Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tearing into my '96

Old 02-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
dustinJ is on a distinguished road

Name: Dustin
dustinJ's Tacoma Gallery
Tearing into my '96

Basically a build I guess or small resto. This is a beaten to death oil field truck. It has a broken rear leaf and front drive shaft. For now I am going to replace the driveshaft with a cheapy from napa. I found a junkyard leaf spring for a 100 bucks, it will be temporary to make sure the truck can be dependable again. I am going to continue to use it in the field. It is running pretty rough right now. My mechanic said it could be the temperature sensor that tells the ECM how hot or cold the motor is to adjust the mix. Where is that located at and can I change it at my garage?
First up is a tune up
After I get it going and it runs good the mods can happen.
Bilstiens all the way around
New deavers 3 inch leaf springs and all associated hardware
16 inch cragar soft 8's
32 inch tires, ( undecided)
Fix some body damage and have it painted semi flat black, maybe. Depends if a better idea happens along. Fender flares and running boards are coming off too

Can I run a 2 inch spacer with the adjustable billies and 881 ome springs and set it at about 3 to 3.5 lift to match the 3 inch rear springs

Thanks guys

Pic
Old 02-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
dustinj, this should help with your first question...scroll down to "1995.5-1997 Toyota Tacoma FSM (2)(3)RZ-FE 5VZ-FE".

as to your second question, you might try posting the same in the suspension forum.

good luck man!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #3

dustinJ's Tacoma Gallery
hey thanks, that will help a bunch

Dustin
Old 02-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #4

dustinJ's Tacoma Gallery
Ok did the tb clean job and nada. Runs just the same. Took the fender flares off and cleaned the truck up. The 31 10.5 bfg's look good so next is the 15x8 crager soft 8's, new carpet and seat covers.

Front axle, leaf spring and alignment job and it should be back on the road. Then the fun part if it's does well.
Lift is gonna be bilstiens with eibach springs, and wheelers 5 leaf packs for the rear.
Should make a damn good little work truck.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #5

dustinJ's Tacoma Gallery
A pic with the flares gone

And one of the crap I'm getting off of the hood from 4 years of sitting
Old 02-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
I love that trailer, where did you get it? price? specs?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Dlead is a glorious beacon of lightDlead is a glorious beacon of lightDlead is a glorious beacon of lightDlead is a glorious beacon of lightDlead is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Daniel
Dlead's Tacoma Gallery
i want the fender flares how much?
Old 02-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #8

dustinJ's Tacoma Gallery
Hell I don't know. You'll probably pay more in shipping than what they're worth. Give me your addy and I'll check on shipping if you want.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #9

dustinJ's Tacoma Gallery
The trailer is 18ft dove tail with a cut out for putting straps on the rear end. Got it in oklahoma city. Bout 2500 I think. It's been a few years
Old 02-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Jealous of the trailer... haha. I need one badly.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #11

dustinJ's Tacoma Gallery
Hey dlead, I looked at the flares again. The rears are junk. The ends are broken off or cracked at the least. The fronts are ok. Let me know if you want some pics of em or not.