Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Adding 881's to Bilstein 5100's or DT Header?

View Poll Results: OME 881's or DT Header
Coils 10 83.33%
Header 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
Adding 881's to Bilstein 5100's or DT Header?

I already have Bilstein 5100's on all 4 corners of the truck and they do ride pretty good, but still a little rough on these WV roads (country roads is an understatement). I'm just wondering whether adding the OME 881 coils and setting the 5100's back to 0 will give me an improved ride quality that is worth the cost of the new coils and installation? I'm just looking for a softer ride, the billys are currently at about 2" of lift and thats all i need.

On the other hand, i have seen good dyno sheets of the DT header that LCE sells (dual cat w/EGR)

Its either a DT header or these coils, just looking for the better buy.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
Pingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to behold

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
My opinion is definitely the 881's... I don't know for a fact but from what I've read you'll have a better ride with the billys at 0... But either way you won't get a better ride if you keep it the way it is and get the header. It really boils down to whether you prefer a suspension upgrade or performance.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
add the coils and install them yourself.
not a bad project if you have a friend to help
Old 02-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

see i'm torn, b/c they will end up costing close to the same amount and i would like a better ride, but also this particular header has shown great gains. I know the header will obviously make a difference, i'm just wondering how much the coils will improve the ride over my current set up. It'd be perfect if there was someone on here who just had the 5100's and then put on the 881's
Old 02-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Id go with the headers.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
A pair of coils is only 160...
Old 02-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
A pair of coils is only 160...
true that, i was looking at the wrong thing on wheelers haha. Do you have to take apart the whole upper strut assembly to put in the new coils? I'm asking b/c this summer i wanted to put a small spacer in to level out the taco lean, but the guy i go to said he wouldn't be able to get the strut assembly bolts off to put in the spacer with longer bolts since the stock ones had rusted so much
Old 02-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaGus View Post
true that, i was looking at the wrong thing on wheelers haha. Do you have to take apart the whole upper strut assembly to put in the new coils? I'm asking b/c this summer i wanted to put a small spacer in to level out the taco lean, but the guy i go to said he wouldn't be able to get the strut assembly bolts off to put in the spacer with longer bolts since the stock ones had rusted so much
Damn rusted bolts...
well you could try soaking them in like pb blaster or something to get them off, but yes you would need to take the whole thing
off, if you don't want to assemble the coils to the shock then just have wheelers do it for sixty,
but if they assemble it replacing them will be super easy.
Or you could assemble them yourself, with a rented spring compressor it will take a lil longer.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Damn rusted bolts...
well you could try soaking them in like pb blaster or something to get them off, but yes you would need to take the whole thing
off, if you don't want to assemble the coils to the shock then just have wheelers do it for sixty,
but if they assemble it replacing them will be super easy.
Or you could assemble them yourself, with a rented spring compressor it will take a lil longer.
well i want to keep the 5100's that i already have to avoid another set of shocks when all i need is the coils
Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
Quote:
well i want to keep the 5100's that i already have to avoid another set of shocks when all i need is the coils
Then just do the second option.
Buy the coils, take the old ones of you current 5100's and put the OME coils back on and renting a compressor from autozone turns out to be free.
give them 50$ up front and then keep it for up to 3 months
and on return get 100% back!!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Then just do the second option.
Buy the coils, take the old ones of you current 5100's and put the OME coils back on and renting a compressor from autozone turns out to be free.
give them 50$ up front and then keep it for up to 3 months
and on return get 100% back!!
thanks for all the advice man. I emailed wheelers with a bunch of questions about the coils and the ride. Tacomaman06 had the same setup as i did (billy's at highest setting) and then put on the OME 881's and said the ride is too rough for certain roads. I'm looking for smoother not rougher so i'm still debating
Old 02-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
You'll like the 881s over your stock coils you just have to let them settle. I say go both though. Save up some because both would be nice additions, just do coils first
Old 02-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #14
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i'd go on with the header.

im not real crazy bout the 5100's coupled with the 881 coils.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
You'll like the 881s over your stock coils you just have to let them settle. I say go both though. Save up some because both would be nice additions, just do coils first
ya all i need is 2" of lift so the 881's should do it. I've just heard from some people that the 881's are still a little stiff and too stiff for the 5100's. The ride with the 5100's is fine on the highway and over large bumps, but i'm looking for a smoother ride on city/country roads with potholes, cracks, etc. as thats where the ride is stiff now and from some reviews, is really stiff with the 881's. Idk, i just can't see how the 881's with the 5100's not loaded down, wouldn't be an improvement over a loaded shock and 160k mile old coils
Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #16
Pingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to behold

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
Why aren't you real crazy about the set up? Seems like a lot of people run it and are pretty happy with it. Just curious because I also will be shopping for suspension soon.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #17
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
ya all i need is 2" of lift so the 881's should do it. I've just heard from some people that the 881's are still a little stiff and too stiff for the 5100's. The ride with the 5100's is fine on the highway and over large bumps, but i'm looking for a smoother ride on city/country roads with potholes, cracks, etc. as thats where the ride is stiff now and from some reviews, is really stiff with the 881's. Idk, i just can't see how the 881's with the 5100's not loaded down, wouldn't be an improvement over a loaded shock and 160k mile old coils
go for the coils then.......you may like the setup alot better than i do man. you may get 2.5 inches from it tho....seeing as i got 2 inches on my dc v6 when i first put it on. its settled maybe a 1/4 inch in close to 20k.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingo View Post
Why aren't you real crazy about the set up? Seems like a lot of people run it and are pretty happy with it. Just curious because I also will be shopping for suspension soon.
im just not real crazy about the ride after you put some miles on it. it was sweet at first.......but the 5100's seem to stiffen up the more miles you put on them.