Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

6 hours labor to replace oil pan gasket????

Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
6 hours labor to replace oil pan gasket????

I think my oil pan gasket is leaking so I took it to my trusted local mechanic (not the STEALERSHIP) and they said it was 6 hours labor to replace the oil pan gasket.
IS THAT RIGHT?
Can someone tell me if it does indeed take 6 hours to replace the oil pan gasket? I can't believe it would be that hard to do. Anyone else ever tried to replace the oil pan gasket?
Its a 2.7 4X4 tacoma.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds a bit excessive, but these labor hours are typically set in stone and are referenced from a book. However, I would still get a second opinion as well as compare labor rates.

I'm not 100% sure, but it should be nothing more than draining the oil, removing the pan, scraping off the old gasket, replacing gasket, re-bolt the pan, refill w/ oil. Very similar to an auto trans fluid change, which only takes me about 2 hours on my wifes Xterra.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thats exactly what I thought. I have replaced several transmission pan gaskets in various vehicles. No biggie.
I referenced the Chiltons manual and it said that you had to remove the front differential. It looks to me like the pan will come down without removing the differential.
Anyone ever had to remove the differential in order to remove the oil pan?
Old 02-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
dont pay
Old 02-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
Three Percenter
SampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Steve
SampleFool's Tacoma Gallery
Dude do that shit your self man it is crazy how much the "book" says, I would do it for half the price they charge you man. Oil pan is not that hard and maybe you will have to take a support bracket off I think. If u need help let me know, I live in Fayetteville man thats crazy talk.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
According to Mitchell On Demand it's 5.0 hours for a 4cyl 4x4 or 5.4 hours for 6cyl 4x4. So they may just be rounding the hours up to accomodate for any extra time or mishaps.

Mitchell is what we use at the shop I work at to determine labor hours.

Here's the directions from mitchell on how to remove the oil pan on a V6 4x4

1.Disconnect negative battery cable. Raise and support vehicle. Drain engine oil and front differential fluid. Front differential assembly must be removed for oil pan removal.

2.Remove lower engine covers for access to front differential and engine. Remove front axle shafts. See AXLE SHAFTS - 4WD FRONT article under DRIVE AXLES section.

3.Place references marks on drive shaft flange at front differential and transfer case for reassembly reference. Remove drive shaft flange bolts/nuts at transfer case and front differential. Remove front drive shaft.

4.Disconnect necessary electrical connectors, hoses and tubes for removal of front differential. Support front differential with transmission jack. Remove front differential rear mount nut and front differential mount bolts. See Fig. 28 . Lower front differential from vehicle.

5.On A/T models, remove oil cooler line as necessary to access oil pan. On all models, remove bolts and stiffener plate (if equipped). Stiffener plate is bolted on rear corner of cylinder block and front of transmission.

6.Remove bolts and flywheel housing cover. Remove bolts/nuts and oil pan. Remove bolts/nuts, oil pump pick-up tube with gasket and oil pan baffle plate from cylinder block (if necessary).
Old 02-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #7

I keep looking at the Toyota Service Manual and I can not believe that Toyota would design an oil pan that would require the front differential to be removed so the oil pan can come off.
I have looked at it on my vehicle and it is tight but I think the pan just might be able to be dropped down without removing the front differential.
Removing the front differential must be why they came up with 6 hours. I could see that being a 6 hour job.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Wait a second-you said it was your local TRUSTED mechanic,right? So you don't trust him?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It's always good to do research anyway. As a mechanic I know that the book isn't always right, but it's what we go by. There are plenty of jobs that pay 6 hours that I can do in 2 or 2.5. But that's because I know how to do it and have done it sooo many times. You're not always paying just for the time it takes, but you're paying for the knowledge your mechanic has.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
Demon Taco will become famous soon enough

Name: Robert
Demon Taco's Tacoma Gallery
what about lifting the engine up a little to get the clearance you need?would that be possible.I had to do this when removing the oil pan on an f250 with a double sump pan.just another thought.just because the book says it,it doesn't mean its the only way.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I could be wrong but I'm almost positive I remember my service advisor at a dealership in Austin telling me Toyota doesn't use gaskets on the oil pan they only use a sealant. So they basically remove the oil pan and scrape off the old stuff and reseal it. I just had mine done under warranty as a preventive maintenance because apparently it's pretty common amongst Tacomas.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
never trust a mechanic
Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGM View Post
never trust a mechanic

This ^^^^
Old 02-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #15

My mechanic (who I trust) told me to go home, clean up all the oil and make sure that the oil pan was the problem.
If I understood him correctly he said that it also could be the rear main seal leaking and spraying over the oil pan making it look like the oil pan is leaking.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdracing5 View Post
My mechanic (who I trust) told me to go home, clean up all the oil and make sure that the oil pan was the problem.
If I understood him correctly he said that it also could be the rear main seal leaking and spraying over the oil pan making it look like the oil pan is leaking.

Sounds like a good way to go. You may also want to add flourescent dye to the oil so he can check it with a blacklight. That makes it way easier to find leaks.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #17
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Check your oil pressure sensor. I have a 2000 3.4 v6 that was leaking oil I understand you have a 4 cyclinder but still has to have a sensor for oil pressure. Mine was leaking oil pretty bad I had oil all over everything on the bottom of my truck. I too thought it was the oil pan turns out it wasn't I checked the sensor $40 from Toyota replaced it in 15 minutes on a life good too go not leaking any now just my $.02
Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #18
kumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud of
kumaWRX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGM View Post
never trust a mechanic
Wow, it still baffles me how some people can be so ignorant....