Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What have you done to your Tacoma today? 1st Gen Edition

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #61401
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Redid my intake. I did the in-cab snorkel. HUGE drop in intake temps, this is a real CAI. My intake temps dropped from 114* to 78*. As suspected, there is a dramatic increase in noise in the cab when at WOT. I'm looking for some pre-filter foam to use inside the tube to baffle the noise a bit. At idle and cruising the noise isn't bad at all, just when I'm on the throttle.

More pics in my build
Old 07-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #61402
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Redid my intake. I did the in-cab snorkel. HUGE drop in intake temps, this is a real CAI. My intake temps dropped from 114* to 78*. As suspected, there is a dramatic increase in noise in the cab when at WOT. I'm looking for some pre-filter foam to use inside the tube to baffle the noise a bit. At idle and cruising the noise isn't bad at all, just when I'm on the throttle.
Yeah, when Jon's truck was an actual truck and drivable, I was in it a few times as a passenger. He had the in-cab snorkel and it was a considerable drone.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #61403
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
And turns into a hot air intake in the winter right?

Jokes aside - how did the intake tempts of when you had the snorkel compare? I'm assuming the 114 is stock location?
Old 07-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #61404
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
And turns into a hot air intake in the winter right?

Jokes aside - how did the intake tempts of when you had the snorkel compare? I'm assuming the 114 is stock location?
The Safari Snorkel with similar ambient temps in the mid 90s would hit in the 95-105* range intake temps. The 114* was not the stock location but inside the engine bay, similar to any after market "CAI". The stock location would likely be more similar to what I was seeing with the Safari Snorkel.

As for winter intake temps, it should be about the same since the temps inside the cab are going to be about the same regardless of season.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #61405
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info!
Old 07-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #61406
MainahWithaYota is on a distinguished road
MainahWithaYota's Tacoma Gallery
Failed frame inspection
Old 07-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #61407
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainahWithaYota View Post
Failed frame inspection
Damn that sucks
Old 07-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #61408
Nah I'm actually excited. ... I'm getting all new frame under the warranty!
Old 07-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #61409
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. Mine got a new frame in 2012.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #61410
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Failed frame inspection
I think a toyota forum is the only place you'll see that sentence followed by a smiley.

Mine's getting real close and honestly I'm excited too. Probably will drag it out as long as I can though to prolong things post-replacement.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #61411
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Clean work Adam! Looks like there was quite a significant amount of room to work with using the glass. I recall a TTORA truck that had to have pretty much the entire snorkel shaved down to fit under the stock fenders. Any luck finding material for covering the fender/wheel wells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Yeah, when Jon's truck was an actual truck and drivable, I was in it a few times as a passenger. He had the in-cab snorkel and it was a considerable drone.
BS. I never heard any drone from the in-cab snorkel.

... not that being born completely deaf in my right ear has anything to do with it.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #61412
Roll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Quinton
Roll Tide's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Clean work Adam! Looks like there was quite a significant amount of room to work with using the glass. I recall a TTORA truck that had to have pretty much the entire snorkel shaved down to fit under the stock fenders. Any luck finding material for covering the fender/wheel wells?

... not that being born completely deaf in my right ear has anything to do with it.

huh?
Old 07-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #61413
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:

thanks Jon. I did have to shave the corner off the front elbow and cover the hole. But you're right it would have been tough with stock fenders unless you used 2" pipe instead of 3" like I did. I just posted up in my build that I'm changing it and it will no longer go into the cab. Just too much noise for long term driveability. Should still be clean and work will though.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #61414
Talk slow, shoot fast.
DirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
DirtyDTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
huh?

Lmao
Old 07-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #61415
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
I think a toyota forum is the only place you'll see that sentence followed by a smiley.

Mine's getting real close and honestly I'm excited too. Probably will drag it out as long as I can though to prolong things post-replacement.
Haha I know right? I feel weird being happy about it!
Old 07-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #61416
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Tell me about it. My heart would weep tears every time I said something to you only for it to go ignored, completely.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #61417
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Haha I know right? I feel weird being happy about it!
So r u getting replaced or 1.5x $$?
Old 07-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #61418

Well... I took the spare off and threw it in the bed and PB blasted all the nuts/bolts of the suspension one last time. And since the spare was off I saw rust outlines on the inside of my frame from where Jon welded on the frame plates on the outside.

Perfect opportunity to sand and paint with rust stop enamel.

Gotta go out and get the ribs and a few ingredients for the special sauce....

t-minus 15.5 hours until Ol' Red goes under the knife
Old 07-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #61419
quetzal is on a distinguished road

Name: Mario
quetzal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Well... I took the spare off and threw it in the bed and PB blasted all the nuts/bolts of the suspension one last time. And since the spare was off I saw rust outlines on the inside of my frame from where Jon welded on the frame plates on the outside.

Perfect opportunity to sand and paint with rust stop enamel.

Gotta go out and get the ribs and a few ingredients for the special sauce....

t-minus 15.5 hours until Ol' Red goes under the knife
Sorry I missed it, what's getting done to your Ol' Red?
Old 07-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #61420

Quote:
Originally Posted by quetzal View Post
Sorry I missed it, what's getting done to your Ol' Red?
New suspension.

OME all around (881s)

CB drop, diff drop if necessary, new front and rear brake lines, BPV bracket, etc...

Once that's all one... putting on the new to me (and newly painted) wheels wrapped in new tires (Goodyear All Terrain Adventure 31x10.5r15). Then off to get aligned on Wednesday.

Then driving down to Bandolier Nat'l Moment to camp for the weekend with friends.

Products Discussed in this Thread