Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Replacing 'Push Button' Transfer Case with 'Manual' Transfer Case

Old 01-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
forbins is on a distinguished road
forbins's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing 'Push Button' Transfer Case with 'Manual' Transfer Case

right now my transfer case is a on the fly-bush putton type and it's busted. can I replace it with a transfer case that is manual, as in no push button???
Old 01-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
forbins's Tacoma Gallery
thanks!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
forbins's Tacoma Gallery
oh and it's a 2002 V6-TRD-5 Speed-Rear Diff Lock
Old 01-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
It will save you a shit load of money to just replace it with the original.. not to mention the hastle and work.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Did you check the fuse and switch? Might just be a simple electrical issue.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
forbins's Tacoma Gallery
long story short, i've spent $600 at a toyota dealership on random parts that they said would fix the problem, nothing worked, (don't know what was going on, but it was at the same time they were having all the gas pedal recalls) either way, i got ripped off big time, they said they tested all the switches and fuses etc... i hate the whole push button thing anyway and if I could, like to do it manually. i can get a transfer case online right now for $200 shipped. I'm just wondering if it will work, or what it will take to make it work.

Supra TT you said it will save me money not to,,, please explain, why will it cost a SHIT ton of money??
Old 01-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbins View Post
long story short, i've spent $600 at a toyota dealership on random parts that they said would fix the problem, nothing worked, i got ripped off big time, they said they tested all the switches and fuses etc... i hate the whole push button thing anyway and if I could, like to do it manually. i can get a transfer case online right now for $200 shipped. I'm just wondering if it will work, or what it will take to make it work.

Supra TT you said it will save me money not to,,, please explain, why will it cost a SHIT ton of money??
So, what exactly is the problem? What exactly did they replace?

Sounds like you should've taken your truck to another dealer before getting continually ripped off by the same dealer.

Although I'm not totally familiar with the proces - BUT - if I had to guess.... You're gonna have to change a lot of things in the front diff area...including manual hubs and different shafts up front, etc. EXPENSIVE.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
forbins's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
So, what exactly is the problem? What exactly did they replace?

Sounds like you should've taken your truck to another dealer before getting continually ripped off by the same dealer.

Although I'm not totally familiar with the proces - BUT - if I had to guess.... You're gonna have to change a lot of things in the front diff area...including manual hubs and different shafts up front, etc. EXPENSIVE.
as for the dealer end of it, they told me it was different things on different occasions, i kept racking up a bill on service, but I got the run-around several times, at first they told me it was something electrical but not a fuse or switch, then they told me it was the read diff lock motor, which was BS and then they said they made a mistake and that it was the front a.d.d. motor, so i purchased that and installed it, still nothing. I'm fed up with messing with this push buttton garbage and would like to got the manual route.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
as for the dealer end of it, they told me it was different things on different occasions, i kept racking up a bill on service, but I got the run-around several times, at first they told me it was something electrical but not a fuse or switch, then they told me it was the read diff lock motor, which was BS and then they said they made a mistake and that it was the front a.d.d. motor, so i purchased that and installed it, still nothing. I'm fed up with messing with this push buttton garbage and would like to got the manual route.
So, what exactly is it NOT doing? I'm gonna assume its' not engaging into 4WD?
Give us some information of whats happening....

Have you (or they) inspected the vacuum lines that operate the system?

Have you (or they) inspected the axle sleeve in the diff housing area?

Did you do some research online and find out exactly how the system works?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #13
forbins's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So, what exactly is it NOT doing? I'm gonna assume its' not engaging into 4WD?
Give us some information of whats happening....

Have you (or they) inspected the vacuum lines that operate the system?

Have you (or they) inspected the axle sleeve in the diff housing area?

Did you do some research online and find out exactly how the system works?
not trying to be a dick here, don't really want to go into details of what happened,i've done all the research and whatnot, it's not engaging,

I just want to know if I can switch out these transfer cases or not.

searched for 'awsumduck' and it said no such user existed
Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #15
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
not trying to be a dick here, don't really want to go into details of what happened,i've done all the research and whatnot, it's not engaging,

I just want to know if I can switch out these transfer cases or not.

searched for 'awsumduck' and it said no such user existed
You haven't done enough research. Because....if you did, you wouldn't need to come here and ask about converting. There is plenty of information out there.

You're expecting us to give you a straight 'easy' answer and that's not gonna happen. Its much more complicated than that.

But...if you had done all your research (like you claim you have) , you'd know this already.

**sorry man....not trying to be a dick either
Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #17
forbins's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You haven't done enough research. Because....if you did, you wouldn't need to come here and ask about converting. There is plenty of information out there.

You're expecting us to give you a straight 'easy' answer and that's not gonna happen. Its much more complicated than that.

But...if you had done all your research (like you claim you have) , you'd know this already.

**sorry man....not trying to be a dick either

look man, i've done my research you jack wagon, i didn't come here for an answer on whats wrong with my transfer case i'm pretty sure I know what's wrong with it, my question is/was can I switch the transfer case out with a manual, so if you know the answer, great, let me know, if you don't know, then beat it! jesus christ!!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
look man, i've done my research you jack wagon, i didn't come here for an answer on whats wrong with my transfer case i'm pretty sure I know what's wrong with it, my question is/was can I switch the transfer case out with a manual, so if you know the answer, great, let me know, if you don't know, then beat it! jesus christ!!
He is a she.

Yes you can do it. Do some searching for instructions on how to do it. Others have done it. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/search.php Use words like "manual" or "case."
Old 01-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #19
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Why would he need to change all these things if he is just swapping the transfer case? I have on 04 D-Cab, auto-tranny, with the manual 4X4 shift lever. I don't have manual hubs or any of the old "lock-out" style front end. As long as the case dimensions are the same, it should bolt right in. I am guessing that it might plug in to the electronics differently, and there would be a few other changes (shift lever) to deal with.

Again, as others have said, you will have to do a search on the TW site for better information.