1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Inspection

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by vtman 908, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Jan 25, 2011 at 2:47 PM
    vtman 908

vtman 908 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Tacoma TRD
    Today, I went to get my 01 tacoma inspected and it failed inspection embarrassingly. The main reason was because the rear seals were leakin oil on the brakes. Is this a common thing that happens in the trucks?

2. Jan 26, 2011 at 5:17 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I believe so, here is a bump maybe others will chime it. I will you the best in getting it fixed and inspected. :)

3. Jan 26, 2011 at 5:37 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    I don't know if it's specifically common to Tacomas, but it's not uncommon in a 10 year old vehicle. It shouldn't be too big of a deal to get that taken care of.

4. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    do you mean your wheel cyliders are leaking???

5. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:22 AM
    saweetlou

saweetlou Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guelph Ontario
    Vehicle:
    TRD Dbl cab long bed
    3in spacer
    Ha mine were gone too, no biggie its a pretty easy job, just hope the brake lines come off and you will be good.

6. Jan 26, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    This was the exact reason my 01 failed inspection as well. They wanted 1300 to fix it. I used my uncles mechanics (read: free) to do it, but I had to take the axle to toyota to press apart. Ended up costing 900. DO THE REAR DIFF BREATHER MOD.

7. Jan 27, 2011 at 5:03 AM
    saweetlou

saweetlou Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guelph Ontario
    Vehicle:
    TRD Dbl cab long bed
    3in spacer
    The main reason the seal goes is because the diff breather gets plugged or sealed, so its always a good idea to get under there and make sure the diff breather cap moves.

8. Jan 27, 2011 at 5:16 AM
    shocker01

shocker01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Ky
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    5100 Billies, drop-in k&n, deck plate, gray wire, Dynomax exhaust.
    I blew a seal on my 01, of course from pulling a camper 65-70mph through the mountains. It's an easy fix but remember to pick up a bottle of brake fluid if you diy, your gonna have to do quite a bit of bleeding when you get everything put back together.

9. Jan 27, 2011 at 5:45 AM
    Whitfield

Whitfield Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD X-cab on 35's / 96 X-cab on 33's
    Selling my 96 Tacoma to fund the FJ80 build up.

This can't be stressed enough. The diff has to breath ~ with heat the oil and gasses expand then cool contract.

Want to fix it on the cheap?

Most likely your seals are not bad but the internal pressure from poor venitng is just pushing oil past them. Pull the rear brakes and clean them up well (replace if necessary). Clean the drum / backing plate and around the rear hub. DO the breather mod and then go for reinspect. Damaged seals generally only come with age (not likely) / dirt mud contamination (still rare on somthin this new) / or bad bearings (again not likely) .

How were your brakes before inspection? How did the feel? How did they stop? Good / Good = clean and go.

**** One note of caution !!!! Often brake shoe replacment is necessary as oil gets absorbed into the friction material. Dry shoes work better...

On the other hand if you are thinking of this quick fix but doubt the conditon of your seals then just clean up the oil and drive it for a week or two then reinspect. Some auto cross guys have ben known to grease the rear brakes to vary brake proportioing in stock classes that do not alow adjustable units. Even with those cars the grease is only a temporary fix before the brakes come back to regular force.
    I have a fleet of 20+ year old vehicles that tow up to 10k# hwy and see heavy mud with original seals and no leak.

Products Discussed in

To Top