1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hunting/High Idle

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Og Neon, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Feb 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    Og Neon

Og Neon [OP] Member

Member:
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    I have an 03 Taco with 80K miles and the V6 motor with a 5 spd.

Today it developed the strangest problem with a check engine light. I was driving down a back road doing about 75mph and came across a school zone so I abruptly let off the gas to coast down to the school zone speed in gear. When I went to get back on the gas I had NO throttle response. The engine was rev'ing to about 1700-2000 and the rpms would only go up as i downshifted but outside of that I had no throttle response. So i coasted off to the side of the road and tried to rev it again and no response. So i figured maybe the throttle cable came off. I popped the hood and everything was good and I even manually worked the throttle with still no response. At this point the only thing i had left to do was shut her down and see what happens. Turned it off then started it again and everything was working correctly again except my rpms wouldn't drop below 1500ish. Also when I come out of gear the idle hunts from about 1000 to 2100 until it finally settles to 1500. I then limped it home another 50miles. It seems to drive fine but a little down on power (or so it felt, but it could have been me babying it). Once home i looked it over and could not find any free or loose vacuum lines. I also turned on the AC and it brought the Rpms down to 1000 which is about normal. Next step is to go get the codes read. But from this general writeup can anyone give me a clue. I am very mechanically inclined and not afraid to figure it out...it just sucks working out in the elements when its single digits outside.

Maybe old girl is pissed because I am looking at some 2nd gen tacos :(.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
    james

2. Feb 11, 2011 at 6:17 AM
    fshams

fshams Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma V6 4x4 TRD/TX PRO - DCSB
    Hmmmm... Maybe the clutch?

3. Feb 11, 2011 at 6:36 AM
    trowlan1

trowlan1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    POS Chevy '03 Z-71
    285 75r16 BFG All Terrains, 15% Window Tint
    I had something similar happen with my Silverado when I stopped at a red light (multiple occasions). Once the light would turn green, I would push the throttle, but no response. The engine would rev, but the truck wouldn't move, then I would let off the gas, and try again, and it would take off. I took it to a transmission shop, because I thought transmission might be slipping. They finally diagnosed as possibly being related to the drive-by-wire. He said taking off the throttle body and cleaning everything out would probably fix the problem. (I never followed up on it, and it went away) Not sure if this helps. (Kinda funny note....my silverado is also an '03)

4. Feb 11, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    Og Neon

Og Neon [OP] Member

Member:
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    fshams, I don't think it is the clutch because it is not slipping and the rpms are steady in gear.

trowlan, I thought it could also be a drive by wire thing, but the taco has a cable system so it takes me back to the drawingboard. I am going to get the codes read today and see what that shows. thanks for the help guys, keep them coming.

5. Feb 11, 2011 at 9:15 AM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    It might be your throttle position sensor. I might be wrong but that is what it sounds like to me. I think mine is going out, as well. Sometimes mine doesn't want to idle and then sometimes it revs up to about 2000-2500 for no reason.

6. Feb 11, 2011 at 2:34 PM
    Og Neon

Og Neon [OP] Member

Member:
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Well I went to get the CEL codes read and there were none. So once I got home I decided to start tinkering, and well....I found the problem. There was a plastic that had been sucked up SOMEHOW???? It was partially wedged under the throttle plate not allowing it to close fully. I have no clue at all how this got in here. I am running the decklid mod...but the filter is in place and no room for a plastic lid to get around it. Either way it appears to be that all is normal again. Thanks for the help folks!

Products Discussed in

To Top