Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Adding IPod to factory stereo

Old 02-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
john5909 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
john5909's Tacoma Gallery
Adding IPod to factory stereo

I just found a used 95 Tacoma 4x4 with less than 70,000 miles, stoked! I'd like to keep the factory CD player intact (I don't want to deal with replacing an aftermarket stereo every year, plus they look stupid). Of course I don't use CD's anymore and would like to play my IPod on the existing factory unit. Is there any way to pirate a signal from my IPod to the stereo, or do they come with RCA jacks in the rear? Adding an adaptive wiring harness? I'm willing to get creative with solving this problem. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Not sure what is out there for a 95 stereo.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
that could be a pickle. those older models weren't really set up to have any auxiliary inputs. hell they figured they were spoiling you with the cd player. . . i would just go to walmart and get one for cheap and enjoy the free install. you could do the FM transmitter, but the sound quality's trash. if it's got a tape player go to Best Buy and just rock the tape cassette-3.5 mm jack. thats what i did with my jeep for years and it wasn't too bad.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
tarheelfan_08's Tacoma Gallery
Does it have a cassette player? My 96 has one.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a new head unit with an AUX port...
Old 02-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
Buy a new head unit with an AUX port...
X2. They are so easy to install.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
tarheelfan_08's Tacoma Gallery
Well if he has a cassette player he can get one of those tape decks that has a cord that hooks to his ipod!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelfan_08 View Post
Well if he has a cassette player he can get one of those tape decks that has a cord that hooks to his ipod!
Haha. My mom had a 70something Chrysler Cordoba and to get a CD player to work in there we had the 8 track to cassette adapter then we had the cassette to cd player adapter in the 8 track adapter. LOL.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Haha. My mom had a 70something Chrysler Cordoba and to get a CD player to work in there we had the 8 track to cassette adapter then we had the cassette to cd player adapter in the 8 track adapter. LOL.
now that is legite!!! ive cut out part of the front cover of the tape player on a regular cd player in my bathroom so i could listen to my ipod in the shower lol.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
now that is legite!!! ive cut out part of the front cover of the tape player on a regular cd player in my bathroom so i could listen to my ipod in the shower lol.
I have done that one but instead I just broke the tray off and tapped the cassette adapter in place.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Flash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to behold
Army: CPT MI 35D
Flash1034's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowyer2002 View Post
I installed a Scion 1808 from e-bay for about $50 - CD and IPOD capability.
Is the 1808 a direct bolt in, plug in replacement?

Thanks,

Flash
Old 02-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by john5909 View Post
I just found a used 95 Tacoma 4x4 with less than 70,000 miles, stoked! I'd like to keep the factory CD player intact (I don't want to deal with replacing an aftermarket stereo every year, plus they look stupid). Of course I don't use CD's anymore and would like to play my IPod on the existing factory unit. Is there any way to pirate a signal from my IPod to the stereo, or do they come with RCA jacks in the rear? Adding an adaptive wiring harness? I'm willing to get creative with solving this problem. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
You can always get an FM modulator (not the greatest sound quality but lightyears ahead of an FM transmittor)

Or you can just spend $3 and get better sound quality than either of those. How I added an iPod to my '98:

Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
jwicker is on a distinguished road
jwicker's Tacoma Gallery
I am pretty sure there are in-line FM modulators aavailable too.
IIRC, they plug into the antenna plug on the stereo and the factory antenna plug into that.
They are supposed to offer better reception/quality than the thru-the-air FM modulators.

FYI - I have a thru-the-air FM modulator from Griffin and it works good enough for me. $35 a few years ago. Won't charge the ipod, but is wireless.

A quick Google search found this:
http://www.shipsound.com/USA-SPEC-PA...er_p_7279.html
Old 02-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
01 tacoma is on a distinguished road
01 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I just got the cassette to ipod adapter. The sound quality is pretty good. I'd like to wire up a head unit with an aux port but I just don't have the money for that right now.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #16
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwicker View Post
I am pretty sure there are in-line FM modulators aavailable too.
IIRC, they plug into the antenna plug on the stereo and the factory antenna plug into that.
They are supposed to offer better reception/quality than the thru-the-air FM modulators.

FYI - I have a thru-the-air FM modulator from Griffin and it works good enough for me. $35 a few years ago. Won't charge the ipod, but is wireless.

A quick Google search found this:
http://www.shipsound.com/USA-SPEC-PA...er_p_7279.html
I have an FM modulator in my legacy. Like I said, light years ahead of the transmittor in terms of signal
Old 02-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #17
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
You can always get an FM modulator (not the greatest sound quality but lightyears ahead of an FM transmittor)

Or you can just spend $3 and get better sound quality than either of those. How I added an iPod to my '98:

I got one and it would not play in the tape deck, just kept auto reversing....
Old 02-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #18
geoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the rough

geoff06's Tacoma Gallery
i'd recommend just getting a new head unit with an AUX input, or even a new unit with ipod capability/interface (i've seen some nice ones that weren't too fancy). i think the best thing about getting a good new unit is how much EQ adjustment you can dial in. i don't know what kinda sound quality a stock 95 unit puts out, but you would probably be a lot happier with an aftermarket/newer one
Old 02-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #19
john5909 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
john5909's Tacoma Gallery
wow these forums are great. Thanks for the input, after some deliberation I've decided to just purchase a new deck...why not?
Old 02-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5909 View Post
wow these forums are great. Thanks for the input, after some deliberation I've decided to just purchase a new deck...why not?
Atta boy.

Double din? Single din?

Speak to me, Goose.