1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trouble changing clutch. Advise please.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jose 94 6spd, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Feb 20, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    jose 94 6spd

jose 94 6spd [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    De
    Vehicle:
    tt supra
    Ok my dad has a 95 tacoma 2.7 4cyl. 4wd and im changing a clutch for him but it's not going as planned at all. I've done quite a few tranny swaps and motor swaps and builds. This is the first truck I've ever touched. Im usually messing with sports cars supra, 250, etc. so i have the both drive shafts off tranny mount starter and all the other bolts that bold the tranny to the motor. when i let the jack down i can see the tranny part from the motor up top but the bottom and sides are pretty much still stuck on good. I just have to take the dust cover or whatever you wanna call it off. i was jus trying to get it a lil loose but shes on there. pics and suggestions would be of great help. Thank you.

2. Feb 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
    try your request over at TTORA, they can probably give you more help there.

3. Feb 20, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    jvbutter

jvbutter Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    Ore-Gon
    silly question, you got the 2 tranny bolts at the top, next to the intake?? Typically I lower the rear of the tranny down and reach up with lonnnnggg extension. Starter has been removed??? the flywheel cover is not going to hold it in place, but will restrict you when you pull it out completely... we just did one on a 97 4x4.... my sons initial question was " why do we need a tranny jack"... he found out when we pulled it out.

4. Feb 20, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Did you get the dowel pins out (or whatever they are called)? When I did my '96 there were maybe 4 pins that I had to pound out before it would drop down.

5. Feb 21, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    jvbutter

jvbutter Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    Ore-Gon
    dowel pins??? there are 2 lineup pins on the face of the Bell housing... I dont recall any dowel pins...

6. Feb 21, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    They are dowel pins and typically called "locating pins".

OP, the pins are the hold up. It takes some shaking, jarring and four letter words but once it frees up it will slide right out.

7. Feb 21, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    jose 94 6spd

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    De
    Vehicle:
    tt supra
    Ok thanks. Im goin to pick up a pry bar set today. Idk from under the truck it looked like i would have so much more room but up by the bell housing it gets a lil tight. So yea i have the starter of i pulled the dust cover off even tho i was sure thats all it was. I cant see any more bolts towards the middle cause thats where its getting stuck at. The top comes off a lil but when i shake the tranny you can see the exhaust moving like crazy like the whold motor is shaking with it. I havent touched it yet today but i plan on lookin over it before it gets dark. Really appreciate the help so far tho.

8. Feb 24, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    jose 94 6spd

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    De
    Vehicle:
    tt supra
    Ok now im feeling like a newbie. the whole thing comes loose except for the one spot by the starter. The sarter bolt closer to the bottom. Rite under than theres a bump and the block but its not a bold or nothing but its stuck good rite n there. On the transmission its the same spot where the slave bolts up. All i can think of is having a buddy of mine come over so we can jus wiggle it back n fourth. im scared to break a motor mount tho. I was rocking the entire thing around my self an it wasnt trying to come. Is there a dowl pin there or somthin. I know all other bolts are out. Again thanks anyone that can help.

9. Feb 24, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    Most likely dowel pin, there are usually two on every tranny, one on each side.

Put the prybar between block and tranny then hit the prybar with big fucking hammer. It will go.

10. Feb 26, 2011 at 9:48 PM
    toyotadan98

toyotadan98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    wa
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OFFROAD 4X4 ACC
    make sure you have both starter bolts out one goes in from the front and the other is from the rear

Products Discussed in

To Top