Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Correct front sag w/ bumper & winch?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
1x1's Tacoma Gallery
Correct front sag w/ bumper & winch?

My new to me 99 with an ARB bumper and winch has a front sag of about 2 compared to the back. The back has air bag spring helpers and with them set at the minimum air pressure I have the 2 front to back sag. What will be the best way to correct this without spending a ton of money? I was thinking of getting 5100s all around and setting the fronts at 2.5 on the stock coils. The other option I was considering was the 5100s set at zero and 881 or 882 springs to give me the 2 lift. It has the stock TRD suspension with 135k on it, so Im sure the shocks need replacing regardless.

I dont do any serious off-roading, just logging roads and driving across the lakes in the winter. I do tow a boat in the summer and haul loads in the bed so the air bags will come in handy and Id like to leave them in. What do you guys think is the best economical solution?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
1x1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
OME's with the OME shocks is what I would do. I'm SUPER happy with my OME set up and pretty much only recommend putting parts together from the same company or as they were intended (OME with OME in this case-They are built for each other...)

Why the bumper and winch if you don't offroad??

That is what it came with when I bought it. We don't exactly have many places nearby that I would consider truely offroad, although the winch will get used to drag logs close to the trail before they are turned into firewood. I had a lifted/moded Jeep (had OME shocks) when I lived in Nevada, ben der done dat.

I'd love to do a complete OME lift but thats $1,100 compared to $300 for the billys and I really wouldn't see a benifit for what I need to accomplish. The concern is with the stock springs with 135k on them and if they are up to the task compressed to 2.5" with the billys.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x1 View Post
That is what it came with when I bought it. We don't exactly have many places nearby that I would consider truely offroad, although the winch will get used to drag logs close to the trail before they are turned into firewood. I had a lifted/moded Jeep (had OME shocks) when I lived in Nevada, ben der done dat.

I'd love to do a complete OME lift but thats $1,100 compared to $300 for the billys and I really wouldn't see a benifit for what I need to accomplish. The concern is with the stock springs with 135k on them and if they are up to the task compressed to 2.5" with the billys.
So your looking to replace all your shocks correct?

$1,100 is for the complete OME lift kit (4 shocks, leaf pack, shackles, etc.) . If your just worried about your shocks I would get the OME shocks & coils up front ( $271 + $157 ) and then Billy's in the back ( $149 ).

if you go with Billy's all around plus the OME coil it'll be fine, and work great! Just expect to replace the front shocks sooner than the rear ones.

Good Luck either way you go you'll be much happier ride! I got the pricing from Wheelers website.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJack09 View Post
So your looking to replace all your shocks correct?

$1,100 is for the complete OME lift kit (4 shocks, leaf pack, shackles, etc.) . If your just worried about your shocks I would get the OME shocks & coils up front ( $271 + $157 ) and then Billy's in the back ( $149 ).

if you go with Billy's all around plus the OME coil it'll be fine, and work great! Just expect to replace the front shocks sooner than the rear ones.

Good Luck either way you go you'll be much happier ride! I got the pricing from Wheelers website.
^This. You don't need to rebuild the entire truck suspension. Again- I'm all about matching parts built to go together...but you can get the 5100s and that is all you need. You can only improve from there.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
FlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wil
FlyingWil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
OME's with the OME shocks is what I would do. I'm SUPER happy with my OME set up and pretty much only recommend putting parts together from the same company or as they were intended (OME with OME in this case-They are built for each other...)
X2, and then you would keep the warranty on the OME Coils... All OME springs must be matched with OME shocks/struts to maintain OME/ARB's warranty.

Honestly, the new Nitrocharger Sports are well worth the extra coin.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
1x1's Tacoma Gallery
So I measured from the center of the wheels to the rubber fender lip with the truck sitting in the garage. Strange that the front is sagging towards the passenger side.
FR- 20"
FL- 20-1/4"
RR- 22-1/2"
RL- 22-1/2"

I haven't been able to find out what the stock measurements should be or how much I need to raise the front. What OME coils do you think would get the job done?

I plan on running some General Grabber 265/75R16 when I'm ready for new tires in the spring.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
FlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wil
FlyingWil's Tacoma Gallery
It depends on if you have a winch in the ARB or not. If you have a winch I think you would be best off with the 2881 Coils (Rated for 110-220lbs above stock) matched up with the Nitro Sport Struts 90004. If you don't have a winch the 2880's would work, as you would be border line on the top of the weight bracket (Rated for 0-110lbs above stock) The 882's, or now the 2882's are just too stiff for the Tacoma's, even so ARB took them off the application guide for the Tacoma.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
1x1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingWil View Post
It depends on if you have a winch in the ARB or not. If you have a winch I think you would be best off with the 2881 Coils (Rated for 110-220lbs above stock) matched up with the Nitro Sport Struts 90004. If you don't have a winch the 2880's would work, as you would be border line on the top of the weight bracket (Rated for 0-110lbs above stock) The 882's, or now the 2882's are just too stiff for the Tacoma's, even so ARB took them off the application guide for the Tacoma.
I have a winch. Would it be worth while to also get OMEs for the rear?