Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Drain Mod instead of Deck Plate Mod???

Old 01-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Turp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Operations: Fire, Technical Rescue, EMS
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
Drain Mod instead of Deck Plate Mod???

If you're not off roading, any need in a deck plate?

I was thinking of a floor drain route. I saw this was used by another Tacoma owner and am considering it.

Application: You pretty much cut the same size and positioned hole as the Deck Plate Mod and the floor drain fixture screws in place with its own retaining nut. The drain has a grate so large debis would be kept out. Down-side for wet offroading is it's harder to plug, but for my use, not a problem.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Pull the elbow-I did and I love the resulting throttle behavior and extra feww horseez real easy and the whole mod is hidden.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...dge-style.html
Old 01-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
Turp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud of
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Pull the elbow-I did and I love the resulting throttle behavior and extra feww horseez real easy and the whole mod is hidden.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...dge-style.html

Is the elbow you refer to, the pipe from the airbox to the fender?

Ooops....I missed the liknk reading now..... Thanks.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes-there's the box-an elbow attachment fitted in the fender-then a long snorkel that runs backwards toward your radio antenna inside the fender.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #5

I disconnected the long snorkel and pulled it out, then I removed the elbow and cut the L part off and re-inserted the remaining part that fits into the fenderhole-then reattached the box to that, This gets you cool fresh air from outside the engine bay-plus it still looks stock at the box
Old 01-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
Curious about the mounting bolts. Did you spin the snorkel in the mount flange or spin the whole mount flange and disregard bolting it to the fender?

I'm no stranger to removing snokels and I like your approach.

Your mod puts the air intake postion where my stock 2nd gen Isuzu Trooper was; thing was it had a snake of pipe that was a "U" shape around the airbox. I removed it. In addition My YJ Wrangler had a short snorkel that extended forward through the grill, but still had a turn in it and small opening. Both were just above the headlights and the modified opening were only slightly lower than original.

Looks like I'll do some snorkel removal, take the drain back, and pocket 7 bucks... Thanks

You mentioned the engine sound, I noticed that right after installing my K&N on my Tacoma and my Jeep.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #7

As you can see in my thread I first cut about 3' of the elbow at an angle and then spun it forward to "catch" the incoming air-but after consulting with Gadget-the guy who started this thing, he told me it's still acting restrictive that way and looking at that bend it made sense, so I cut that elbow all the way down but left that "tab" to help keep it properly seated in the fender. Now it has that nice big opening suckin up that fresh air sans engine heat you may suck in with a drainmod or deckplate. The key is to keep that fender insertion part of the mod to keep hot air out of the equation. They apparently installed this whole thing to make the truck able to ford water-that's nice if you find yourself in that situation-but us regular guys will never see that. This mod basically puts the fresh air entry point back to where it should be.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
Like this method. Thanks
Old 01-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #9

Glad to have helped ya! Please put up how you like it-oh and very important...do the ECU reset by disconnecting the positive side of the battery for about 10 minutes then reconnecting it so it can learn the change quickly. I disconnected mine then did the mod then reconnected it-so about a half hour.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #10
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Glad to have helped ya! Please put up how you like it-oh and very important...do the ECU reset by disconnecting the positive side of the battery for about 10 minutes then reconnecting it so it can learn the change quickly. I disconnected mine then did the mod then reconnected it-so about a half hour.

Sure Thing