Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fabtech 6in lift

Old 01-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
JSeagraves has a spectacular aura aboutJSeagraves has a spectacular aura aboutJSeagraves has a spectacular aura about
Air Force: 552d squadron
Name: Jesse
JSeagraves's Tacoma Gallery
Fabtech 6in lift

I'm fixing to put a 6in fabtec lift on my 03 reg cab taco!!! Does anybody have any info ( good or bad) on them???
Old 11-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
03tacomaSW is on a distinguished road

Name: Darryl
03tacomaSW's Tacoma Gallery
I put a 6in Fabtech on my 03 a few months ago so far I don't have anything bad to say about the lift itself. The installation was a huge headache but it was worth the trouble. If you want to go all suspension and over 6 in its a good option IMO and its a good looking lift.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...1&d=1322233470
Old 11-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
03tacomaSW is on a distinguished road

Name: Darryl
03tacomaSW's Tacoma Gallery
Yea you have to drop the diff/cut cross member from frame with "lift kits" which is why a lot of people don't like them because you aren't truly getting extra clearance other than oversized tires. I wanted to go with a 3" toytec setup and 3" body (less expensive setup!) but decided against that to avoid the issue with CV boots rubbing due to angle of shaft. I drive a lot on beaches/sand (same issue with mud) which speeds up the process of blowing the boot dramatically if the shaft is angled causing rubbing. The lift kit keeps everything lined up nice. I spent about two months trying to decide what to do every setup has its pros and cons and its hard to decided what's best for your needs.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
6" lift if you have a tiny you know what (brain)? idk. 3" lift or GTFO.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
6" lift = mostly for looks
Old 11-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
agreed^ most people dont life the droop down brackets because like said before, obnly allows for bigger tires. its more of a MC thing. plus... if u wheel the thing and hit that bracket with a rock, i dont see it holding up as well s the frame of a 3 inch lift.... 3 " or sas lol
Old 11-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
4runnin coma is on a distinguished road
Name: Ephram
4runnin coma's Tacoma Gallery
I wheeled with a guy that had the 6in. fabtech bracket on his 3rd gen 4runner, with a 3" body lift and 37's. He beat the crap out of that thing and it help up to all the abuse he threw at it, and its still in great shape, still in re-sellable condition after 5+ years off rock crawling with it, its for sale also, he went with a SAS with a dana 44.

So not trying to start a war or nothing, but from what ive seen bracket lifts aren't as weak as alot of people say they are, maybe not as bulletproof as a SAS but alot cheaper.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
pikuptruk is on a distinguished road
pikuptruk's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 6" fabtech lift. It works great, never had any problems. No it's not an SAS set up, but I do have more clearance than my friends with stock or 3" kits. I am able to run larger tires, which allow me to go further than my buddys do. oh, and it looks WAY better than the 3" kit. If someone tells you it's not worth it, and you want it because your weenie is small, it's only because they are light in the wallet and can't afford the bigger lift. I am however going to be getting rid of mine and upgrading to an SAS kit in a year or so. I miss the articulation factor
Old 11-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikuptruk View Post
I love my 6" fabtech lift. It works great, never had any problems. No it's not an SAS set up, but I do have more clearance than my friends with stock or 3" kits. I am able to run larger tires, which allow me to go further than my buddys do. oh, and it looks WAY better than the 3" kit. If someone tells you it's not worth it, and you want it because your weenie is small, it's only because they are light in the wallet and can't afford the bigger lift. I am however going to be getting rid of mine and upgrading to an SAS kit in a year or so. I miss the articulation factor
I'm not understanding how you could have more clearance from ground to front crossmember than someone with a 3" lift.

The 3" lifts pivot the lcas down, thus increasing the ground to crossmember clearance by 3". The drop bracket lifts do not. They work by actually moving the cross member down.

So in order to have more ground clearance than someone with a 3" lift running 33s, you would need to have gotten all of your ground clearance using the tires, meaning you would have to be running 39's.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #11
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I love my 6" fabtech lift. It works great, never had any problems. No it's not an SAS set up, but I do have more clearance than my friends with stock or 3" kits.
Measure your ground to drop bracket height. Please.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #12
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnin coma View Post
I wheeled with a guy that had the 6in. fabtech bracket on his 3rd gen 4runner, with a 3" body lift and 37's. He beat the crap out of that thing and it help up to all the abuse he threw at it, and its still in great shape, still in re-sellable condition after 5+ years off rock crawling with it, its for sale also, he went with a SAS with a dana 44.

So not trying to start a war or nothing, but from what ive seen bracket lifts aren't as weak as alot of people say they are, maybe not as bulletproof as a SAS but alot cheaper.
Well everyones definition of "abusing" is different. Peoples expectations of a DB lift are so high and people don't understand that it's not ment for wheeling at all. All you are doing is raising your COG making you more tippy. Can't compare the SAS to a DB lift, Apples and oranges.

Quote:
You love your 6" lift, yet you want to get rid of it . Also you can't compare a DB lift to a SAS, apples and oranges like I said above. Stock suspension can run 35" tires. And the comment I made about the "weenie" had nothing to do with not affording it. DB lifts are useless and only perform at the grocery store.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I'm not understanding how you could have more clearance from ground to front crossmember than someone with a 3" lift.

The 3" lifts pivot the lcas down, thus increasing the ground to crossmember clearance by 3". The drop bracket lifts do not. They work by actually moving the cross member down.

So in order to have more ground clearance than someone with a 3" lift running 33s, you would need to have gotten all of your ground clearance using the tires, meaning you would have to be running 39's.
da truth

DB lifts are great if you are a mall crawler. And want the "look." Like said above, you are just raising your center of gravity and making your truck even more prone to a rollover, especially on the trails. And you gain no clearance.

Anything more than 3'' on our trucks is unnecessary for average trail stuff, and anything more looks like crap IMO, unless you are SAS'ed.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #15
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

your profile says you have 33'' tires, so its impossible for you to have more clearance than a 3'' lift on 33's.

And if I had the money for a DB lift, I still wouldn't buy one. They are impractical and overpriced. Would much rather have a 3'' kit with racing coilovers and UCA's than a DB lift.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #16
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I love my 6" fabtech lift. It works great, never had any problems. No it's not an SAS set up,

but I do have more clearance than my friends with stock or 3" kits.

False

I am able to run larger tires, which allow me to go further than my buddys do.

oh, and it looks WAY better than the 3" kit.

False

If someone tells you it's not worth it, and you want it because your weenie is small, it's only because they are light in the wallet and can't afford the bigger lift.

False

I am however going to be getting rid of mine and upgrading to an SAS kit in a year or so.

I miss the articulation factor

No shit....

Old 11-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Well everyones definition of "abusing" is different. Peoples expectations of a DB lift are so high and people don't understand that it's not ment for wheeling at all. All you are doing is raising your COG making you more tippy. Can't compare the SAS to a DB lift, Apples and oranges.

You love your 6" lift, yet you want to get rid of it . Also you can't compare a DB lift to a SAS, apples and oranges like I said above. Stock suspension can run 35" tires. And the comment I made about the "weenie" had nothing to do with not affording it. DB lifts are useless and only perform at the grocery store.
I love my truck, even if it's a mall crawler at the moment. I've owned it for less than 2 months and havnt had a chance to begin my build let alone finish it. Give me a break. I'm just "conversating" and giving defense to the fab tech 6" lift that has served me great the last couple months. Thanks for trash talking my truck, I can only hope to have one as bad ass as yours one day. I can also only hope my ego doesn't grow to the size of yours and that I don't trash other people's trucks when I'm done building mine.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:16 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03tacomaSW View Post
I put a 6in Fabtech on my 03 a few months ago so far I don't have anything bad to say about the lift itself. The installation was a huge headache but it was worth the trouble. If you want to go all suspension and over 6 in its a good option IMO and its a good looking lift.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...1&d=1322233470
Looks good!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:44 AM   #20
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Give me a break. I'm just "conversating" and giving defense to the fab tech 6" lift that has served me great the last couple months.
No, you're throwing around false information such as "I have more clearance than someone with a 3" lift"