Notices

1st gen tundra trd coilovers in 2002 tacoma pre-runner

Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
tpoore is on a distinguished road

Name: T
tpoore's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen tundra trd coilovers in 2002 tacoma pre-runner

hello,
I was wondering if any one has put the stock trd tundra coil overs in a 1st gen tacoma. My bro has the set off his truck and they are just sitting around. I would imagine that it would stiffen up the ride but not sure how it would affect ride hight. Any ideas would be great thanks - thoams
Old 02-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #2

tpoore's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to give it a shot this weekend, but before i try i thought i would see if others have had any luck with it.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpoore View Post
hello,
I was wondering if any one has put the stock trd tundra coil overs in a 1st gen tacoma. My bro has the set off his truck and they are just sitting around. I would imagine that it would stiffen up the ride but not sure how it would affect ride hight. Any ideas would be great thanks - thoams
are they the same diameter?
are they the same length?

they might be the same length, but stiffer, therefore they won't compress or sag under weight, and will give you some lift.
someone's gotta try it!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #4

tpoore's Tacoma Gallery
I will look into more closely this weekend and let you know what i find. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
a couple guys on CT tried that set up about 7 years ago...

they were all street queens as the ride was horrible according to a couple of them...

they bolt in just fine, but the spring rate and the length of the shock and spring assembly itself is longer than a tacoma, so it put a lot of stress on the lower arms...

supposedly, it rides ok for the first 10,000 miles, then you start to kick yourself for not investing in tacoma adjustable coilovers...
Old 02-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #7

tpoore's Tacoma Gallery
Hey thanks a ton for the info. I was kinda thinking that was case but not sure and they are free but i think i will hold off and buy the real thing. thanks.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #9

tpoore's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
a couple guys on CT tried that set up about 7 years ago...

they were all street queens as the ride was horrible according to a couple of them...

they bolt in just fine, but the spring rate and the length of the shock and spring assembly itself is longer than a tacoma, so it put a lot of stress on the lower arms...

supposedly, it rides ok for the first 10,000 miles, then you start to kick yourself for not investing in tacoma adjustable coilovers...

When you say that it puts a lot of stress on the lower arms is this a result of the lift or because of the stiff ride. I mostly drive on the street and when off roading it is mostly forest roads not true "pre runner" type driving. If i did the mod would i have to worry about the lower arms giving out. I have a three inch on my tundra "fab tech" and is that puting the same stress as the this would be on the tacoma. Hope this makes sence and thanks for the help.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
yah, its more a result of the lift... as the shock assembly on a tundra is longer, the space between the upper shock mount and the lower arm on the tacoma, is shorter than the tundra shock assembly's length...

even on streets, every speed bump and pothole will be jarring... the tundra, being heavier, may also have a different spring rate..