Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

rear o2 sensor - DONE!

Old 02-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
always tinkering
bowyer2002 is a jewel in the roughbowyer2002 is a jewel in the roughbowyer2002 is a jewel in the roughbowyer2002 is a jewel in the rough

bowyer2002's Tacoma Gallery
rear o2 sensor - DONE!

I just finished installing my rear o2 sensor at 167K! (did the front at 165K)
CEL came back on .
Living in the Missouri salt belt, the nuts were corroded down from 13mm to about 12.5mm! Unwrenchable with standard tools.

I found out some things that may help others.

When you consider doing this, start spraying these nuts and studs with a penetrating lube (PB Blaster, Liquid wrench, etc.) for a couple of days.

1. Buy the sensor on line - got mine for about 60% of what the auto parts store wanted. Denso #234-4189 for the 3.4L v-6 auto.
2. Have an angle grinder handy (or Dremel) for cutting off the 'shield' around the o2 sensor. AND (if necessary) to grind on the frozen nuts.
3. I bought the Craftsman Bolt Out kit - and it was the the ticket to FINALLY get the frozen, rusted, corroded, @#%* nuts off!
4. The replacement nuts are M8 X 1.25mm
5. The connector is located under the passenger seat thru a gromet in the floor.
6. Plug in the connector, running the male end thru the floorboard to the female end under the passenger seat.
7. Install the gasket and new sensor into the exhaust, use anti-sieze compound on the studs and install the new 13mm nuts.
8. by doing this myself I saved about $100 after buying the tool Bolt Out Kit.
9. enjoy the CEL not being on anymore, increased MPG, satisifaction, and if you're old enough, maybe a beer!

I will tack weld on another shield that I will fab out of expanded metal so the water, mud, salt, etc. will not collect around the new sensor like the original shield allowed.
Attached Thumbnails
rear o2 sensor - DONE!-1-sensor.jpg   rear o2 sensor - DONE!-1-sensro-shield-removal.jpg   rear o2 sensor - DONE!-2-sensor-shield-remaval.jpg   rear o2 sensor - DONE!-1-corroded-nuts.jpg   rear o2 sensor - DONE!-1-ground-nuts.jpg  

rear o2 sensor - DONE!-1-sensor-plug-location.jpg  
Old 02-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
Noob
subtleshift will become famous soon enoughsubtleshift will become famous soon enough

Name: Dallas
subtleshift's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to subtleshift
great info!

does anyone know if you can have partially bad o2 sensors...I dont have a cel but was basically wondering if I did replace them would I get better mpg, or is it a on/off-works or doesnt work type thing?
Old 02-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
All that rust is a pain in the ass. I got so pissed I just took my angle grinder with a cutting wheel and chopped up a good 8" section and to get a better angle on the bolts...but then I got really pissed and just took the grinder to the wires haha
Old 02-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man GREAT info! This is something on my to-do list for the Spring.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtleshift View Post
great info!

does anyone know if you can have partially bad o2 sensors...I dont have a cel but was basically wondering if I did replace them would I get better mpg, or is it a on/off-works or doesnt work type thing?
the thing to do would be to remove them and clean them up with an electrical contact cleaner in a spraycan, let them dry and reinstall them,you can also do this to your MAF(mass air flow sensor) you just need to be careful.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
Noob
subtleshift will become famous soon enoughsubtleshift will become famous soon enough

cool...

I acctually just got a coupon from the toyota dealership and their was an ad on the front that said worn o2 sensors can cause a 3.0 mpg decrease...

prolly just marketing but I'm sure their is a hint of truth their, I might just have to take a day and see if I can't get those out w/o cutting and grinding
Old 02-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #8
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
nice, i just replaced an O2 sensor yesterday too, the one before the cat.

i'm so glad i didnt have to deal w/ the rust issues you had. thank you so-cal
Old 02-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #9
always tinkering
bowyer2002 is a jewel in the roughbowyer2002 is a jewel in the roughbowyer2002 is a jewel in the roughbowyer2002 is a jewel in the rough

Nelson18matt -
cool!
the front one took me about 20-30 min, the rear one - downstream of cat, was a PITA, mostly time consuming & head scratching on how to approach the corroded nuts.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #10
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowyer2002 View Post
Nelson18matt -
cool!
the front one took me about 20-30 min, the rear one - downstream of cat, was a PITA, mostly time consuming & head scratching on how to approach the corroded nuts.
yeah man, the front on was a piece of cake

i didnt wait till after i was done to start drinking
Old 02-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #11
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up hope I have another truck before I have to replace mine. I will save your write up.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
i definitly have to replace both 02 sensor. still scratching head on how to do it either but thank you for your write up.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #13
Noob

Well if I grind off the o2 sensor heatshield I'm pretty sure I'm gonna rip off all the heatshields attached to the body above the exhaust...stupid thing are always rattling!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #14
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtleshift View Post
cool...

I acctually just got a coupon from the toyota dealership and their was an ad on the front that said worn o2 sensors can cause a 3.0 mpg decrease...

prolly just marketing but I'm sure their is a hint of truth their, I might just have to take a day and see if I can't get those out w/o cutting and grinding
this is true
Old 02-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
always tinkering

with gas, around here just hitting $3.25/gal for 87 octane, ANY extra mileage is appreciated!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #16
Noob

in socal gas is like $3.90...
Old 03-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #17
always tinkering

UPDATE -
FWIW - it took me about 70 miles of driving for the CEL to turn itself off.
I was getting worried that I hadn't totally fixed the problem and my cat$ were bad.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #18
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Im guessing there is no way to do this without grinding the shield off.... The cutting wouldnt be the issue, its the welding. How else can I re-attach the shield if I dont have a welder?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #19
always tinkering

StAndrew -
There are guys that have left the shield off without any problems.
Before I had a welder, I had the local muffler shop weld some things like this (shield) for me - it was reasonable $.
This may be an option for you too.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #20
vantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nice
vantaco's Tacoma Gallery
do you have a link where you ordered the sensor from?

i'm getting terrible milage and i'm thinking my front o2 is the problem

no cel's but i get about 15.5/16 mpg