Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What have you done to your Tacoma today? 1st Gen Edition

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #24421
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcmahan2206 View Post
Well, shoot... I thought you knew you were always invited, Jonnie! I'll be going almost every Sunday for the next 2 months since I have no other time to do so! My schedule sucks right now because my EMT class takes up all day on Saturdays and from 1700 to 2100 after work on Mondays and Tuesdays, with drill at the fire station on Wednesdays from 1800 to 2000! But I'll be damned if I don't fit some rydin' time in there somewhere!
I'm totally jelly, i have never drove a sled by myself, i've always boarded but wanted to ride one. I'm hoping to come back to boise in the next couple months tho.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #24422
Mind = Blown
Loudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: EOD
Name: Blair
Loudpedal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saundern View Post
and did y'all get the christmas tree on that trip?
Five or six of us did i think. That snowstorm came up fast.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #24423
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
Whatever you do don't get alcans, mine sagged within a few weeks, even with 400lbs capacity over stock.
This is a blanket statement that isn't accurate to the quality of Alcans. They make an awesome set of springs you just need to spec it out correctly and know what to expect from them.

Their springs consistently sit taller than spec'd when installed. This is by design, because they are designed to "relax" once they've broken in and settle to the correct height. So yeah they are going to sag, but they are supposed to. You get the best ride out of them that way.

Most people are suprised when they install Alcans at how tall they are and they usually end up calling Alcan and saying the springs are too tall and too stiff. Once they allow them to break in they feel like they are "just right". If nagorb didn't notice that the springs were sitting a little tall at the time of install then I'm not suprised that you feel like they sagged too far once they broke in.

I've had two sets of Alcan springs on two different trucks. I had a set of 5.5" Alcans on my FJ40 and they were more like 6.5" when I put them on. They settled at 5" which was perfect for what I wanted,

Same thing with a set of 5" Alcans I had on my old '85 minitruck. they were really tall at first and then settled to the perfect height. that truck with the Alcans and some Bilstein shocks was the best riding truck I've owned.

The trick with Alcans is knowing how to order them and getting the specs right since they are a totally custom spring. Charles (the owner) is a great guy and will work with you to get it right if you can get him all the right info.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #24425
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
This is a blanket statement that isn't accurate to the quality of Alcans. They make an awesome set of springs you just need to spec it out correctly and know what to expect from them.

Their springs consistently sit taller than spec'd when installed. This is by design, because they are designed to "relax" once they've broken in and settle to the correct height. So yeah they are going to sag, but they are supposed to. You get the best ride out of them that way.

Most people are suprised when they install Alcans at how tall they are and they usually end up calling Alcan and saying the springs are too tall and too stiff. Once they allow them to break in they feel like they are "just right". If nagorb didn't notice that the springs were sitting a little tall at the time of install then I'm not suprised that you feel like they sagged too far once they broke in.

I've had two sets of Alcan springs on two different trucks. I had a set of 5.5" Alcans on my FJ40 and they were more like 6.5" when I put them on. They settled at 5" which was perfect for what I wanted,

Same thing with a set of 5" Alcans I had on my old '85 minitruck. they were really tall at first and then settled to the perfect height. that truck with the Alcans and some Bilstein shocks was the best riding truck I've owned.

The trick with Alcans is knowing how to order them and getting the specs right since they are a totally custom spring. Charles (the owner) is a great guy and will work with you to get it right if you can get him all the right info.
+1
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #24426
mmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT(Medic in trailing)
Name: Matt
mmcmahan2206's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J88logue View Post
I'm totally jelly, i have never drove a sled by myself, i've always boarded but wanted to ride one. I'm hoping to come back to boise in the next couple months tho.
Well get yourself a sled, drive up to McCallywood, and I'll teach ya how to ride the sh*t out of a sled!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #24427
Bobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobert14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmodel65 View Post
not supposed to run a solid tranny mount unless you run solid motor mounts...
Why's that?
Old 12-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #24428
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Differential movement between the two. One will be constrained from moving, the other not. Either they both move, or they are both solid and you go to vibetown.

If one is restrained and the other allowed to move you'll be stressing/ torquing things that weren't designed to take those sort of loads.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #24429
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post

You are so right! Thats exactly how it went with mine. When I installed 'em, they sat real high, then settled down almost 2". Now they are perfect. Just like they told me when I ordered them.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #24430
4Running
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
paid it off.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #24433
FramerKat will become famous soon enough

Name: kAt
FramerKat's Tacoma Gallery
Took some pics of my sagging springs. Going to shop around locally and see if anyone here can replace them for me (and will most likely order the Wheeler's pack if I can't source something locally). Wonder why there was a TSB for 2nd gen springs and not these...they're obviously not the proper spring for this vehicle.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #24434
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
sold the DC
Old 12-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #24435
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
sold the DC
To a fortunate fellow
Old 12-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #24436
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Finally got around to doing my cup holder tabs. Made it out of double stacked mouse pad.
What have you done to your Tacoma today? 1st Gen Edition-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355279915.673496.jpg
Also washed it and took the mudflats off.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #24437
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
sold the DC
What why!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #24438
Bobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobert14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Differential movement between the two. One will be constrained from moving, the other not. Either they both move, or they are both solid and you go to vibetown.

If one is restrained and the other allowed to move you'll be stressing/ torquing things that weren't designed to take those sort of loads.
That's a good point. Maybe I should try out the solid motor mounts. Not like its permanent if I don't like it.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #24439
lifted97tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Luke
lifted97tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a dark green 1997 tacoma single cab 2.7 liter. I have added many mods including a 2.5" suspension lift, 31x10.50x15 mickey thompson tires, 15x10 dick cepek dc-2 wheels, black nerf bars, bug shield, window visors, window tint, black toolbox, k&n fipk air intake, and some other mods on the interior. I am looking for suggestions on ways to improve the looks and/or performance of my tacoma. If you have any suggestions please let me know.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #24440
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97tacoma View Post
I have a dark green 1997 tacoma single cab 2.7 liter. I have added many mods including a 2.5" suspension lift, 31x10.50x15 mickey thompson tires, 15x10 dick cepek dc-2 wheels, black nerf bars, bug shield, window visors, window tint, black toolbox, k&n fipk air intake, and some other mods on the interior. I am looking for suggestions on ways to improve the looks and/or performance of my tacoma. If you have any suggestions please let me know.
First mod..get new rims or tires. You shouldn't be running a 10" wide rims on 10.5" wide tires.

Then loose the nerd bars..sliders man

Get a magnaflow muffer then a sc and deck plate mod for performance

Bit more importantly..do what you want. It's your truck not ours.

Products Discussed in this Thread