1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2002 Frame Replacement done experience

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by chris2002tacoma, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Jan 22, 2011 at 5:28 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    ^ that's awesome (sounds like a good dealer/shop -- even though you had to go through corporate and some b/s to get it).:thumbsup: :popcorn:

2. Jan 22, 2011 at 5:29 PM
    chris2002tacoma

chris2002tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    massachusetss
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma 4x4 trd

I will get the most recent letter from Toyota regarding the extending of date with dates and conditions and try to scan it and post it for all to read.
    Thanks for the reply.

3. Jan 22, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    chris2002tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    massachusetss
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma 4x4 trd
    I don't think the tie rods were ever replaced, but I'm not positive. I had some work done at a local Toyota dealer back when the ball joints were replaced under a recall. I had some other work done while it was there ( I think ) but don't think tie rods were done. I have had the vehicle aligned maybe 4 or 5 times since have owned it. Twice was at Toyota dealerships, and 2 or 3 times at Sears when I had tires done. I'm sure the tie rods would have been somewhat adjusted those times. The last time was probably 30 to 40 thousand miles ago I would guess. Maybe with the salt roads and frame rust combined caused them to seize up.

4. Jan 22, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    chris2002tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    massachusetss
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma 4x4 trd
    I have been posting this whole experience on several forums in order to help all Tacoma owners (including myself :confused:) who may be considering the frame replacement option. I am also doing this to help the dealerships learn from any mistakes since a big project like this is sure to have some twists and turns. Also I am doing this to help Toyota Corp see a customers side/experience.

So far all the forums have been great, although I regret to say that my thread was closed at Yotatech.com, with very little reason. I probably will not be able to post there, but am hopeful a moderator will reply to my inquiry as to exactly what thread I am able to post this experience in. I received a warning that I had to list the dealership name and that I can't just post to bash the vendor (Toyota). Well, that is certainly not the intent, and as I stated, I do not want to name names of dealer personal or Toyota corp personal out of respect until the process is final. Then I will give credit where credit is due. This is a whole process and is not just limited to the dealer as the moderator of Yotatech.com has insited.

Dear moderator of yotatech.com 1-22-2011

RE: 2002 Frame Replacement done by "insert name here" Toyota dealership

Hi, I see my thread has been closed. Maybe you could tell me what thread I should post and update my experience on. This is some very valuable information for people that may be having their frames replaced. This is not at all to bash Toyota or a dealer. The frame replacement experience is heading in a positive direction and it would be nice to share with the members on this forum rather than just the members at the other forums. This is both a dealer and vendor experience, not just dealer as a moderator insisted.

Please advise on the proper thread in which I may post from start to finish this entire experience, with updates as progress continues, weather positive or negative, in order to help all Tacoma owners, the dealer, and the vendor. There may be a mix of positive and negative posts depending on facts, but in the end all this information is best for all involved and I suspect it will all come to a positive end.

Many thanks,
    chris2002tacoma

5. Jan 27, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    chris2002tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    massachusetss
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma 4x4 trd
    UPDATE 1-27-2011

Well we have been getting pounded with snow it seems all week.

I just got my Tacoma back from the dealer and so far so good.

Toyota corporate from California, as well as some great people at the dealership, worked out the troubles I had with the tie rods and alignment for which I am grateful. I am also grateful for the dealership initially willing to do the job at a steep discount, which Toyota Corporate absorbed. I also was given another loaner vehicle during this 2nd repair. Baring any problems that cannot be noticed right now with all this snow on the roads I feel that my next update, with a more thorough review, will be all positives.

I will update just how the Tacoma rides/ steers once I get a chance to find some roads without snow and ice all over the place, but for now, the drive home seemed to steer pretty straight.

6. Jan 27, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    Zork

Zork Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA / KY
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 D-Cab
    Alpine CDA-9885
    Glad it worked out, and thank you for all the info. My frame passed inspection last year, and it was coated. This info helps me out huge if my frame gets replaced down the road. Thanks again

7. Feb 3, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    chris2002tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    massachusetss
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma 4x4 trd
    UPDATE 02/03/2011

Well it has continued to snow around here it seems every other day, but I would say the truck drives fairly straight, maybe a slight pull to the right but not much. I have had a noticeable clank noise up front. It is louder when moving the steering wheel or hitting bumps. I'm thinking maybe a bolt/nut came loose somewhere so today I am bringing up to the dealer since I have the day off and they are going to check it out. I'm sure it is just something minor, but it is very annoying. I will update later. ANyone have any thoughts feel free to post. Thanks.

8. Feb 3, 2011 at 6:29 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Chris, sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Hope this works out for you. This weather around here has been something lately huh? Now, about those people who had a problem with punctuation in you first post, I had no problem reading it, and I've seen a whole lot worse on here. This is not English class, let people post up leave the snide comments out.

9. Feb 4, 2011 at 5:43 AM
    chris2002tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    massachusetss
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma 4x4 trd

Thanks, you are right it is all about the info. My writing skills are not the best I admit. Thanks for your reply. This dealer has been pretty decent after the initial problem and I am sure they will fix whatever is rattling around.

I am curious what is the actual warranty on this frame job after it is done. I will find out and post that information also. There is always some warranty on repairs. For example exhaust is usually lifetime.

10. Feb 4, 2011 at 6:24 AM
    TawcoTime

TawcoTime Taco Verde

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '01 XtraCab TRD, Manual 3.4
    I was told 1 yr on the frame. Applies much like any other Toyota replacement part.

11. Feb 4, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    OK....I change my view on this, they never should have given you the truck back in that condition. I think a good agreement may be is that you buy the part, they R&R for free. Or, they may just perform this on their dime to make you go away.

12. Mar 4, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    chris2002tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    massachusetss
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma 4x4 trd
    Hi everyone. Been crazy busy with work lately, and misplaced my log in password. The rattling noise turned out to be a loose stabilizer link bolt, which I tightened. There is still some rattling from the middle area of the frame that I'm trying to find.

What is really strange is that over the past month the truck has been at times drifting right. Sometimes it will steer straight, but other times it wants to drift right, and it has slowly gotten worse, even though it felt straight after I picked it up after the dealer did the tie rods. What I have also noticed is that when I look at the truck from the front, the right side is lower than the left side, as if the right is jacked up. I am going to measure it today on a flat surface with a tape measure and see just how much. I think that may be causing it to drift to the right.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should look for? I want to check it out myself before I bring it back to the dealer. A freind suggested for me to check that all the frame bushings are installed and not broken/missing.

I am also pretty sure that anyone who has the Tacoma's with this frame recall from '01-'04 may qualify for a buyback. Like i said, I am not positive, but I think Toyota added in the fine print that Toyota, at their discretion, may opt to but back the vehicle if parts are not available. This was not offered during the first round of notices.

My advice to anyone that has not committed to Toyota to have their vehicle frame replaced after the inspection, should wait until the last week of the deadline to do so. (of course safety may mean do it now) At some point parts may not be available and you may get your buyback that way. You can have the inspection done and delay when you have the job done. The dealer will push you for a frame replacement if parts are available. If you can hold out you may get a buyback. Had I received the latest recall notice before having my frame replaced, I would have waited and tried for a buyback.

This experience has been a major headache. Now with the possibility of something else wrong with my truck as a result of the frame replacement is very frustrating.:confused:

I will be putting it up in the air on jack stands over the weekend to get a good look at it and shall update you all then.

BTW, I don't know if I mentioned that the check engine light was on when I picked up my truck the first time. The light went off after about 100 miles, and has not come back on since. It is possible the light comes on automatically since the dealer had to remove the battery.

13. Mar 4, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    dramey

dramey Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Princeton, KY
    I dropped my truck off Wednesday to get my frame replaced and you have me nervous.

14. Jun 8, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    terceltom

terceltom New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Allentown, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 access cab 4x4 TRD
    shocks and springs
    Dropped my 2004 Tacoma off for a new frame yesterday. The dealer I'm using is the oldest Toyota dealership in the USA. They told me I'd have it back to me on the third day. This is the thirteenth frame replacement they are performing. They told me my truck would be better than new when I get it back. I will be sure of that before I sign-off on the completed job. I only had a very small 2 inch rust hole near my gas tank. Supposedly every dealership sent one or two techs. to Toyota school to learn how to reframe a Tacoma.

15. Jun 9, 2011 at 12:47 AM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    Not trying to hijack this thread, but I thought this topic fit in just fine on this thread. I just bought a 2002 DoubleCab 4x4 with 47,000 miles on it. I got under the truck and didn't notice much rust on the frame. What area is most prone to the rusting? Should I take it to a dealership and have it inspected? What I'm worried about is having it fail and having them not let it leave their shop and I don't have the money or time for a replacement.

Oh and if it helps any, we don't use salt on our roads up here in Alaska.

Thank you.

16. Jun 9, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    chris2002tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    massachusetss
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma 4x4 trd
    I would first contact Toyota corp and let the know you now own this vehicle. Ask them to send you out all the recall paperwork. When you get the paperwork read it completely. The paper work will have a deadline for you to bring it in. They may buy the truck back if the frames are not available, but only if frame is not available. In theory you could wait up until the deadline and hope frames are not available, then get a buyback maybe. Maybe have a non Toyota frame shop do an initial inspection first. The dealership will be eager to do the frame replacement, since it is a billable repair that Toyota will pay for ($12 to $15k) and it is a money maker for the dealer. I would try any alternative to having this done. Many of the frames replacement jobs people have had done have had problems with the vehicle riding straight, sitting level, etc. It is a major job, and in my experience it was a major headache and the vehicle still does not sit straight or drive as straight as it did before I brought it in. As I understand, you will be covered for warranty for the work for 1 year period after the replacement. GL.

17. Jun 9, 2011 at 6:13 AM
    chris2002tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    massachusetss
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma 4x4 trd
    Just make sure you give it a good drive on both highway roads and smaller roads. Make certain that it drive perfectly straight. Park it on a flat surface and look at it, maybe measure the height with a tape and make sure the truck sits level. If anything does not seem right, bring it back and do not take it home until they fix it right. They have to give you a loaner car until this entire process is completed.

18. Jul 26, 2011 at 12:40 PM
    achellis8365

achellis8365 New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    3 in lift and tires
    i will have my frame replaced this week or next and u made me nervous as well my truck has 140000 on it and im sur its going to need more than they send i hope i have a good experience!

Products Discussed in

To Top