Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I got sold a lemon, is there any recourse?

Old 01-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
BigJim9 is on a distinguished road
BigJim9's Tacoma Gallery
I got sold a lemon, is there any recourse?

I ended up buying that truck a 95 Taco. I signed an As Is and drove it off, thinking everything was fine. I was told that the vehicle had been inspected by Toyota for frame rot and had passed.

I took it to a mechanic today, who promptly found frame rot in a place I couldnt see while doing a visual inspection, along with a few mechanical issues that need to be sorted out. The total bill will probably push north of 3,000, more depending on the severity of the frame rot.

I bought the car six days ago. Do I have a chance at getting a refund?
Old 01-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Get a lawyer asap
Old 01-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Not really, no.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
dirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to behold

dirthawker1313's Tacoma Gallery
Buyer Beware...i think your out of luck. sorry!
Old 01-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim9 View Post
I was told that the vehicle had been inspected by Toyota for frame rot and had passed.
Should have asked for the dealer inspection receipt.
Should have gotten the truck checked out by your mechanic before paying.

Live and learn.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Probably not but they have good resale value I say go trade it in u might take a 1k hit but beter than 3k+
Old 01-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Proud Tundra *****
oofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
oofy15354's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroberts View Post
there are no lemon laws on used vehicles
false. it depends on the state. MA for example offers this.

what state did you purchase the vehicle in?
Old 01-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim9 View Post
I ended up buying that truck a 95 Taco. I signed an As Is and drove it off, thinking everything was fine. I was told that the vehicle had been inspected by Toyota for frame rot and had passed.

I took it to a mechanic today, who promptly found frame rot in a place I couldnt see while doing a visual inspection, along with a few mechanical issues that need to be sorted out. The total bill will probably push north of 3,000, more depending on the severity of the frame rot.

I bought the car six days ago. Do I have a chance at getting a refund?
The document you signed that says as is, means you bought the truck knowing there could be defects. Basically the dealer only has to make sure the vehicle is safe to drive, brakes, tires, seat belts work, etc. Maybe you can get them on the frame rot depending on how bad it is? It's always worth a try. What's the worst that could happen?
Old 01-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
BigJim9 is on a distinguished road
BigJim9's Tacoma Gallery
Frame rot is under recall, thus unsafe to drive, no?
Old 01-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
^And Toyota won't buy it back because you just bought it.

Did you buy it from a dealer or private seller? If it was from a dealer, do you have ANY sort of written proof that they performed an inspection? If not, then your case isn't very strong.

You really need to contact a good Lawyer ASAP.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
If you bought it from a dealer i think you have a chance.a dealer can't sell car/truck that is unsafe to drive. Private sale you might have to work harder to get your money back.
PS please don't list your truck for sale on here lolololol
Old 01-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Regardless if your state offers lemon law status for used vehicles, make sure to educate yourself as to what lemon law vehicles actually are. Varies by state but typically it's having the same problem which fails to be fixed after X amount of attempts. Just having a bunch of issues with it doesn't make it a "lemon." I'd decide what you really want to get out of this exactly before you bother getting a lawyer, especially since you purchased the car as is. That's probably going to hold up more than you trying to say they verbally told you that it was inspected by Toyota. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #14
gtdad66 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
gtdad66's Tacoma Gallery
Dont forget to mention the dealers name on this site so others can beware of them.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #15
Flash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to behold
Army: CPT MI 35D
Flash1034's Tacoma Gallery
Buyer beware...my brotha

Flash
Old 01-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #16
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
Regardless if your state offers lemon law status for used vehicles, make sure to educate yourself as to what lemon law vehicles actually are. Varies by state but typically it's having the same problem which fails to be fixed after X amount of attempts. Just having a bunch of issues with it doesn't make it a "lemon." I'd decide what you really want to get out of this exactly before you bother getting a lawyer, especially since you purchased the car as is. That's probably going to hold up more than you trying to say they verbally told you that it was inspected by Toyota. Good luck.
x2

lemon law is typically after 3 failed attempts of the SAME problem. you bought it AS IS. live and learn.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #17
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkie152 View Post
x2

lemon law is typically after 3 failed attempts of the SAME problem. you bought it AS IS. live and learn.
I would say typically is a stretch. Louisiana is 4 attempts or 90 days out of service. Indiana and New York is 4 attempts or 30 days. Florida says 3 attempts or 15 days.

So it's pretty all over. And most law has a section describing eligible sales/cars...so the posts before that said not for used cars isn't always true either.

This one- If you signed off "As Is"-Sounds like you mighta given up your rights to anything on this one...but I would talk to a consumer advocate type lawyer before you just give up.