition timing or any other crazy claim you may have read. Its not a magic "add 50 HP" button, just holds shifts a little longer. I suggest leaving the ECT turned off unless you have a load and are merging on the freeway or something. In my old 4Runner, even if I had the ECT on I had to damn near floor it to see the RPM "hang" and any difference in shifting. The hit you take on mpg's depends on how heavy your foot it....is almost impossible to give a hard # on how much your MPG's will drop. (Order a ScanGauge II or UltraGauge and play with them if you want to figure out your MPG loss. Unless you floor it everywhere you go, there is no point in leaving the ECT power on. Hope this helps.

Also: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ect-power.html

and

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...3-4l-only.html

search is your friend.

I think that really helps for me. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #18
synergy10 is on a distinguished road

synergy10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Have you tried turning off your overdrive when going uphill? I go up the same "hill" and am able to keep a respectable speed at 65-70 mph.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:25 AM   #19
Zer0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy10 View Post
Have you tried turning off your overdrive when going uphill? I go up the same "hill" and am able to keep a respectable speed at 65-70 mph.
Ive tried turning overdrive off while going up the grapevine but it seems to rev really high and only gives me just little more power. I usually just keep overdrive on but my foot heavier on the gas pedal. For me to increase more speed I literally have to floor the damn thing. I plan to do a tune-up this weekend maybe my engine is just not running the way it should. How do you drive when you're going up the grapevine? Do you have to floor it too? What engine size are you? Im a 2.7
Old 05-16-2014, 12:34 AM   #20
Do you even travel bro?

Well now try turning O/D off and turning on ect that should make it easier