LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Yakima Rack Q117 Clip question

Old 02-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
Turp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Operations: Fire, Technical Rescue, EMS
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
Yakima Rack Q117 Clip question

I've been recycling parts and ebaying to put a rack together and now waiting on some new pads. I've used the q tower before but it clamped to sheet metal above the door moulding. It appears on the Tacoma the Q-clip fits over the door gutter moulding and between this and the door.

When in place and tightened, does the clip pull tight so it doesn't hit the door?

Does this deform the door gutter gasket over time if you leave it in place?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
ERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
ERIC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
I've been recycling parts and ebaying to put a rack together and now waiting on some new pads. I've used the q tower before but it clamped to sheet metal above the door moulding. It appears on the Tacoma the Q-clip fits over the door gutter moulding and between this and the door.

When in place and tightened, does the clip pull tight so it doesn't hit the door?

Does this deform the door gutter gasket over time if you leave it in place?

Thanks
it hits the door a little bit but doesnt harm anything. And for the gutters i dont know. I have only had mine on for a few months and never been taken off but I wouldnt think so.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
Turp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud of
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the information. I think I'll just leave them on like I always have. I like the looks of a rack on th etop and the convenience of not having to install and uninstall.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeSlapnuts View Post
dont mean to thread jack but im looking for a straight bolt on roof rack to mount on my bed topper. any sugestions??

Yakima and Thule make permanent fixed mounts.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
seanbcarolan is on a distinguished road
Name: Sean
seanbcarolan's Tacoma Gallery
I had to purchase new clips because my Qtowers where setup for my Accord. I was also worried if the door would be impacted by the clips but it looks to be pretty solid - but tighter than my Honda. I bought the Outdoorsman setup on the rear as well. First time using the rack will be this weekend. It all stands pretty high, have to squeeze to inside the garage.