Fan Bracket Free Fix!!! Must Read!!!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Banned
pilotj is on a distinguished road
Name: Jay
pilotj's Tacoma Gallery
Fan Bracket Free Fix!!! Must Read!!!

I have a 2001 Tacoma 3.4L and recently have been hearing bearing rumble near the waterpump. Truck has 210,000 miles on it. I listened to all parts with a screwdriver and found the fan bracket was rumbling like a bad bearing. The part at dealer cost is about $300. Checked online and found one for about $60. I went for the $60 part. After installing the new part, started the truck and the rumble was back with gusto!!! I could even feel the rough bearing with a screwdriver. So, I took off the new part, tapped it with a screwdriver and it went clunk. I tapped the old part with the screwdriver and it rang. The new part must be cast Chinese, including the bearing!!!
So here is the free fix:
I have a hypodermic needle with a zerk fitting for a grease gun. Took the needle and slipped it between the seal and shaft on the back side of the fan bracket and pumped 5-6 pumps of grease into the bearing. Installed the fan bracket and started the truck. No noise, took the screwdriver and listened to the fan bracket and all I could hear was hmmmmmmm. Just like a new bearing!!!
So, if you have your fan bracket off for any reason, at any mileage, grease the bearing and you will save hundreds!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work lol. Interesting.. Damn chinese!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Banned
pilotj's Tacoma Gallery
I knew better when I ordered the part online. At that price, cheap is CHEAP CHINESE CRAP!!!
At least they are taking the chinese part back and the factory part is like new again.
I LOVE MY TOYOTA!!!! 500,000 miles, here I come! Almost 1/2 way there...
Old 02-17-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
Fati Tacoma is a jewel in the roughFati Tacoma is a jewel in the roughFati Tacoma is a jewel in the rough
Fati Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
ok perhaps a dumb question but what do you mean you listened to it with a screwdriver? Do you just put it up against the part and the sound travels through the tool or what?
Old 02-17-2011, 04:09 AM   #6
Fati Tacoma is a jewel in the roughFati Tacoma is a jewel in the roughFati Tacoma is a jewel in the rough
Fati Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I like that trick. Thanks for the tip man. Glad you got it fixed cheap!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Banned
pilotj's Tacoma Gallery
500 miles since greasing the fan bracket.
Listening with the screwdriver, it still sounds like a new bearing!
Guess I'll grease it again in another 100,000 - 200,000 miles....
Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
NegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NegroTundra's Tacoma Gallery
You gotta pic of exactly where you put the grease?

Great fix btw. Mine has been calling crickets every since I bought it.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
Banned
pilotj's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't think about taking a pic when I had it off.

You need to remove the fan bracket first. Very easy, just slack the p/s and alt belts, remove the four nuts attaching the fan,
Remove the fan and pulleys,
Remove the 5 bolts attaching the fan bracket and remove the fan bracket,
On the back side of the fan bracket you will see the shaft protruding from the seal.
Carefully insert the grease needle between the shaft and the seal, then pump 5 or 6 pumps of grease behind the seal. This is a two person job, because you won't be able to get a good seal on the needle without two hands.
Be sure you have the grease gun needle that is like the one pictured.
After greasing, rotate the shaft, you should feel the resistance of tbe grease, if not, add more grease.
Then reinstall and your done!
Attached Thumbnails
Fan Bracket Free Fix!!!  Must Read!!!-img_20110226_100802.jpg  
Old 02-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
Banned
pilotj's Tacoma Gallery
The needle is available on Amazon.com. If you can't find one locally.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FM...8737020&sr=8-3

If you have any more questions, please post here. Otherwise please post your results here. I think this fix is a winner and just curious of your results.
Thanks,

Jay

Products Discussed in this Thread