1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Potential 2004 Tacoma Buyer w/questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by thebluehoof, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Jan 19, 2011 at 11:20 PM
    thebluehoof

thebluehoof [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blaine
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 Regular Cab 4x4
    air shocks in rear for hauling loads
    Hi there, I am considering a 2004 2.7 regular cab 4x4 5 speed and I need help answering a few questions:

Rust Issue: So all 2001-04 Tacomas have an extended 15 yr warranty (from in service date) on the frame? Or is it only certain VIN's? Tacoma's registered in all 48 states? I would be purchasing in KY and registering in NC. I have read some threads about the issue but this is not clear to me.

Towing: How safe would it be to tow a 1300 lb horse trailer with one 1000 lb horse and 200 to 300 lbs of gear in the bed or trailer? The trailer is a Brenderup which is equipped with inertia brakes, and is supposed to handle wonderfully even behind small SUV's. I am in NC so I will climb some hills, but as far as braking I believe I'm good. I know about the Towing Bible and I would plan to get a tranny and oil cooler. I realize I'll be slow, but will I be ungodly slow ie a road hazard? Any input or experiences to sway me one way or the other? I have read all the threads about 4 cyl. towing which gives me a fair idea. Anybody have any similar towing experiences?

Maintenance @ 100K: Is there anything in particular I should have checked? The owner has brought it in for regular service and says he hasn't needed anything beyond brakes and oil. He told me I might need a new belt and I said that the truck has a chain, but it seems someone told him he would need to change a belt.

Tires: One thing the truck needs is new tires. He has some type of BFG and said he got 50K on them. What tires should I consider? I dry in the mountains regularly, on steep gravel roads sometimes covered with snow. I'll also use the truck on my farm on some muddy roads. But this will also be my road vehicle, and I would like to be able to travel long distances well and with good mpg. Any suggestions?

Asking Price, $9000 : The truck is in good shape, the frame looks great, was inspected-no rust- and undercoated. It has 108K miles. He's including a camper top and Yakima rack, it has a class III hitch, he installed adjustable air bags on the rear suspension (not sure what kind). The tires need to be replaced yesterday, maybe less than 1/4" of tread. How does this price sound to anyone?

Thanks for any input!:)

2. Jan 20, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    thebluehoof

thebluehoof [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blaine
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 Regular Cab 4x4
    thanks for the links! I live in the mountains 16 miles west of Asheville.

Beyond the shocks and sway bar are there any performance modifications you would really recommend...?

3. Jan 21, 2011 at 5:16 AM
    thebluehoof

thebluehoof [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blaine
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 Regular Cab 4x4
    Well, I would like to harness as much power as I can (without compromising the engine and parts longevity). As I mentioned I will occasionally tow 2500 lbs. What is the fan called exactly? Any reference for installation, and on how to do the air filter mod? I'll check past threads.

I am also interested in a winch. Not for show...I would use it for various tasks such as pulling logs up to a slope to a road. Damian, any suggestions for a winch? Would I need a custom bumper to fit a winch onto the front? I'd like to mount it to the front if possible.

4. Jan 21, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab

Products Discussed in

To Top