Notices

Valve adjustment

Old 01-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
Panda Cub is on a distinguished road

Panda Cub's Tacoma Gallery
Valve adjustment

Here is the story:

I have a 2000 taco with the 2.7l.

My taco has 143,000 miles on it, and it is idling a little rough, so I consulted my father who is a mechanic and he told me it needed a valve adjustment. I bought the special tools to get into the engine, but I need to get shims. I know that I need to check what shim I need to get after I take the engine apart. Has anybody done this job before? How expensive are shims? Will a dealer have the shims so I can pick them up while I have the engine apart?

Anybody have any idea what size shims they used? I know that I will have to measure before purchasing, but possibly I can buy multiple sizes of shims and return the ones I do not use.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You should be able to get the shims anywhere, like a NAPA, or the like. However, I have never seen a set that needed to be replaced with that little milage on it. You may want to donsider other things that might be the issue.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:10 AM   #3
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You should be able to get the shims anywhere, like a NAPA, or the like. However, I have never seen a set that needed to be replaced with that little milage on it. You may want to donsider other things that might be the issue.
X2. I have 145k and never had a valve adjustment and it doesnt need one either. Mine ran alil rough also but cleaned the Throtthe body, IAC, MAF Sensor, Seafoamed and cleaned spark plugs and it runs SMOOOOOOOTH!!!