1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do all 1st gen V6 have exhaust drone?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ywen, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Feb 21, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    ywen

ywen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Okay so I've always had this exhaust drone sounding noise from 62-65mph with the gas lightly applied and RPM just a touch over 2K... when the gas is applied, is when you'd hear this drone.. outside of that range, it gradually dies down. It also dies down immediately when I let go of the gas.

This is typical exhaust drone - I thought..

Then I greased all my driveshaft zerks, and this has tremendously decreased this drone, from initially after where I don't hear it at all to now where the drone is slowly coming back.

So my question is - is the sound from a failing U joint similar to an exhaust drone?

I've also checked the joints while underneath the truck and I didn't detect any obvious movements. The CB has about 1/16" play in every direction when I shaked it.

2. Feb 21, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    sick 3.4 tacoma

sick 3.4 tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    portland Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2003 double cab 4x4
    elite bumper, xrc8 winch, 12in sub, cb, flowmaster, deck plate mod, 3in lift.
    yeah mine does that also around there its just the exhaust drone i also have a flowmaster and i gets pretty loud around there

3. Feb 21, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    ywen

ywen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    But how does the act of greasing up the zerks stop this noise?

I think the most tellin description is when I let off the gas it immediately stops.. this tells me it can't be the drive shaft since it's still spinning. However I still can't escape the fact that noise went away after greasing..

4. Feb 21, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    malander

malander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    It's still spinning but you're not applying force to it by pressing the gas. That would be my only thought. Chances are if the grease helped you found your problem. When you push the peddle you are resisting the rpm drop in the driveshaft an putting more force on the u-joints/driveshaft

5. Feb 21, 2011 at 2:51 PM
    dmz1241

dmz1241 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    SE, Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold DC TRD
    Bilstein 5100's all around, Eibach coils, 2" shackles, Flowmaster 60 Series
    I have a cherry bomb on mine and it droans bad, but my stock exhaust was bad as well. mostly because of the gaping hole in it haha.

Products Discussed in

To Top