Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

normal operating temperature

Old 02-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dustinclm's Tacoma Gallery
normal operating temperature

just curious so i thought i'd ask, on my 2001 1st gen the thermostat doesnt have any numbers, i was just wondering what the optimal temperature range would be? the temp needle is usually a hair above half way which is about the 700rpm marker...i dont think anything is wrong but just wanted to know a number since i just flushed the radiator system today which really needed it
Old 02-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
when I had my scangauge, I would watch the water temp ## go up and settle around 175-185 degrees. That would show on the analog gauge the needle at the half way mark.

In the summer sometimes, it would spike to around 190-192.

In the winter, the needle wouldn't even start moving until the truck reach around 125. Not sure if this helps or not.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
ibengineer will become famous soon enoughibengineer will become famous soon enough
ibengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinclm View Post
just curious so i thought i'd ask, on my 2001 1st gen the thermostat doesnt have any numbers, i was just wondering what the optimal temperature range would be? the temp needle is usually a hair above half way which is about the 700rpm marker...i dont think anything is wrong but just wanted to know a number since i just flushed the radiator system today which really needed it
this is exactly where mine sits. Its funny because it gets there so fast and stays there no matter what the temp is outside (from 30 degrees to 110).
Old 02-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
mine gets to 190-200 water temp within 2 miles
Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yeah mine will get to its usual spot pretty quick and stay there no matter the temp outside and no matter how hard ive pushed the truck it never got any hotter but i was just wondering the number it usually stays around. thanks gys
Old 02-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
Noob
subtleshift will become famous soon enoughsubtleshift will become famous soon enough

Name: Dallas
subtleshift's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to subtleshift
I think there was a thread about this a while back...

anyway general consensus is a hair above the halfway mark is what most taco owners see...

as far as exact temp...I guess these scangauge guys are more dialed in! (can't wait till I can get mine!)
Old 02-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
191-197 here
Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
pt law is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
pt law's Tacoma Gallery
I do not have the actual temp but here is what mine looks like at running temp. It goes there and never moves.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt law View Post
I do not have the actual temp but here is what mine looks like at running temp. It goes there and never moves.

a little hot. I'd guess around 215* or so.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #12
pt law's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
Yeah, a little higher than mine too. Probably OK for northern climes but might pose a problem when wheelin on a 100* day.
I do not mean to hijack the thread, but can someone recommend where to start if this is running a little hot (see pic in above thread). I checked my radiator fluid (it is the toyota factory long life pink stuff that you change at 100K and my truck has 85K) and it is not eating fluid. I also checked my hoses and radiator and cannot find any leaks. The top hose does feel quite hot coming out of the block but the bottom hose is cold. Faulty temp gauge? Radiator clog so get a cleaning or new radiator? Change the fluid out?

Second, the top of the radiator feels quite hot along the entire top plastic surface from left where the hose comes in to the right side where the cap is. Is that normal?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #13

Quote:
this is where my guage sits and has always been since i have had the truck. it has never been higher than this or much, if any, lower and i havent had any over heating problems and i have run this thing pretty hard mud riding on the farm so id safely say this is normal.
i flushed my radiator system over the weekend and the needle is still right there
Old 03-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #14
pt law's Tacoma Gallery
The first pic is from another thread on this site. So I am getting people saying that it should like the first pic below and others saying it looks like my pic, the second pic below. What is normal?

[/QUOTE]

Old 03-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #15
Duck Killing Machine
Siebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CJ
Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
My 2RZ runs 188-190 usually. In winter (well San Diegos winter) I run 184-186 without the fans on.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #16

Quote:
The first pic is from another thread on this site. So I am getting people saying that it should like the first pic below and others saying it looks like my pic, the second pic below. What is normal?
ill try and remember to get a picture of mine tomorrow
Old 03-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #17

this is where im at all day, 30* outside, 100* outside, pulling my boat or mud ridding...
Old 03-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #18
Resident MMA Fanatic
SlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlimDigg's Tacoma Gallery
This has been my temp since I bought my truck.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #20
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
My 3.4L sits steady at 194-195 regardless of outside temps or engine load.