Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ECT POWER MPG increase.. why?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
ECT POWER MPG increase.. why?

So any official explanation why the ECT POWER mode for AUTO V6 Tacomas increase the MPG significantly? (2-3 MPG)

My driving habit is to stay at 65-70mph on the highway and almost always apply the gas gingerly when accelerating on local roads.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
The ECT power button just changes the shifting points of your trany. Basically when it is on it will downshift sooner and will not shift into a new gear as quick when taking off. When it is off it will shift into a higher gear faster to save on gas.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
ya know what... i thought i was crazy...

now i dont feel so alone. when i used my ECT power button a few weeks ago i actually noticed BETTER mpg... i was shocked
Old 01-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by goomba View Post
The ECT power button just changes the shifting points of your trany. Basically when it is on it will downshift sooner and will not shift into a new gear as quick when taking off. When it is off it will shift into a higher gear faster to save on gas.
Theoretically you'd think the NORM mode saves gas.. that's what I thought too.. but it is the exact opposite.

There has to be an explanation.

I've calculated my MPG both by manual means and in real time with my ScanGauge II

In fact, once I drove down the highway after getting gas and having the ECT button switched back to NORM accidentally.. I thought I had just gotten bad gas because the MPG in ScanGauge was 2-3 MPG less than what I'm used to. Switched back to ECT PWR and the MPG returned back to normal after a while.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Like goomba said though-you get better mileage with the ETC off..not on. When it is off the tranny upshifts sooner each gear to reach high gear asap for economy. ETC on holds each gear out to a higher RPM before upshift for power AND tranny will downshift much more easily under even moderate throttle for power in ETC mode.
Bottom line is your mileage should be worse with ETC on.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Like goomba said though-you get better mileage with the ETC off..not on. When it is off the tranny upshifts sooner each gear to reach high gear asap for economy. ETC on holds each gear out to a higher RPM before upshift for power AND tranny will downshift much more easily under even moderate throttle for power in ETC mode.
Bottom line is your mileage should be worse with ETC on.
SOunds like you've never tested this theory out. Give it a try, you might be surprised.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I run ETC on fulltime so maybe you might be right but what we told you is what its intended job is-so if you are getting better mileage the other way it's odd but not impossible.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
It will benefit you if you drive on hills a lot.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
still looking for a reasonable explanation for the increase in mileage. Since the commonly known "shift point change" explanation is counter intuitive to the increase in mileage.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

idk bout yall but i feel like i should drive with my ECT button on a little more often and see what happens.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomarotto View Post
idk bout yall but i feel like i should drive with my ECT button on a little more often and see what happens.
You should be able to tell the difference after less than a 1/4 tank..
Old 01-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #12

ill let you know but its done me good b4
Old 01-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #13
Flash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to behold
Army: CPT MI 35D
Flash1034's Tacoma Gallery
The owners manual states the best gas mileage will be obtained with ECT off. FYI

Flash
Old 01-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
surfermatt is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
surfermatt's Tacoma Gallery
Could possibily be your driving habits, with "ECT power" on then the shifts will be later and you will feel a little more "power" since you will be in a lower gear for a split second longer, instead of making up for the lack of power with your foot but idk, im no expert
Old 01-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #15
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfermatt View Post
Could possibily be your driving habits, with "ECT power" on then the shifts will be later and you will feel a little more "power" since you will be in a lower gear for a split second longer, instead of making up for the lack of power with your foot but idk, im no expert
Well I've also observed the drop in MPG while cruising at a steady speed on the highway. So I wouldn't think the different shift points play much role in that driving scenario.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #16
surfermatt is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
surfermatt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywen View Post
Well I've also observed the drop in MPG while cruising at a steady speed on the highway. So I wouldn't think the different shift points play much role in that driving scenario.
then there should be no difference at all imo cause nothing should change but im always looking for mpg improvment so ill stay posted
Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfermatt View Post
That's very possible.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #18
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomarotto View Post
I'll have to try it one of these days
Old 01-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #19
MidnightSun is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
MidnightSun's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if it holds true for a 4 banger too

Might have to give it a try on next tank.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #20
BackCountry is on a distinguished road

BackCountry's Tacoma Gallery
Curious how folks have been making out in ECT MPG stats... I noticed this thread the other day and thought I'd flip mine on and see what's happening. I prefer the shift points with the button on, I notice that while driving at city speeds it's sitting at much lower rpm's. Typically at 45km for example I'd be at about 2100rpm, but with the switch on I'm now running close to 1200. From this point of view I can see how it would yield in better MPG.

It almost seems like the toggle is reversed or something... I'd expect to be sitting in lower gears at higher rpms, not the opposite. As mentioned by others though, hill climbing makes a difference.