Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Homemade Crank Pulley Tool

Old 02-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
BadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant future

Navy: Airframer->Construction Mech
Name: Wes
BadBrains's Tacoma Gallery
Homemade Crank Pulley Tool

Here's the tool I made for around $20-$25 instead of purchasing the Schley SP 64400 for $60-$80.

C-channel from the Depot, and 3/8" rod also from the Depot.

I had to chase out the holes on my pulley due to rust, other than that it worked like a charm when I recently did my T-belt/Water-pump.

Attached Thumbnails
Homemade Crank Pulley Tool-p2170003_1024x768.jpg   Homemade Crank Pulley Tool-p2170004_1024x768.jpg  
Old 02-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
sweet. i made one as well......looks like the one from schley.......but the damn holes i drilled for pins didnt line up worth a shit. now..if i dont use it...i just lay a prybar against the frame with a socket on the crank nut and bump the engine over...breaks her loose real fast.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I made one as well, but out of scrap so it was free. I just welded two pieces of 1/4" flat stock together to make 1/2" thick steel, drilled holes in it for the drill bits, torched a big hole in the middle for the socket, and welded about 3' of 1/2" x 1" flat stock to that for a handle. Worked perfect.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
BadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant future

That's how I broke it loose as well. I made the tool at the end when I was ready to put everything back together.

Stuck the tool on and rotated it until it stopped against the frame, then torqued the pulley bolt.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Clever white boy.
wired_af is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
wired_af's Tacoma Gallery
I made one too for my 2nd gen. This is the aftermath from torquing to 204ftlbs.

Obviously, I should have used a stronger bolt
Old 02-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

for anyone wanting to make their own, I used these blueprints and it came out perfect.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/
Old 02-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
Sierra Expeditions
Willman is on a distinguished road

Willman's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work!
Old 03-31-2011, 12:16 AM   #8
bwill808 is on a distinguished road
Name: bryan
bwill808's Tacoma Gallery
noticed ur in az or kailua????/?i just moved here from hawaii , i have no way to make a that tool , if ur near phenix if i could buy or borrow ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBrains View Post
Here's the tool I made for around $20-$25 instead of purchasing the Schley SP 64400 for $60-$80.

C-channel from the Depot, and 3/8" rod also from the Depot.

I had to chase out the holes on my pulley due to rust, other than that it worked like a charm when I recently did my T-belt/Water-pump.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #9

From Kailua, but live in Northern AZ now....however I'm currently out in CA for a couple more months.

Hopefully someone from the Phoenix area will see this and hook you up/ help you out.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
To be continued...
Gorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gorillazrus's Tacoma Gallery
Just me being lazy and I don't Wana crawl under my truck at the moment, but what is the length of the 3/8 rod from the base to the tip?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorillazrus View Post
Just me being lazy and I don't Wana crawl under my truck at the moment, but what is the length of the 3/8 rod from the base to the tip?
it doesn't matter, just make them around 4" to be safe.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #12
To be continued...
Gorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Ok thanks, haven't had a chance to look it over but wanted to start getting my metal together.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorillazrus View Post
Ok thanks, haven't had a chance to look it over but wanted to start getting my metal together.
They just need to engage in the holes in the crank pulley, the one I made just uses drill bits stuck through holes in the tool.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #14
To be continued...
Gotcha
Old 11-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #15

I'd measure them for you but the tool I made is in storage.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
Beluga is on a distinguished road
Beluga's Tacoma Gallery
Another technique that works is just screw in 2 bolts into the pulley at the same time so the pulley is level while the bolts push the pulley out as it hits the block. Pretty much the same way you take out rear drum cover with 2 bolts.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #17
TallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to behold

Army: FiSTers bring it fast and hard!
Name: Charles
TallTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
...i just lay a prybar against the frame with a socket on the crank nut and bump the engine over...breaks her loose real fast.
That's how I did it. It's amazing how much torque those starters are putting out.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #18
The Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud of
Name: Mark
The Raisin's Tacoma Gallery
I've done my water pump and timing belt twice now, both times i removed the crank pulley bolt with a pneumatic impact gun. It came right off both times.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raisin View Post
I've done my water pump and timing belt twice now, both times i removed the crank pulley bolt with a pneumatic impact gun. It came right off both times.
pulled the radiator out too?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #20
The Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud of
Name: Mark
The Raisin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
pulled the radiator out too?

Yes the radiator and the grill. So much easier to get it done that way. I just did the entire thing last Saturday, waterpump, t-belt and t-stat, pulleys and new t-belt tensioner as well. It took me and a buddy about 5 hours from start to finish.