Notices

Losing power after mods?

Old 02-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Banned
Skillet is on a distinguished road
Name: Caleb
Skillet's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Losing power after mods?

Ok so I had a hair up my ass one day went out and bought a K&N cai, JBA headers and Borla cat back.. Hauled ass for about two weeks and got better mileage than ever, then...all the sudden threw codes maf sensor and tps sensor, so threw in new factory parts and now no codes... But now my truck is slower than it was completely stock. What is up with my truck it's drivin me up a wall? Oh yah 3.4 V-6,and auto trans 1999 prerunner
Old 02-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Maybe your cats got clogged? Maybe it is just you.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
My guess is the MAF sensor needs a good cleaning since you threw a code a couple weeks after install of the CAI-you may have over-oiled the element and the oil spooged up the sensor wires. They sell the spray MAF cleaner. If you need advice on how-to them PM me when you're ready.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Did you have any dyno testing done to confirm differences or is this all just placebo effect?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
Thanks Ill try that and see what happens. Thinking of seafoam maybe that may help a bit.
That's fine for the motor but I would start with the MAF cleaner-$6. A little dirt in the engine aint going to throw codes.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
How did you like those jBA headers? And as others have stated I would take a look at your maf.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
Banned
Skillet is on a distinguished road
Name: Caleb
Skillet's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

It was the maf , the headers are cool they sound good and give a bit more torque though they were a beast to put on 9 straight hours, but Im a neat freak and cleaned everything while I was at it. My K&N intake had gotten my maf oily and that was an over oiled filter from the factory, I cleaned the filter and lightly oiled it and now it prob won't get the maf screwed up again. I guess too much oil is the enemy ( but isn't not enough oil bad too?)
Old 02-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
It was the maf , the headers are cool they sound good and give a bit more torque though they were a beast to put on 9 straight hours, but Im a neat freak and cleaned everything while I was at it. My K&N intake had gotten my maf oily and that was an over oiled filter from the factory, I cleaned the filter and lightly oiled it and now it prob won't get the maf screwed up again. I guess too much oil is the enemy ( but isn't not enough oil bad too?)
IMO a dry filter is best.