1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Correct front sag w/ bumper & winch?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 1x1, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Jan 6, 2011 at 7:26 AM
    1x1

1x1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB TRD OR
    RIP- ‘99 AC TRD, ‘12 DCLB TRD Sport
    My new to me ’99 with an ARB bumper and winch has a front sag of about 2” compared to the back. The back has air bag spring helpers and with them set at the minimum air pressure I have the 2” front to back sag. What will be the best way to correct this without spending a ton of money? I was thinking of getting 5100s all around and setting the fronts at 2.5” on the stock coils. The other option I was considering was the 5100s set at zero and 881 or 882 springs to give me the 2” lift. It has the stock TRD suspension with 135k on it, so I’m sure the shocks need replacing regardless.

I don’t do any serious off-roading, just logging roads and driving across the lakes in the winter. I do tow a boat in the summer and haul loads in the bed so the air bags will come in handy and I’d like to leave them in. What do you guys think is the best economical solution?

2. Jan 6, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    OME's with the OME shocks is what I would do. I'm SUPER happy with my OME set up and pretty much only recommend putting parts together from the same company or as they were intended (OME with OME in this case-They are built for each other...)

Why the bumper and winch if you don't offroad??

3. Jan 6, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    1x1

Member:
    NW Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB TRD OR

That is what it came with when I bought it. We don't exactly have many places nearby that I would consider truely offroad, although the winch will get used to drag logs close to the trail before they are turned into firewood. I had a lifted/moded Jeep (had OME shocks) when I lived in Nevada, ben der done dat.

I'd love to do a complete OME lift but thats $1,100 compared to $300 for the billys and I really wouldn't see a benifit for what I need to accomplish. The concern is with the stock springs with 135k on them and if they are up to the task compressed to 2.5" with the billys.

4. Jan 6, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck
    So your looking to replace all your shocks correct?

$1,100 is for the complete OME lift kit (4 shocks, leaf pack, shackles, etc.) . If your just worried about your shocks I would get the OME shocks & coils up front ( $271 + $157 ) and then Billy's in the back ( $149 ).

if you go with Billy's all around plus the OME coil it'll be fine, and work great! Just expect to replace the front shocks sooner than the rear ones.

Good Luck either way you go you'll be much happier ride! I got the pricing from Wheelers website.

5. Jan 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    ^This. You don't need to rebuild the entire truck suspension. Again- I'm all about matching parts built to go together...but you can get the 5100s and that is all you need. You can only improve from there.

6. Jan 6, 2011 at 5:27 PM
    FlyingWil

FlyingWil Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Wil
    Sonoran Desert
    Vehicle:
    01 DC Expedition Ready
    Shrockworks Front Bumper, LightForce 240's, PIAA 510's,T-Max 9000 competition winch with Outback (longer drum) and modified brake wireless controller and Masterpull line with Viking safety thimble, Rugged Ridge Hawse, Daystar Winch isolator, SAW Racerunner 2.5 coilovers, Safari Snorkel, IBS dual battery system with RBM, Scangauge II, Total Vision self spotting kit and monitor with aux output and remote, Low Tek Gauge pod with Cyberdyne gauges for fridge and battery, Yeasu FT-7800 head unit mounted in ceiling linner and speaker Larson Hood mount, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio in the ash tray location,'lil Wil Mag mount antenna, Odessey 1200 MJT & Die Hard Plat. dual batteries, Can-Back with extra mounts, Blue Sea 12 st Fuse Box, 100 Amp 100 Amp Relay, Extremeaire & 5 Gal air tank w/ 145 psi switch, Custom bed drawer system, Engel Mt-45 with TwoZone, protective covers, and Engel Slide Eezi-Awn 1600 RTT w/ Ikea LED light mod, and sheet set, CBI offroad Expedition rear bumper, jerry can tir
    X2, and then you would keep the warranty on the OME Coils... All OME springs must be matched with OME shocks/struts to maintain OME/ARB's warranty.

Honestly, the new Nitrocharger Sports are well worth the extra coin.

7. Jan 6, 2011 at 6:05 PM
    1x1

Member:
    NW Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB TRD OR
    So I measured from the center of the wheels to the rubber fender lip with the truck sitting in the garage. Strange that the front is sagging towards the passenger side.
    FR- 20"
    FL- 20-1/4"
    RR- 22-1/2"
    RL- 22-1/2"

I haven't been able to find out what the stock measurements should be or how much I need to raise the front. What OME coils do you think would get the job done?

I plan on running some General Grabber 265/75R16 when I'm ready for new tires in the spring.

8. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    FlyingWil

Member:
    First Name:
    Wil
    Sonoran Desert
    Vehicle:
    01 DC Expedition Ready
    Shrockworks Front Bumper, LightForce 240's, PIAA 510's,T-Max 9000 competition winch with Outback (longer drum) and modified brake wireless controller and Masterpull line with Viking safety thimble, Rugged Ridge Hawse, Daystar Winch isolator, SAW Racerunner 2.5 coilovers, Safari Snorkel, IBS dual battery system with RBM, Scangauge II, Total Vision self spotting kit and monitor with aux output and remote, Low Tek Gauge pod with Cyberdyne gauges for fridge and battery, Yeasu FT-7800 head unit mounted in ceiling linner and speaker Larson Hood mount, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio in the ash tray location,'lil Wil Mag mount antenna, Odessey 1200 MJT & Die Hard Plat. dual batteries, Can-Back with extra mounts, Blue Sea 12 st Fuse Box, 100 Amp 100 Amp Relay, Extremeaire & 5 Gal air tank w/ 145 psi switch, Custom bed drawer system, Engel Mt-45 with TwoZone, protective covers, and Engel Slide Eezi-Awn 1600 RTT w/ Ikea LED light mod, and sheet set, CBI offroad Expedition rear bumper, jerry can tir
    It depends on if you have a winch in the ARB or not. If you have a winch I think you would be best off with the 2881 Coils (Rated for 110-220lbs above stock) matched up with the Nitro Sport Struts 90004. If you don't have a winch the 2880's would work, as you would be border line on the top of the weight bracket (Rated for 0-110lbs above stock) The 882's, or now the 2882's are just too stiff for the Tacoma's, even so ARB took them off the application guide for the Tacoma.

9. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    1x1

Member:
    NW Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB TRD OR
    I have a winch. Would it be worth while to also get OMEs for the rear?

10. Jan 7, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    FlyingWil

Member:
    First Name:
    Wil
    Sonoran Desert
    Vehicle:
    01 DC Expedition Ready
    It depends... what do you have on the rear right now?

Products Discussed in

To Top