Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What have you done to your Tacoma today? 1st Gen Edition

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #18622
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
14"? manga flow FTMFW
Yup 14"
Old 08-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #18624
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
Please explain how switching a high flow muffler for another high flow muffler of a different brand can change throttle response.

And why a short exhaust pipe compared to a stock length one makes no difference in back pressure.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #18625
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
change the back pressure. could also be mistaking response to increased low end torque.

length isnt the key to back pressure, the diameter of the pipe does. try breathing through a coffee straw. it doesnt mater if its 5 inches long or 20, it still is going to be the same struggle to breath through
I have been using an 18 inch magnaflow 2.25 inch muffler since 07 on 2 trucks and I was using a 14 inch one that sounded too ricey on a 2.4 base model before swapping to a mellow tone 18 inch.

always had 2.25 piping and stock length piping.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #18626
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco me elmo View Post
Please explain how switching a high flow muffler for another high flow muffler of a different brand can change throttle response.

And why a short exhaust pipe compared to a stock length one makes no difference in back pressure.
The manga flow provides more back pressure then the flowmaster thus increasing low end torque and throttle response. The 3.4l is very touchy about back pressure. The manga flow still opens it up a bit much but not as bad as the flowmaster
Old 08-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #18629
Who needs roads?

Quote:
im running the same muffler but 2.5in in/out. i know Blackdawg has some trouble with having 3in piping out the truck with losing bp and the engine dying off high revs
Why did you go with a larger in and out but kept the 2.25 cat back piping?

I am also running a set of doug thorley long tube headers.

I love how mellow my engine growl is. nice and low tone
Old 08-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #18630
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
change the back pressure. could also be mistaking response to increased low end torque.

length isnt the key to back pressure, the diameter of the pipe does. try breathing through a coffee straw. it doesnt mater if its 5 inches long or 20, it still is going to be the same struggle to breath through
Whoops

All I know is that I can feel a difference. Not sure I know exactly what or how to explain but it's there
Old 08-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #18632
Who needs roads?

Quote:
i run 2.25 stock tubing back to the muffler thats 2.5in tubing and its dumped and turned down immediately.

BTW, do you thing the headers are worth the money?

could be both
I had broken stock manifolds so it was for me, if your stock parts are in good shape and you arent super charged, dont get headers.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #18634
I doughnut belong here.
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
you just don't know it yet, but you are ready.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #18635
99tacoprerunner is on a distinguished road

Name: oscar
99tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery

I just finished putting on my new grill......WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #18636
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
not spending any money lol just asking questions to know more

im not ready for any armor besides belly skids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipreferwater View Post
you just don't know it yet, but you are ready.
This guy knows whats up

yes Ben..you do need a bumper..or two..

I want SC next i think..that and skids and CO2. top three mods as of now.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #18637
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
Tacomadude89's Tacoma Gallery
The flowmasters have chambers designed to make noise which ends up actually robbing performance... Infact a stock muffler would probably out perform them. If you do a search here you'll find that most people actually report that gas mileage decreased along with power with the use of a Flowmaster.

The Magnaflow Universal mufflers (the style of Magnaflow most Tacoma owners seem to run) are completely straight through and not designed to produce a certain sound using chambers and baffles, but rather to exit the exhaust through as quickly as possible. What you're getting is the true sound of the exhaust and not an artificially made sound (a lot of the time which can sound "ricey" on smaller engines) being made because of restrictive chambers designed simply to make it.

Take a look at the cutaways at the design differences...

Flowmaster

Magnaflow Universal
Old 08-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #18639
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
haha no i know. bumpers still work fine, and dont need replaced.

to go plate steel in the front means then i need a winch, and new offroad lights, and then new coils to handle the weight, and new coils, which means i need to gomid travel, which means i would need new UCAs too, then i would need to get a new setup up in the back to match the front, and then i would need new tires to handle the new capabilities of the truck and then i would need to regear to handle the bigger tires and the a supercharger to make sure that i can still pass on two lane.

so no im not ready to spend that money armor is a gateway mod.

right now my next maybe mods are slapping fresh paiint on the skid plates again, tint my front windows, and start swapping in LEDs

got to start at some point sheesh. Your making it sound like it all has to happen at once jesus lol

you don't HAVE to do most those things. New coils yes for a bumper but that wouldn't be that bad. You can also run extended CO without the UCAs you just wouldn't be getting the full use from them. You don't NEED a winch with a bumper or lights. Everything comes in time. But if you want to do anything in Moab more then what you did last year..bumper is gonna be nice..haha
Old 08-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #18640
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
Where is the re-gear or taco box on your list?
Re gear isn't on the list till 35s. After seeing Jons rig and after talking to him about it re gear isn't totally nessicary if you get a taco box. He kinda wishes he had just done that instead.

as of now list goes

Skids
CO2
SC

then either Taco box or front LT

then rear shock relocation

then hopefully 35s and lockers as well as regear to 4.88s.

thats a list for the next 5 years easy haha

Products Discussed in this Thread