Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Corroded battery terminals

Old 01-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
tgtech570 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 3rd AGS/ 90th AMU
tgtech570's Tacoma Gallery
Corroded battery terminals

Ok so I decided to eliminate the corrosion on the posative battery terminal leads. I would like to cut the old lugs off and crimp new lugs on rather than just try and clean the corrosion off. Trouble is I'm not sure what guage I'm dealing with? On my 02 Tacoma there are two posative wires. One looks to be 2 or 4 guage and the other that goes to the fuse box is maybe 12 guage? Does anyone know for sure? The local Toyota dealer was no help : (
Old 01-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
My progeny will be awesome!
ChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
ChewbacaTW's Tacoma Gallery
The smaller wire powers the outer fuse box i believe. As for the corrosion, just give the terminal and the cable a good scrubbing and keep an eye on it and there shouldn't be much of a problem anymore.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewbacaTW View Post
The smaller wire powers the outer fuse box i believe. As for the corrosion, just give the terminal and the cable a good scrubbing and keep an eye on it and there shouldn't be much of a problem anymore.
This ^^^

Give it a good scrubbing with a wire brush and some sandpaper. Then spray them with some dielectric grease or white lithium grease to keep the corrosion from coming back.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
N.GA Taco x3 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
N.GA Taco x3's Tacoma Gallery
the same thing happened to my '02. I ended up getting a new positive battery cable end terminal and red boot, about $30. The factory end was the only one i could find that had the bolt on top for the factory wires to connect to. The positive post terminal/connector was so corroded, i could not get it tight enough to make a good connection. Didn't want my 16 yr old soon or wife stranded, so i sucked it up and ordered one from an online Toyo parts dealer, used some dielectric grease around the positive cable , hooked it up and no more problem.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
If your cable is corroded, replace it with the dealer cable. If not, clean posts and cable ends with baking soda and soapy water, flush with clean water, dry and spray battery terminal protector on posts and cable ends. What acid leaks out of the battery won't be able to get in the connection with the spray there. Grease doesn't work as well, and is harder to remove.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
surfermatt is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
surfermatt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewbacaTW View Post
^^x2
pour half a bucket of water, then some baking soda or soda ash to neutralize the acid, then scrub then the other half bucket
Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
tgtech570 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 3rd AGS/ 90th AMU
tgtech570's Tacoma Gallery
Well I would still prefer just to replace it. Does anybody know how to determine what guage the 2 wires are? All of the electrical diagrams I've seen are simple flow charts. Thanks
Old 01-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried just replacing the positive terminal? I had the same problem and ordered a factory Toyota and there really is no need for a new cable most of the time.