Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Locking Leer From Inside

Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
v1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to all
v1ndictiv3's Tacoma Gallery
Locking Leer From Inside

OK, so sometimes I sleep in the bed of my taco and I would like to lock my shell when I'm inside. I have one of those leer shells with two T handles and there's mesh on the side windows so I can't lock by reaching through the windows. I'm thinking of using a dowel to wedge locks in place or a rope to secure locking bars together to make opening the shell more difficult. I know at best anything I do will only buy me a little bit of time if something happens but I'd like the little extra security. Any ideas on how to secure locks from within? Thanks.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
Locking is kind of pointless, even locked they are very easy to get into if someone really wants to.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
nermalgod is a jewel in the roughnermalgod is a jewel in the roughnermalgod is a jewel in the rough
nermalgod's Tacoma Gallery
How about a Padlock hasp, similar to what is used on a garden shed mounted to the inside. Instead of a padlock, just use a carabiner.

I sleep in the back too, but my shell has an electronic lock that I conected to my door locks. I use the key fob to lock myself in.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
Truckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud of

Name: Dan
Truckn4life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nermalgod View Post
I sleep in the back too, but my shell has an electronic lock that I conected to my door locks. I use the key fob to lock myself in.
hope your battery doesnt die on you. Don forget to turn off that night light!
Old 01-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
giddy up!
derekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 4C071
Name: Derek
derekp's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to derekp
If you have two handles (one on each side), have you tried positioning a set of vise-grips so the handle can't be turned? If you have one handle in the center position, you might try a cable style bike lock from the handle to the tie-down in the corner of the bed.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
nermalgod is a jewel in the roughnermalgod is a jewel in the roughnermalgod is a jewel in the rough
nermalgod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckn4life View Post
hope your battery doesnt die on you. Don forget to turn off that night light!
There's a handle on the inside. No need to unlock thee truck to exit.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd run a cable or rope from the inside handle to the bed tie down. Could even use a bungee cord. For added security, get an NRA sticker for the back window and make the investment and get a conceal/carry permit.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
Hoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force: Commander & Chief
Hoyle's Tacoma Gallery
maybe you need to deal with you sleepwalking issue rather than lock yourself inside..

trying to be funny...
Old 01-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
v1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to all
v1ndictiv3's Tacoma Gallery
Haha... You all crack me up. Ok, so

@magog45: I know that, but I just want something to buy me a little extra time in case someone tries to get into the back when I'm sleeping in it

@nermalgod: I thought about that and I think it'd work well for the tailgate but not for the window (where would I mount it on glass?)

@derekp: I haven't thought about that, not really at least. I was thinking about something like C clamps, but I'll check into it. And yeah I have the handle on each side.

@pugga: That would be great, but I have no tie downs because my bed is lined with bedrug (which I love). I think I might be able to tie to where the camper is bolted down, but the locking mechanisms swivel up, so I think simply running some rope or 550 paracord around both levers and tie-ing them together (under the locks so if either is turned there's always tension and they won't move) would be best. All I'm really looking for is some preventative means. Oh, and I live in CA so a conceal carry permit is pretty much out of the question unless I move out to boonies. =( With that said though, there's some campsites which I don't need a permit to carry so in those situations it'd work well. =)

Hoyle: Gave me a good laugh. Lol.

Thanks all. Think I'm gonna experiment with some sort of clamping device and rope to see what's easiest to fashion and holds up best.

Cheers.