Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wont shift out of 2nd when cold

Old 01-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Wont shift out of 2nd when cold

My transmission wont shift out of second when the engine/transmission hasnt warmed up. It wont shift until exactly 35mph (even if I take my foot of the gas). Once my engine/transmission has had time to warm up, the transmission starts to shift normally. This is the same with ECT Power and ECT Normal.

Ive also noticed that when I press down on the accelerator, power is not diverted to the wheels immediately.

My guess is low transmission fluid but I had the dealer check it out not to long ago when I took it in for its 90K maintenance.

I dont want to take it to the dealer again just yet and was hoping someone could shed some light.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
My transmission wont shift out of second when the engine/transmission hasnt warmed up. It wont shift until exactly 35mph (even if I take my foot of the gas). Once my engine/transmission has had time to warm up, the transmission starts to shift normally. This is the same with ECT Power and ECT Normal.

Ive also noticed that when I press down on the accelerator, power is not diverted to the wheels immediately.

My guess is low transmission fluid but I had the dealer check it out not to long ago when I took it in for its 90K maintenance.

I dont want to take it to the dealer again just yet and was hoping someone could shed some light.
Mine is a little bit that way, but yours seems more severe. Mine doesn't shift correctly until the tranny fluid temp is about 90*F (ScanGauge II), it stays in 3rd. I don't think its a low fluid level that causes it.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is slow to shift out of 3rd also, I just take it easy and on my daily route I can just about pin point when its cold out when its going to shift,It usually takes about a mile before it shifts.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is the same, something electrical... It doesn't shift til it's warm or 2600 rpms.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:37 AM   #5
Pay it Forward
Graham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant future

Graham's Tacoma Gallery
This is why I love my manual transmission. I shift when I want and don't rely on a computer.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
ERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
ERIC's Tacoma Gallery
This is all 100% normal for our trucks and every other car. The computer tells the trans to hold the gears longer when cold in order for the trans and engine temps to rise more rapidly. Since lower temps mean more wear on parts, the engine wants to warm up as fast as possible.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC View Post
This is all 100% normal for our trucks and every other car. The computer tells the trans to hold the gears longer when cold in order for the trans and engine temps to rise more rapidly. Since lower temps mean more wear on parts, the engine wants to warm up as fast as possible.
This is the correct answer^^
another good reason I give mine a 4 minute idle warmup. IMO it wastes more fuel cold-running in second than setting there idling for a few
Old 01-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
Joe's Auto Detail
tacomacntry is on a distinguished road

tacomacntry's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomacntry
^^agreed, same goes for my truck..when cold shifts to second but will stay in second until the truck has reached operating temperature and resumes normal driving. Programmed to do just that
Old 01-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, thanks for the replies!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
N.GA Taco x3 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
N.GA Taco x3's Tacoma Gallery
My 2002 2wd V6 AT does the same thing, kind of annoying but i just take it easy till it shifts up, maybe 2 or 3 min and above 30 mph, something like that.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #11
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Awesome, thanks for the replies!
Nice to know your truck is just doin its thing-no?
Old 01-18-2011, 12:09 AM   #13
BigJimHouse is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
BigJimHouse's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does the same; heard that letting them warm up in neutral (E brake on of course) is a quicker way to warm up the trans than when in Park, maybe just a rumor.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:43 AM   #14
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
Very GOOD question St Andrew !! I also Wondered the same thing, I have a 99 tacoma with the V 6 and the auto tranny and mine does the very same thing. Good to know Iam not alone.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
tacotopher is on a distinguished road

tacotopher's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does the exact same thing. How would the transmission fluid warm up if the truck is idling in neutral or park? I don't really think it would...
Old 01-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #16
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotopher View Post
Mine does the exact same thing. How would the transmission fluid warm up if the truck is idling in neutral or park? I don't really think it would...
My scangauge shows that the tranny temps do actually go up while idling in park. Though the rate of increase is very slow. From a startup temp of 50*F it took over 4 minutes of idling to get the temp to 75*F.

For grins, a cold startup, idling for 60 seconds, temp up yo 58*F, put it in gear and drive off. Within a half mile (~45 seconds) the temps is at 90*F and climbing quickly. Shifts normally at +90*F.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #17
athit87 is on a distinguished road
athit87's Tacoma Gallery
whoa I only thought it was my truck that does this. I've even started a thread on this til 707Bro lead me to this link. Thanx! Now, i feel much better..I was trying to find a fix for this for about 2 years now...so, one question...*sorry for the dumbness*..but do you guys think its safer to wait that 4 mins, or just go ahead and wait 1/2 of that?
Old 01-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by athit87 View Post
whoa I only thought it was my truck that does this. I've even started a thread on this til 707Bro lead me to this link. Thanx! Now, i feel much better..I was trying to find a fix for this for about 2 years now...so, one question...*sorry for the dumbness*..but do you guys think its safer to wait that 4 mins, or just go ahead and wait 1/2 of that?
I say you can ease out after a couple minutes if you hate the wait-BUT keep your speeds to like 25MPH till she wants to upshift.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #19
Super Heros Inc is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Preston
Super Heros Inc's Tacoma Gallery
i'm actually having an issue with my manual transmission now, it shifts fine when I first start it up but after I let the clutch out the first time it doesn't want to shift into any gear. I have checked the fluids and all but have no idea whats going on
Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #20
ToyotaLoyal is on a distinguished road
ToyotaLoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Thats really weird this is normal. It didnt do that when I bought it. 2001 PreRunner Dbl Cab purchased in 2003. Started not wanting to shift 2 years ago. I had to just baby it till I could afford to get it in the shop. Thought it was going to be more expencive than it was to flush it etc. Did that today for $179.00 including tax. They said all was good with it. It turned over 150,000 miles 2 days ago. Its an awesome truck....ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I will buy another one!