Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New guy about to start a build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
ttran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
ttran's Tacoma Gallery
New guy about to start a build

Hey, I've been lurking around this forum for quite awhile and I'm going to pick up my truck tomorrow. I want to start building it up soon but would like some input. I'm planning on going with a 3 inch suspension lift at least, along with the biggest tire I can fit without cutting anything. I also would like to get a new set of wheels. I'm planning on getting it line x'ed asap as the previous owner lost the plastic cover for the bed. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! Do you know what lift your going with?

Check out the Southeast region section
Old 01-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Welcome to TW!! Im just above charlotte in Harrisburg!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Wheels are to your taste... I put FJ TRD 16" wheels on mine and put an OME 3" lift on the front and an AAL on the rear over the TSB springs. My recommendation is to look around at different builds and take what you like best from each. Good luck and welcome.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:10 AM   #6
ttran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant future

ttran's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys! This will be my DD and I won't be doing too much offroading. I was thinking of going with bilstein 5100's for the front with ome coils ( i don't know which one to choose) and what would be an acceptable set up for the rear? Another bilstein with an aal? I've done some searching but i'm still clueless. For a 3 inch lift, I would also need new uca's and a longer brake line right. Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate all the help I can get!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #7
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
No break line unless you get relay long shocks. If you tow a lot I would get a aal in the back but if you do not blocks or shackles will do. You may need ucas but you may not need them, I did not but i still got them. If you go with blocks for the rear I would lift the front drive it like 1 mile so the front can settle, then measure and see what lift you need in the back.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
This is what my truck looks like. It has camburg UCAs(from wheelers), OME 881 coils(toytec), and 1" thick spacer(from wheelers). My tires are 305/70/16s(like 33/12.5/15s), too big for my lift. I have a body lift to fix it.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #9

ttran's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Rig! I was looking at JohnnyGato's build and I love the wheels he has the pro comp 7005's. I would like to pair those wheels up with some 285's or 33's depending on which would require less cutting. I wouldn't be doing much towing at all, just the occasional off road adventure. I did some searching around and anything above 3 would require me to upgrade a bunch of other parts correct?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
Yes you have to get ucas if you go to 3.5" lift then past that you will have to buy a drop bracket type lift(procomp or fab tec 4 and 6" lifts).
Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #11

ttran's Tacoma Gallery
Hey goomba, what kind of gas mileage are you getting?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #12
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
I think i am getting like 16 mpg with these tires, but be for I got like 19mpg. I will try to get back with you on that one.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #13

ttran's Tacoma Gallery
Would I need any spacers if I plan to run these with 33s?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Xt...n=PXA7005-7883
Old 01-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, you would need spacers. The tire will be hitting your uca if you put even 32s on there. If you want the tire to just fit with 33s you will need at least a 9" wide Rim with 4.5" bs. I would go to tirekingdom.com and look at moto metal 951s. They look like this:

Alot of ppl run these
Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #15

ttran's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking at those also, dang I can't make up my mind. Either get a nice 3 inch lift or save up and go for a 6 inch. Or settle with something right in between
Old 01-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #16
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
You could also do a 3" suspension and 2" body(total of 5" lift) which I will be doing. For the body lift you will have to extend your gas fill line and your air conditioning low pressure line. To extend the the ac low pressure line you will have to take it to a mechanic to get the freon professionally drained so you do not ruin your ac unit.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #17

ttran's Tacoma Gallery
hmm, don't body lifts make the truck look a bit weird? with that gap being there and all
Old 01-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #18
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
Well what do you think of this truck?

It has a 2" suspension and 3" body lift.
Found Here:http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/toyo...stin_shank.htm
Old 01-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #19

ttran's Tacoma Gallery
honestly it looks pretty good imo, body lifts are pretty cheap right? how difficult is the installation though
Old 01-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #20
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
Yes my 2" body lift was like $170 including tax and shipping. Installation is not too bad, I only have experience in a 4Runner 2" body lift though. I have had my 2" body lift for a wile just have not wanted to drain freon out of my ac system(do it professionally or else you will destroy your ac compressor). When you do the body lift you have to extend radiator drop brackets, bumpers(the one I got has the front bumper bracket, I will have to fab up a rear bumper bracket to lift up my rear bumper), steering shaft, low pressure ac line, and gas fill line.

Products Discussed in this Thread