Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

is an aussie locker drop in or do you have to adjust.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
SargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
SargeSlapnuts's Tacoma Gallery
is an aussie locker drop in or do you have to adjust.

i was curious if an aussie locker was a straight drop in mod or if i would end up adjust my backlash and such. i have the 8.4 rear end with 4.56 gears. non elocker obviously
Old 02-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Good question. I know that on Ford's 8.8 all you had to do was remove the spider gears and install the Aussie unit. Not sure on Toyota's axles though.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You shouldnt have to.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
I heard they were very easy to install. Go for it!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
i didnt see any for the 8.4 rear on their website? where are you buying one? im curious because they look pretty good
Old 02-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
SargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
i didnt see any for the 8.4 rear on their website? where are you buying one? im curious because they look pretty good
look up the locker for the landcruiser. it uses the same rear axle. they call it an 8" rear though. same thing as a 8.4"
Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeSlapnuts View Post
look up the locker for the landcruiser. it uses the same rear axle. they call it an 8" rear though. same thing as a 8.4"
good to know, thanks

have you looked at the powertrax lockers? Any benefits of the aussie over the lock-right or noslip
Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
i guess just the no-slip doesn't pop and make funny noises. the powertax is pretty much the same. im just gonna go with an aussie cause from what i have read it will perform the same as either of the powertrax offraod.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #12

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

just to be clear, their website shows the land cruiser rear as an 8.875 or 9.5" R.G.

the front is an 8" but will that work in the rear of our trucks?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Well technically the 8.4 is an 8" axle. Some info on why it is referred to a 8.4":

The 8.25/8.4, whatever is not. It is a 8" gear. The casting is better still. The carrier bearings are shimmed, rather than screw in adjusters. The ring gear has 12 bolts instead of 10. Also, the carrier bearing caps are connected with "girdles" and are cast as one piece. This diff I will simply call the late model v6. The pinion shaft is larger, the bearings are slightly lager and the casting is beefier than earlier versions. However, THE RING GEAR IS NO LARGER THAN EALIER 8" DIFFS!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=228681
Old 02-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #14

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Well technically the 8.4 is an 8" axle. Some info on why it is referred to a 8.4":

The 8.25/8.4, whatever is not. It is a 8" gear. The casting is better still. The carrier bearings are shimmed, rather than screw in adjusters. The ring gear has 12 bolts instead of 10. Also, the carrier bearing caps are connected with "girdles" and are cast as one piece. This diff I will simply call the late model v6. The pinion shaft is larger, the bearings are slightly lager and the casting is beefier than earlier versions. However, THE RING GEAR IS NO LARGER THAN EALIER 8" DIFFS!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=228681

seems like the the older 8" carrier is different though, so the spider gears/lunch box locker might be different...
Old 02-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
seems like the the older 8" carrier is different though, so the spider gears/lunch box locker might be different...
I didn't read too far into it since I don't have that axle. I just always thought the 8.4 axle had a 8.4 inch ring gear.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #17
KBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (DD-214), 3d Marine Division
Name: Kurt
KBToyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i was curious if an aussie locker was a straight drop in mod or if i would end up adjust my backlash and such. i have the 8.4 rear end with 4.56 gears. non elocker obviously
I think you need to mark and make sure you place the washers, shims and bearing caps on the correct sides or it will be off from original. Whatever came off the right side needs to go back on the right and same with the left.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #18
WRECKLESS for Life...
Wreckless_71 will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement: Reserve County Sheriff
Name: Justin
Wreckless_71's Tacoma Gallery
You don't have to remove the carrier with the lunch-box lockers. Therefore no adjustments with the shims or bearing caps...