Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Air Tank Rear Bumper

Old 01-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
mackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nice

Marines: Sgt UH/AH1 Mech HMLA-167
Name: william
mackattack07's Tacoma Gallery
Air Tank Rear Bumper

A friend of mine has an isuzu pup with a custom built back bumper. The rear bumper is a solid steel pipe with welded caps at each end. he welded a bung with a threaded air fitting. he mounted and wired a small air compressor scored from one of my mini truckin buddies, with a regualator. i was just wondering if anyone else had done this and if it was legal.im seriously considering doing it.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Cmatt1605 is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
Cmatt1605's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like a cool idea, but just seems kind of dangerious...what happens when you get rear-ended with a take holding 90psi++???? but overall it sounds like a pretty cool idea! got any pics of it??
Old 01-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmatt1605 View Post
what happens when you get rear-ended with a take holding 90psi++????
This would be a HUGE concern for me
Old 01-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
mackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nice

i dont have any pics of his but there are tons online but no one has said anything about the dangerousnes or if its legal.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #5

http://workgoats.com/images/img_0913.jpg
here is a front bumper tank his is rear but still i think it would be great to have esspecially his set up with regualator pump and all i just dont know
Old 01-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #7

maybe if it were covered by a steel outer bumer style cover like on the inside of a normal bumper
Old 01-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
It's just compressed air, I wouldn't be concerned about it exploding upon impact.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

or you could mount an air tank in the bed where its safe... just saying
Old 01-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
Nikwanchoo is on a distinguished road
Nikwanchoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackattack07 View Post
http://workgoats.com/images/img_0913.jpg
here is a front bumper tank his is rear but still i think it would be great to have esspecially his set up with regualator pump and all i just dont know

Lol, looks like a new step in reactive bumper technology. If someone hits you, your bumper blows them up. Kind of like reactive tank armor.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #11

i dont think its gonna explode i think it would be a giant ruck of compressed air but then again mythbusters did the whole water heater explosion. i dont know how safe or unsafe it is i just like the idea. but propane truck still ride around and thats more dangerous than air.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
bishes love my haircut

Dude, if there's any question to legality and safety of it, don't take the chance of harming others.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #13

yeah im not going to do it i mean my truck is 2wd i dont need it i just know his is on the road everyday.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen the back half of a frame made into an air tank, but I wouldn't make a bumper into one.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmatt1605 View Post
sounds like a cool idea, but just seems kind of dangerious...what happens when you get rear-ended with a take holding 90psi++???? but overall it sounds like a pretty cool idea! got any pics of it??
It's part of the bumper design, it will push the car that hits him off before frame damage occurs.

Just kidding, in reality 90 psi isn't much. Now if it were a power tank or a dive tank at 2500 psi then I'd be concerned.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #16
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
To me that sounds like an awesome idea.
I wouldn't worry about it. If there is any puncture the air will just bleed out. I know most of us have shot an air compressor at someone most of those run at 120-150 psi. It will probably just make the accident sound worse than it really is. Plus in case of emergency you have an extra boost on the back of the truck. Just hit the button and your 90psi should get you to warp speed.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #17
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Generally, one would not drive around on the street with the bumper full of compressed air. You would run the compressor at the time of need or at the beginning of off roading to fill the "tank". At least that is the way that I have seen some of the Jeep guys do it, one of the local Jeepers did the same thing with his roll cage.