1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear chirp/screech sound when engaging 1st and 2nd gear

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by g8404, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Feb 5, 2011 at 9:23 PM
    g8404

g8404 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma TRD SR5 4x4
    When I let off the clutch in first and second gear I hear a chirp/screech kind of sounds like the tires but more like a metal screeching sound. Does anyone know what it might be from? I haven't had a chance to have someone watch while I drive to confirm that it is not the tires, but it doesn't seem like it.

Other possibly related symptoms/issues:
    -Leaking rear diff.
    -damaged exhaust pipe from overloading the bed by previous owner who neglected that this awesome truck still has limitations.
    -was in an accident--damage to the r-front suspension (prev. owner again)

Also, I went and got an alignment a while back and the front right wheel rubs on the wheel well when I turn right. The left one is fine. I haven't had any time to take it back in but this seems like a significant amount. The truck does not wander either. Could it be the setback? I don't want to go back to the alignment place and have them say that it is aligned when it really isn't. Unfortunately I have never ever trusted a mechanic because there is always something that they tell me I need when I don't, or they don't fix properly what I paid them for. I realize that they have to make money but the money comes from repeat service. Repeat service because they were honest and the work was done well. Not because they did a poor job the first time and have to fix something they didn't do right or failed to do. Ok, the venting helped. If anyone knows an honest shop, that does great work, in the Los Angeles area, please let me know.

2. Feb 6, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    I have the same exact thing and it annoys the shit out of me so I just turn up the radio lol.. but of the things you've listed its not the exhaust cause mines brand new and its not from accident damage cause my truck is clean so I think its something with the axle maybe a bad seal or something, does it sound something like your chirping your tires and makes kind of an "rrrrrrr" sound?

3. Feb 7, 2011 at 8:07 PM
    g8404

g8404 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma TRD SR5 4x4
    Definitely sounds like the tires almost, but haven't heard the rrrrrrr sound.

There are some posts on u-joint problems that sound like they might be related but I haven't read anything specific to my sound.

4. Feb 8, 2011 at 12:54 AM
    BFA

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    Well I think I just need to have friend drive so I can sit in the bed and try to pinpoint the problem. It sounds so much like the tires are starting to slip but its not like I'm dumping the clutch.. I dunno. If I figure it out ill let you know

5. Feb 8, 2011 at 12:57 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    Greased your drive shaft lately? I used to get a metal screech, greased up my shaft and the sound went away

6. Feb 8, 2011 at 1:02 AM
    BFA

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    Yeah I did a couple months ago, wouldn't hurt to check it again though

7. Feb 8, 2011 at 6:26 AM
    Zork

Zork Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA / KY
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 D-Cab
    Alpine CDA-9885
    I had the same issue on my 2000 PreRunner. It would only chirp between 30-40mph when I let off the gas. If I applied the gas it would go away. We could not pin point exactly where it was coming from so we swapped the U joint, and greased the beans out the zerk fittings, and it seemed to fix the problem. I drove it for another 40k, and never came back.

8. Apr 18, 2012 at 12:22 AM
    Tacoma206

Tacoma206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
    I have the "rrrrr" type sound when I am shifting from first to second. It especially seems to do it when I am on some type of hill. But the funny thing is I have been teaching my friend to drive (manual transmission), so when we go anywhere he drives and I never hear it. So i'm wondering if it has something to do with the way I drive it. I started giving it more gas when I let the clutch out and it doesn't seem to do it nearly as often.

I realize this doesn't offer an answer as to what on the truck may making the noise, but if it bothers you as much as it bothers me it might be worth seeing if the noise is related to how you personally drive your truck (might really only apply to manual transmission drivers).

9. Apr 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    One time, I had a problem with the rear drive shaft rubbing against the gas tank skid plate. When letting out the clutch, the axle tilted (wrapped?) causing the drive shaft to tilt into the skid plate.

Look for shiny metal on the shaft where it might be rubbing.

10. Dec 27, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    Tacoma206

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
    Anybody figure out this issue yet?

11. Dec 27, 2012 at 3:53 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    I was going to suggest the shaft and the ujoints myself.

12. Dec 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM
    Tacoma206

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
    I had the dealer check it out and they told me it was the clutch. They said they would take it apart and find the problem, but if it is the clutch, then I have to pay for the labor. They quoted me the labor of over $1,000

Products Discussed in

To Top