Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

normal operating temperature

Old 03-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #21
Forever learning...
tacopyro is on a distinguished road

tacopyro's Tacoma Gallery
Hi dustinclm,

I have a 2000 Prerunner 2.7L. I also have a scanguage and i watched it for 2 years settling between 198 - 202F. even on winters. On real hot days even as high as 207F. The needle would be just at the exact middle or a hair below. Recently, my head gasket blew while coming off the fwy and i had the cylinder head inspected and valves adjusted at the same time.

Since then, after replacing the fluid from green to red. (toyota long life?) My temps have been at 190 to 195F. I did replace my Thermostat too. After all that, I figure that once my temps get to 202F, its time to change the Thermostat and replace my Coolant so i can avert blown headgaskets.

the one good thing is i gained 2mpg from this event...

Hope that helps.

CK
Old 03-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #22
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dustinclm's Tacoma Gallery
I just replaced a valve cover and changed radiator fluid and it's stil right in the same spot. I don't think it's running hot bc it's always been like this. Sooner it later I'll buy a scanguage and get an exact temp. Is ther any other way to get the temp?
Old 03-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #23
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
It really depends on what temp of tstat you have in your rig... most common is 190-195 although I ran a 165 when I was in SoCal.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #24
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
3400 w/ 97k.. its been 195 all winter..
Old 03-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #25
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinclm View Post
I just replaced a valve cover and changed radiator fluid and it's stil right in the same spot. I don't think it's running hot bc it's always been like this. Sooner it later I'll buy a scanguage and get an exact temp. Is ther any other way to get the temp?
I've not used one but I've read that an Ultra Gauge will also read the water temps (among other things). I think it is less expensive that the SG too.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #26
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dustinclm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
I've not used one but I've read that an Ultra Gauge will also read the water temps (among other things). I think it is less expensive that the SG too.
thanks, ill look into it when i stop buying other things for my truck and rifle....damn mods are running me broke haha
Old 03-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #27
pt law is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
pt law's Tacoma Gallery
Hey. So I took my truck to my local mechanic who has diagnostic equipment and he checked the coolant temp. I had driven it there to get it to running temperature and left it running while he checked the temp.

This is what 190 looks like in my truck:
Old 10-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #28
baggedcrewcoma is on a distinguished road
baggedcrewcoma's Tacoma Gallery
I just got a electric fan that turns on at 185 would this be ok or do I need a diff thurmostat?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #29
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
ScanGauge shows 194-204
Old 10-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #30
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggedcrewcoma View Post
I just got a electric fan that turns on at 185 would this be ok or do I need a diff thurmostat?
How do you know the fan turns on a 185*? Is that what is written in the documentation or is that the actual temp it turns on at?

Do you have an ultragauge or a scangauge or are you using the dash gauge?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #31
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinclm View Post
The app for android phones and tablets called "torque pro". It cost $5 bucks, then go to Amazon and buy the Elm 327 bluetooth adabter for $25. For 30 bucks you have way more info then the SGII can give you. It plugs into your OBDII port and wirelessly send data to your phone or tablet.

I have both, the SGII and the Torque app. I like Torque a little bit better. Torque is pretty damn good for only 30 bucks. They have a free version, but don't waste your time. Just buy the paid version.

KO
Old 10-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #32
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
My ultra gauge shows that it usually stays around 192. The highest I've seen it is 198.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #33
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Mine looks like the pic. I made a thread about this a couple years ago and the general consensus was that its normal. I think the issue is not the actual temperature, but a slightly inaccurate (and inconsistent amongst tacomas) needle.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #34
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The gauge apparently is just a three position indicator: cold, normal and hot.

What Toyota should've done is replace the gauge with two idiot lights like Subaru did with the Impreza: blue light = cold, red light = hot, no light = normal.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #35
baggedcrewcoma is on a distinguished road
baggedcrewcoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
How do you know the fan turns on a 185*? Is that what is written in the documentation or is that the actual temp it turns on at?

Do you have an ultragauge or a scangauge or are you using the dash gauge?
Yea that's what is says on the package for the thurmostat I got w the electric fan.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #36
Toyota4x46921 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Toyota4x46921's Tacoma Gallery
I just switched my thermostat from the little valve thing from 12 o clock to 6 o clock. Went from 202 to 188 with scanguage....my guage looks like the pic also.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #38
2k4Taco will become famous soon enough2k4Taco will become famous soon enough

Navy: PO2 USN
Name: Swanny
2k4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimDigg View Post
This has been my temp since I bought my truck.

Slim, whats that A/T P and A/T Oil Temp indicators? I don't have those on my truck... Auto Transmission oil temp?
Old 10-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #40
grovestreet is on a distinguished road
grovestreet's Tacoma Gallery
it's 80~81C on my truck
it's so steady that I set the ultragauge to send an alarm at 85C

it's a 2004 2.4L