LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Does anyone know why Tacomas and FJs...

Old 02-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
spidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Dom
spidy3's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know why Tacomas and FJs...

Anyone know why just the manual Tacomas and FJs have the clutch cancel switch?

I just found out, just wondering if anyone else does
Old 02-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Is is there for offroad situations. Lets say you are on a steep incline and you stall. If you push the clutch to start you can roll back into some trouble. You push the button so you can start without having to push the clutch.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
hetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nice
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
if your clutch fails, you can start the vehicle in gear and shift clutchless to get home.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Is is there for offroad situations. Lets say you are on a steep incline and you stall. If you push the clutch to start you can roll back into some trouble. You push the button so you can start without having to push the clutch.
x2
Old 02-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy3 View Post
I just found out, just wondering if anyone else does
That's a pretty clever gambit. By using this technique, you immediately got the right answer to your question on the very first reply - as opposed to the usual litany of five or six posts telling you to search, rtfm, etc... before someone grudgingly coughs up the answer.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
It's alright...They know me here
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
if your clutch fails, you can start the vehicle in gear and shift clutchless to get home.
The validity of your comment is questionable.

The clutch start cancel switch does not replace clutch function. All this switch does is bypass the requirement of the pedal being fully depressed to be able to start the engine. You've always been able to drive home not using a clutch, whether you use this button or not, though I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
It's alright...They know me here
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
or just step on the brake pedal.
^^^Would you use your left foot or your right foot to step on the brake?

In those circumstances, with a manual trans, on a steep incline, and having to start the engine while you hold the truck in place, you have three pedals to deal with.

The clutch start cancel switch allows you to use your left foot for the brake and your right foot for the accelerator pedal.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
I am no trying to be a wize ass, but I don't pump the gas in my fuel injected truck to start it. I also have a parking brake that needs no foot on it at all to hold my truck still. I just think it makes more sense for it to let one start the truck without having to get in the truck. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't need it to help start while being on a steep hill is all.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
glad you got the answer.

i wouldnt have told him to search; i would have told him to post in the appropriate forum.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know how it works? I have always wondered?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
I am no trying to be a wize ass, but I don't pump the gas in my fuel injected truck to start it. I also have a parking brake that needs no foot on it at all to hold my truck still. I just think it makes more sense for it to let one start the truck without having to get in the truck. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't need it to help start while being on a steep hill is all.
In some situations rolling back could mean you will flip onto your lid when offroad. It isn't just because it is steep.

Really I think everyone with a manual transmission should be in their vehicle when they start it because I have seen too idiots start in gear only to hit the car in front of them.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #15
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch Cargo?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #16
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
In some situations rolling back could mean you will flip onto your lid when offroad. It isn't just because it is steep.

Really I think everyone with a manual transmission should be in their vehicle when they start it because I have seen too idiots start in gear only to hit the car in front of them.
fair enough. Neutral safety switch solves that problem. I still don't get the hill start thing, but ,,ok
Old 02-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #17
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nik
tc98tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
you jsut gotta be quick and good at using manual trans offroadin
just make sure no ones behind you lol
i love the clutch cancel button !!!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #18
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I don't get what some of you are talking about! You cant start the truck in gear with the clutch out! You can use it to crawl up a hill but you will likely blow the starter, and will not actually start. I did it once with an older car.
I use it to start the truck quick from outside the truck. Yes people do jump thier trucks into sh#t doing it but you have to forget to put the break on and forget to take it out of gear, so to those people, you might want to get an auto. Anyways, everyone I know who drives stick uses the ebrake every time they park. Too easy to nock it out of gear.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #19

Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
I can start the truck with my left foot on the clutch, my right foot on the brake. I won't roll back or forward now while I start the truck. When it's started, I can switch my right foot to the gas pedal while I ease the clutch pedal out, in gear of course, to get the truck moving again after a stall (simple hill start). I hope this clears up the issue of not needing it to be able to start the truck on an incline.(steep or not) Fuel injected cars and trucks don't require pumping of the gas pedal to start UNLESS you already pumped it and flooded it. Then you hold the pedal down to the floor until it starts to clear the flood. I can do that with my foot on the gas and another on the clutch with my e-brake engaged, without rolling. What am I missing here?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #20
Banned
And again it is completely different when you are offroad. Lets say you are inches away from a cliff and rolling back means you will meet your maker. You push the switch and turn the key without pushing the clutch. The truck rolls forward and the engine starts as you roll away from the cliff. You get home and you bang your wife or gf or both. Yes you can do it without the fancy button but one wrong move and you are over the cliff.