Notices

Load sensing brake proportioning valve?

Old 02-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
CdnSldr is on a distinguished road
Army: Vehicle Tech. CPL, Maint. Coy, 18 Service Battalion
Name: Josh
CdnSldr's Tacoma Gallery
Load sensing brake proportioning valve?

My BPV is rusted to shit and no longer functioning. When I squeeze the rubber boot I can hear the rust crunching. (Thankyou Northern Ontario for 15 years of salt filled winters!)

I am wondering where I can find one of these valves. Ive searched all of the popular online auto parts stores and have found nothing. Toyota wants about $300 for one of these from the dealer!

Ive check the local scrap yards and all the ones I found are in just as bad shape as mine.

let me know if any of you guys have dealt with replacing yours. thanks all!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
2000SIG is on a distinguished road
2000SIG's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same situation last week with my 2004.One of the tech at the Gm dealer that I work for fix this for me.He removed the dust boot, took it apart and clean it.Once all the rust was gone he sprayed some rust inhibitor paint inside.Put back tpgether and it works just like a new one.Total cost 100$/2.3h labour.

hope this help

Marc
Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Di Trut has a spectacular aura aboutDi Trut has a spectacular aura about

Di Trut's Tacoma Gallery
you can replace the stock one with an aftermarket manually adjustable valve, something like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...5&autoview=sku
Old 02-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di Trut View Post
you can replace the stock one with an aftermarket manually adjustable valve, something like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...5&autoview=sku
I'm not sure how he could integrate that with the rear BPV. Those are adjustable, however - once you set them - they're set.

The rear BPV on the 1st gens adjusts according to the weight in the bed.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #5

Di Trut's Tacoma Gallery
Well, it's a manual valve so if you wanted to change the distribution you just turn the knob to whatever balance you would like.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di Trut View Post
Well, it's a manual valve so if you wanted to change the distribution you just turn the knob to whatever balance you would like.
It is adjustable ...but once you set it, its SET. No day to day adjustments unless you craw underneath and adjust it youself.

The BPV on the rear axle of the tacoma (1st gens) adjusts based on how much weight is in the bed. There's a bar attached to the axle that goes up to the BPV. If you put 1000lbs in the bed, the bar will pivot inside the BPV to automatically adjust the braking pressure at that moment. Once you remove the weight from the bed, it automatically re-adjusts again.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think mine really works anymore. I can't tell the difference when it is working and when it isn't. Tempted to remove it.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:31 AM   #9
Space Wrangler is on a distinguished road

Name: JCT
Space Wrangler's Tacoma Gallery
they do make an 'in cab' adjustable bpv. ..but i've only seen it used on race cars/trucks. ..i assume it's prohibitively expensive.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #10

Di Trut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
It is adjustable ...but once you set it, its SET. No day to day adjustments unless you craw underneath and adjust it youself.

The BPV on the rear axle of the tacoma (1st gens) adjusts based on how much weight is in the bed. There's a bar attached to the axle that goes up to the BPV. If you put 1000lbs in the bed, the bar will pivot inside the BPV to automatically adjust the braking pressure at that moment. Once you remove the weight from the bed, it automatically re-adjusts again.
I know exactly how the system works, thanks. And it's not too hard turn the knob to adjust balance when you have a heavy load in the bed, which isn't all that often for most people.

Depending on what a new lspv costs, it might be worth the extra hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Wrangler View Post
they do make an 'in cab' adjustable bpv. ..but i've only seen it used on race cars/trucks. ..i assume it's prohibitively expensive.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...5&autoview=sku

something like this one. you just have to run the lines through the cab.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
CdnSldr is on a distinguished road
Army: Vehicle Tech. CPL, Maint. Coy, 18 Service Battalion
Name: Josh
CdnSldr's Tacoma Gallery
New lspv's are worth about $300 new from Toyota! :O
Old 06-22-2011, 04:24 AM   #12
In over my head...
james has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant future

Army: P.O.L.
james's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

What activates it? The angle the rear end tilts? Something more sophisticated? I put double that weight in/on my truck three weeks ago, but compensated with air bags back there so that the truck ran level. Did the valve sense it anyway?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:28 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
What activates it? The angle the rear end tilts? Something more sophisticated? I put double that weight in/on my truck three weeks ago, but compensated with air bags back there so that the truck ran level. Did the valve sense it anyway?
Yes..whatever angle the rear tilts.

Since you've compensated with airbags ( and made the truck level again) - you've defeated the BPV in doing its job to compensate for the weight (basically).
Old 06-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #14
In over my head...
james has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant future

Army: P.O.L.
james's Tacoma Gallery
Huh... Learned something. Thanks, Janster. And thanks for the quick reply.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
stumpsterj is on a distinguished road
stumpsterj's Tacoma Gallery
I read your article. The proportioning valve was leaking badly. New part was $200.00. My dad pulled the valve out, cleaned it thoroughly and put it back together. It is good as new and didnt cost anything except a can of parts cleaner. Thanks for the POST. I own a 1996 Tacoma 4 cylinder and am at 295,000 miles and counting! Thanks again!!!