Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

valve cover gasket????!!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
tacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robbie
tacomaforlife's Tacoma Gallery
valve cover gasket????!!

went to check the oil today only to find out that its low and i looked around the engine and saw that the valve cover gasket seems to be leaking oil at the back of the engine has anyone replaced there valve cover gasket before? looks like its gonna be a pain in my ass!

o and im about to hit 180k
Old 02-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
spidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Dom
spidy3's Tacoma Gallery
its not bad just takes a little bit to get done.

If they are leaking that much you should def change them, mine as well put in new plugs too while your in there
Old 02-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Rashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rashnu's Tacoma Gallery
More time consuming than anything. The wiring harness on the drivers side is a PITA!!! You might want to try wrapping your harness in electrical tape when before moving it. This should keep the plastic guides from crumbling and falling into your valve train.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
I'm glad you posted this because I am having the same problem. My truck has around 212000 miles and I have noticed that it has started leaking oil from the valve covers. Hopefully it's not that big of a job. I may tear into it this weekend so I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Let it leak as long as its not drippin when your parked, Just keep and eye on your oil levels and you should be fine
Old 02-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Leaky valve cover gaskets (around the sides and back) seems to be a common problem for V6's. Just keep a good eye on your oil level untill you can replace it.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
mackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nice

Marines: Sgt UH/AH1 Mech HMLA-167
Name: william
mackattack07's Tacoma Gallery
be careful with the intake gaskets there pretty pricy
Old 03-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Well i got my new steering bushings put in this weekend. I guess I'll tackle the valve cover gaskets this weekend. I can't believe these things were $40.

Any helpful hints with putting these on?